• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

About Navy Civil Engineer Program

Dan1550

I am new to this website and trying to find some other opinions about the Navy Civil Engineer Program. I have not signed up yet because I am not within the 2 year requirement of completing my degree. I am looking for some other personal experience with this program before I make a final decision.

Dan1550

It sounds like a great opportunity. I recently spoke with a graduate from my university with the same degree but did not go thru this program because he did not know about it. He actually went thru the NROTC program instead. One difference I noticed between the two programs is that after completing my Degree I will go to OCS as compared to NROTC I wouldnt. To me it sounds almost to good to be true. I mean, the the Navy actually paying me enlisted salary to go to school for two years without having to wear the uniform, cut my hair, or pt. Not that I would mind. I can't help but ask myself "Why are there not more people applying for this opportunity?" Am I missing something?

I am not able to apply yet, but as soon as I am able to I will. My only worry is that I want to, as much as possible, make me stand out over the others that are applying. Any suggestions?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
"Why are there not more people applying for this opportunity?" Am I missing something?

I am not able to apply yet, but as soon as I am able to I will. My only worry is that I want to, as much as possible, make me stand out over the others that are applying. Any suggestions?

Plain and simple, not many people know about it. The CEC is only about 1250 Officers strong. Also, you should note the distinct difference between NROTC and BDCP (the collegiate program)...NROTC picks up your tuition and you have no idea what you'll community you'll be serving in until service selection. With BDCP you apply for a specific community, and upon selection, you know what you'll be doing when you head off to OCS. Also, unless something has changed recently, ROTC types couldn't commission CEC unless they were Not Physically Qualified (NPQ) for a line community.

As for making yourself standout, it's pretty simple...just get good grades and participate in extracurriculars that you enjoy. I emphasize the enjoy part because too many people do shit just so it "looks good" on a resume or application. Truth is, it's phony and people can see right through it.

Dan1550

I met with an advisor this morning at my University and we created a semester by semester schedule in order for me to graduate. From the looks of it I won't be graduating until summer of 2011, possibly spring of 2011. How soon ahead of time should I apply? I know I have to be within 2 years of graduating in order to even be considered. That would put me at applying sometime next spring, right? How long does the application process take? What all is involved in the process? Will there be face to face interviews?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
How soon ahead of time should I apply? How long does the application process take? What all is involved in the process? Will there be face to face interviews?

There aren't exact answers to these questions. There's a possibility that you can interview with the East Coast Accessions officer based out of Norfolk, VA.

I would see a recruiter next fall to get the ball rolling. You can only be in the program for 2 years, but if you apply prior to that, you can ensure you'll be maxing out the 2 years and not waste any time on the selection process.

pulliam

Dan,

I've been a student in the CEC delayed entry program (DEP) since November, so I may be able to help you out a bit.

The application process can be long and tedious. If I remember correctly, it involves filling out an application, doing an online security application, sending in your transcripts, and meeting with your advisor to fill out the Navy's degree completion plan (just a list of every class you need to take to graduate and when you will take it). You also do have an in-person interview with an officer (I can't remember if it is before or after the paperwork). This interview isn't really anything to be worried about. It was surprisingly informal and laid back. They want to know why you think you would make a good officer and such.

Once this is all done, you wait to hear what they have to say (can take up to a month, I think).

If they do select you, you have to schedule a time to meet with your ascessions officer and they swear you in. Do this ASAP, since your pay starts from the date you swear in.

One other tidbit for you: I was told that the CEC program is lumped in with the BDCP, therefore you may be able to get in the program at 3 years from graduation. It may be harder to get accepted at this point in your academic carreer, however, it is worth a shot. Worst case scenario is that they don't accept you, and you re-apply at 2 years from graduation.

The process is long, but worth it. The biggest part that slowed my process down was my own ambition to fill out everything during a busy school year.

Good luck to you.

-Dan P.

Dan1550

Yeah, your right. I went ahead and met with a recruiter and received all the paper work needed to start the process now. There is alot to go over. I will go ahead and fill out all my paper work now and wait to submit my application until the fall semester grades are posted. That way I have some schooling under my belt. Sometime this coming fall I will go ahead and do the physical fitness test as well. Even though I will still be 2 1/2 years from graduating, when I submit my application, the recruiter said there is still a chance I might get picked up.

So, it is just as if I were to join enlisted? Does this inlcude housing allowance, insurance, and base shopping? I also heard that if this is something that I chose to do until retirement that the 2 to 2 1/2 years that we would be in school will count towards retirement. Do you know if that is true or not.

Thanks for you help

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So, it is just as if I were to join enlisted? Does this inlcude housing allowance, insurance, and base shopping? I also heard that if this is something that I chose to do until retirement that the 2 to 2 1/2 years that we would be in school will count towards retirement. Do you know if that is true or not.

Correct, when you go into the program you're active duty, but you don't really have a job. The time spent in the program (along with OCS) count towards retirement. Also, it counts towards pay so you'll commission as an O-1 with 2 years vice O-1 with zero.

ptd

BDCP is a great program...I'm still kicking myself now....I'm currently an ensign in CEC...it's a great community....best part, don't have to be on ship.....

brownshoe

Contributor
BDCP is a great program...I'm still kicking myself now....I'm currently an ensign in CEC...it's a great community....best part, don't have to be on ship.....

Um... This is the Navy, ships are kinda involved. I weep now as well, A4's.

Steve

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None

Yeah, tell that to my CEC buddy stuck for 18 months in Diego Garcia.