• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abnormal EKG

jpmatta16

I just had an EKG done on saturday and it came abnormal. It said that my bpm per minute were 44 and the normal for an adult is between 60 to 100, but the doctor said tha because im a young male athlete its normal. I did some research and it does say in every web page that for an athlete it could actually be between 30 to 60.My question is would that be a problem at MEPS?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
;) its cool..but there are a few medical types on here to help. plus i dont have it first hand but im sure someone reading will direct you to some links where you can read stuff yourself.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
yeah at MEPS my HR was 48, granted I think the cold room had something to do with it. Anyhow the doctor didn't say a word, doctors are fairly smart people believe it or not, and if you look athletic and have a low HR they can typically put the pieces of the puzzle together and figure it out.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, your buddy Lance Armstrong's Resting Heart Rate is 32 bpm. He's in pretty decent shape, I'd say.:icon_tong

badger16

None
at OCS my left ventricle(sp?) pumped harder then the others and the Flight Doc told me it shouldn't be an issue and that he does see it in some guys who run a lot (I do) but that to be sure everything was on the up and up, I needed to get an eco cardiogram,think ultra sound for your heart. So, I did and everything was fine. If you are healthy you have nothing to worry about.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
sinus bradychardia. Pretty common, especially for runners or others in good shape, and although it will be registered on your EKG, no one worries too much. On my "long form" flight physical last yesr, they hooked me up, got about 52 beats per minute, then the attending corpsman told me to do flutter kicks for a minute. That raised it up to 68 or so, to get a "good" read.

So if you are concerned that someone will question your health, do a couple of flutters when they get you to lie down.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
sinus bradychardia. Pretty common, especially for runners or others in good shape, and although it will be registered on your EKG, no one worries too much. On my "long form" flight physical last yesr, they hooked me up, got about 52 beats per minute, then the attending corpsman told me to do flutter kicks for a minute. That raised it up to 68 or so, to get a "good" read.

So if you are concerned that someone will question your health, do a couple of flutters when they get you to lie down.
I honestly thought that was the norm. It definitely makes things easier, anyway. The one time the tech didn't have me get my HR up, I found myself in front of the cardiologist for an eval, an echocardiogram, a 'Gattaca-style' stress test, and a waiver. All because of an extended PR interval, which apparently would have resolved itself at a higher bpm. So I guess that's about the worst that can happen if you're otherwise healthy.