• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A7 midair wreckage found 37 years later

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This is a great story, as the Admiral clearly says he caused the incident. Yet, he wasn't sh*t-canned and went on to have a distinguished Naval career as an officer and carrier aviator. I hope this is still possible in the New, Action Navy.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
This is a great story, as the Admiral clearly says he caused the incident. Yet, he wasn't sh*t-canned and went on to have a distinguished Naval career as an officer and carrier aviator. I hope this is still possible in the New, Action Navy.

Yeah, concur. He fessed up right away and didn't do this:

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."

Same thing I was thinking when I read that article.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crashes were far more common back in the day. And forgiven.
I remember being told that a Naval Aviator flying a tactical jet would, on average have to eject once every five years during his career! [Fortunately for me, some guys doubled or tripled up on their ejections to balance out my "zero ejections."]

I don't know the accuracy, but I will never forget Thomas Wolfe's 1979 quote in The Right Stuff:

"A career Navy pilot faced a 23 percent likelihood of dying in an accident. This did not even include deaths in combat, which at that time with the war in Vietnam in progress, were catastrophically high for Navy pilots.... also there was a 56 percent probability exactly that at some point in his career a Navy pilot would have to eject from his aircraft and attempt to come down by parachute."

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crashes were far more common back in the day. And forgiven.

I think the Admiral might have acknowledged that, had his mishap occurred in today's climate of 'zero tolerance', his career would have been essentially over.:confused:
BzB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know of an otherwise qualified senior officer who has been prevented from being promoted due solely to a mishap? I don't. AFAIK, that information wouldn't even be available to a selection board, nor would it be "admissible" for consideration unless it were part of a FITREP. So, barring loss of wings or designator following a mishap, I don't see how it would factor in at all. Of course, if the mishap were a symptom of an officer who gravitates toward buffoonery in general, then that aspect of the individual's overall performance would be reflected in a lackluster FITREP.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know of an otherwise qualified senior officer who has been prevented from being promoted due solely to a mishap? I don't. AFAIK, that information wouldn't even be available to a selection board, nor would it be "admissible" for consideration unless it were part of a FITREP. So, barring loss of wings or designator following a mishap, I don't see how it would factor in at all. Of course, if the mishap were a symptom of an officer who gravitates toward buffoonery in general, then that aspect of the individual's overall performance would be reflected in a lackluster FITREP.

I don't know if was from the mishap per se, but the results of a FNAEB would definitely impact your promotability.

Results of an SIR would not be available to the board but information that finds its way into a Pg-13 entry or a blurb on the FitRep would be seen by the board.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
(CNN) -- Former naval aviator Bob Besal was just 24 when his life literally took a dive.
Besal was piloting a Vought A-7C on a training mission 20 miles east of St. Augustine, Florida, more than 37 years ago when his light attack aircraft collided with another plane at 15,000 feet, sending his jet spiraling into the Atlantic. Besal ejected safely from the cockpit; his plane sank to the bottom of the ocean. The other plane limped back to base.
This month, Besal's past caught up with the present as divers found his wreckage, and the story can now be written about the people who recently found it and Besal's reaction.

Story Here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/22/us/pilot-wreckage/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

120822032507-bob-besal-story-top.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if was from the mishap per se, but the results of a FNAEB would definitely impact your promotability.

Results of an SIR would not be available to the board but information that finds its way into a Pg-13 entry or a blurb on the FitRep would be seen by the board.
Or a JAG mishap investigation?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

You're writing off the possibility of someone who was an otherwise fine officer making a single airmanship mistake and getting tanked on their FITREP as a result.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're writing off the possibility of someone who was an otherwise fine officer making a single airmanship mistake and getting tanked on their FITREP as a result.
I'm not writing it off, but unless the CO thought the guy was AFU, it doesn't seem likely. A CO could also give someone a shitty FITREP because that person was the wrong race or religion - those are possibilities, but they're not possibilities that should keep anyone up at night.

Like we've been saying, assuming the mishap officer is an otherwise due course guy, the likelihood of a CO punishing him for a mishap seems remote - not impossible, just remote.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm not writing it off, but unless the CO thought the guy was AFU, it doesn't seem likely. A CO could also give someone a shitty FITREP because that person was the wrong race or religion - those are possibilities, but they're not possibilities that should keep anyone up at night.

Like we've been saying, assuming the mishap officer is an otherwise due course guy, the likelihood of a CO punishing him for a mishap seems remote - not impossible, just remote.

Brett - I agree with you, however I get the impression from guys in some of our more parochial communities that this might not be case. Either that or there are some folks out there in denial about their performance... :cool:

I can think of four guys involved in one mishap (in three separate aircraft) who've all screened for command.