• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academic Requirements for Pilot or NFO

erelislt

Could anyone tell me what are academic requirements to be considered for Pilot or NFO designations? I am STA-21 selectee under CORE option and I would LOVE to go for Pilot or NFO but I selected economics as my major. Would I still be elligible for Pilot or NFO with economics degree? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Could anyone tell me what are academic requirements to be considered for Pilot or NFO designations? I am STA-21 selectee under CORE option and I would LOVE to go for Pilot or NFO but I selected economics as my major. Would I still be elligible for Pilot or NFO with economics degree? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As far as I understand from reading the instruction, CORE option selectees are in competition with the MIDN's at their respective ROTC units for selecting designators during their senior year. So, you need to bust your ass in school and make sure your GPA is top notch and that your performance within your ROTC unit is the same. Stand out from the pack and be at the top of the pile so that you get first pick or as close to it as possible and you should be able to get a Pilot/NFO spot. Have you taken the ASTB yet?

BOCOD

The instruction just says they want you to get a technical degree. My friend got selected CORE and was getting a civil engineering degree when he was chosen for Pilot. He said you just have to do well in school and on the ASTB. Check out the gouge for the ASTB on other threads. All of that is very useful to get ready for the test.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The instruction just says they want you to get a technical degree.

That's a recommendation, not a requirement. You can study whatever you want and still be competitive.

Brett

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Former Core STA-21...now SNFO

1. Poli Sci to Fly! You do not need a specific major to fly but you do need to do well. If you are good at and enjoy Engineering then go for it and it will open up cool things for you but if it isn't your forte I would not advise it just to get jets or whatever.

2. Kick butt on the ASTB

3. Keep up on your PT

4. From my understanding STA-21 Core guys and MIDN compete for the same quotas BUT they do not have to compete within the ROTC Unit for the PNS Points that go into the selection formula (e.g. as 1 of 1 OCs I got 100 and the #1 MIDN also got 100)

Good luck and enjoy school, it is one of the best deals in the Navy.

erelislt

Former Core STA-21...now SNFO

1. Poli Sci to Fly! You do not need a specific major to fly but you do need to do well. If you are good at and enjoy Engineering then go for it and it will open up cool things for you but if it isn't your forte I would not advise it just to get jets or whatever.

2. Kick butt on the ASTB

3. Keep up on your PT

4. From my understanding STA-21 Core guys and MIDN compete for the same quotas BUT they do not have to compete within the ROTC Unit for the PNS Points that go into the selection formula (e.g. as 1 of 1 OCs I got 100 and the #1 MIDN also got 100)

Good luck and enjoy school, it is one of the best deals in the Navy.

Thanks for the great imput. Any advise on preparing for ASTB?

SubtoSky

Officer NOooo...
None
More encouragement

Former STA-21, now SNFO;

I was a music major and I still got here and through API!! It's not rocket surgery, just requires a little effort. If I were you, I'd get in the pool now, cause that will probably be the toughest part given your obvious experience.

erelislt

Former STA-21, now SNFO;

I was a music major and I still got here and through API!! It's not rocket surgery, just requires a little effort. If I were you, I'd get in the pool now, cause that will probably be the toughest part given your obvious experience.

What do you mean by "pool"? Just want to make sure.