• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academic differences - AFROTC and NROTC

miaminick

Hey guys, I can't really find any topics talking about the academic differences between the two after searching, but bear with me if I missed something.

I'm an AS102 right now (2nd semester, freshman level AFROTC), but I'm 21 since I have changed major twice now... I know I'm only at the 102 class, but I'm really bored w/ it and almost disturbed by what I'm seeing so far in the program, and I want to see whether its the detachment, AFROTC, or ROTC in general.

Basically, it feels like kindergarten - the stuff we are learning is either borderline shortbus or useless... we keep reading these short stories about "right and wrong" that a 2-year old could figure out a logical answer to, things like "an officer steals X number of containers for personal use from his base. Is that wrong?" Also, a good deal of the class time is spent shooting the ****.... all in all it seems like I'd get more productivity sleeping in instead of going to this at 9am. Is this just the typical rotc 101/102 lvl classes, or more det and afrotc related? aside from morning pt and marching in LLAB, I think there isn't much to get out of the class... can you guys shed some light on NROTC differences, or your dets? Thanks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have no base of knowledge about AFROTC classes to make a comparison w/, but you will not find NROTC classes any less dumbed down I would imagine. The topics are covered in a way that your run-of-the-mill basket-weaver can understand......naval engineering was a joke, as were the nav classes. Haven't taken weapons yet, but I don't expect much of a difference. But take it for what it is worth....these classes are meant to build a VERY basic level of professional understanding. You will not be learning the skills necissary to perform your job in ROTC. For me, its an easy A, and I have no real complaints.....its a nice break from my engineering classes.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Hey maybe you should look in to the Marines PLC program. I seem like it may be better suited for you. No babying, No classes expect for OCS ECT. Also no school year commitments, I.e. ftx's, class, ECT. You would just attend OCS in the summer for either 6 weeks or 10 depending. This may be the way for you to go.