• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academic Achievement Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiangel

I was just curious is anyone knows if this award is good for anything. It was my understanding that tests do not count towards your actual selection NSS.

Rainman

pilot
Hey it goes in your nifty training folder and possibly on your love me wall. You can even work it onto your admin fitrep in some cases. Academics always counted for something for NSS. . but this has fluctuated.

Bevo16

pilot
You can put it on your refridgerator!

No it really does not really count toward anything, but it can be nice little gold star in your record that you can hold up if you trip somewhere in the program.

Take it that you are doing well, and keep up the good work.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
well you must remember, that being the smartest book genius in the world will NOT help you in the airplane. If you dont have the monkey skills you're dead in the water. i can see why it doesnt count, it doesnt show how good you fly.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
rare21 said:
well you must remember, that being the smartest book genius in the world will NOT help you in the airplane. If you dont have the monkey skills you're dead in the water. i can see why it doesnt count, it doesnt show how good you fly.

I'm going to disagree here. Studying and being prepared goes a long way - it really shows hustle and heart. I CAN teach you how to fly, after all, I seriously doubt if you were as bad as I was going through flight school (the proverbial gorilla on the controls - MUST MAKE INPUT!!!). You will develop monkey skills over time - some just take longer than others. The only thing I can't teach you is situational awareness - that you either have or you don't.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
oh yeah i totally agree on that, but i can know procedures by heart but if they arent performed in the airplane at the right time and right way its pretty much useless. Most likely the monkey skills will come but in this day and age (downsizing) is the Navy gonna wait that long for you to get the picture? Yes you do need to study..and study you will until your brain is fried, but as they said early on you should study and be doing something with your hands. For example as you study juggle, or throw a ball against a wall and catch it, that shows that you can know the procedures and have your hands performing it while you spout it off

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
rare21 said:
oh yeah i totally agree on that, but i can know procedures by heart but if they arent performed in the airplane at the right time and right way its pretty much useless. Most likely the monkey skills will come but in this day and age (downsizing) is the Navy gonna wait that long for you to get the picture? Yes you do need to study..and study you will until your brain is fried, but as they said early on you should study and be doing something with your hands. For example as you study juggle, or throw a ball against a wall and catch it, that shows that you can know the procedures and have your hands performing it while you spout it off

Pretty good idea.

zilber

pilot
I have noticed a trend of people who do well on their exams, do well in the plane. It doesn't mean that people who get 80's can't fly. Plus, these are Navy multiple choice exams :) Two answers are obviously wrong...

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i knew a guy who would ace all the tests and was great at book study. Still he was deemed unsafe for solo quite a few times even during PAs. Got the IPCs and everything. That and getting airsick each flight didnt help. No amount of studying is gonna help you stop puking.

Rainman

pilot
Yeah, that's what I remember--they counted.

I can't think of very many of the test acers that sucked in the plane. VERY prepared usually meant at least average in the plane.
all you can do is study, use gouge to test thyself (gouge 22% of the time is the actual test) [poll not scientific]. . and get the score you're gonna be happy with.
s/f

Status
Not open for further replies.