• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A4s Favorite Foreign Airline Doing its Thing.....

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Wow, just how many times did the right gear bounce? I think I counted 4, or was it more?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KAL pilots -- possibly the worst in the world ... unless, of course, we go to China, Malaya, Thailand, .... hell, basically ANYWHERE in SE Asia ... Russia, Africa, Mexico, SA, a couple of countries in Europe, the Middle East ... etc., etc. .... :)

But when you fly over the formerly black burned-out spot on Nimitz Hill VOR in 1997 (those of you who know -- know what I'm talkin' about) ... you are reminded how absolutely lousy KAL pilots are ...

But their mech's were generally pretty good -- at least I could 'manage' them to my advantage on a regular basis ... but after discussing the MX problem at hand, I usually had to leave the cockpit ... gasping for air ... wiping the kimche-garlic breath stains off of my uniform and my skin ...

Sometimes we burned our uniforms ...

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
But their mech's were generally pretty good -- at least I could 'manage' them to my advantage on a regular basis ... but after discussing the MX problem at hand, I usually had to leave the cockpit ... [highlight]gasping for air ... wiping the kimche-garlic breath stains off of my uniform and my skin ...[/highlight][highlight]

Sometimes we burned our uniforms ... [/highlight]

I work with a couple guys that have the same effect.

OldNavy

KAL pilots -- possibly the worst in the world ... unless, of course, we go to China, Malaya, Thailand, .... hell, basically ANYWHERE in SE Asia ... Russia, Africa, Mexico, SA, a couple of countries in Europe, the Middle East ... etc., etc. .... :)

But when you fly over the formerly black burned-out spot on Nimitz Hill VOR in 1997 (those of you who know -- know what I'm talkin' about) ... you are reminded how absolutely lousy KAL pilots are ...

But their mech's were generally pretty good -- at least I could 'manage' them to my advantage on a regular basis ... but after discussing the MX problem at hand, I usually had to leave the cockpit ... gasping for air ... wiping the kimche-garlic breath stains off of my uniform and my skin ...

Sometimes we burned our uniforms ...

How far is the VOR from COMNAVMAR?

I used to live there, but years eariler.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Apparently the phrase "wave off" doesn't appear in the Korean language.

Not to get into a spitting contest but...

That Boeing doesn't have the instant power like your P-3. The power was at or very near flight idle. Spool up time varies but on the CFMs I flew with you are looking at 7-10 seconds once power is set. Combine that with the airspeed decreasing below Vref while the pilot handles the PIO and you are set up for something ugly. Setting power and go around attitude in that situation COULD cause you to fly an underpowered, too slow aircraft out of ground effect into a stall. As an E-6 IP in this situation we were taught to set the power and maintain a landing attitude while waiting on the power just in case you touched down (and you would). Once the power came in we would accelerate in ground effect and then climb out once at a safe speed. IMO, the easiest thing the pilot could have done would be to blow off rolling it on and accept the firm landing with adverse winds present i.e. set her down and deploy the spoilers. Boeing landing data has the spoilers deployed in a couple seconds of touchdown (1.8 seconds for max braking and spoilers deployed on the E-6). Watch the video and see what effect (hard to see) the spoilers have on the lateral stability once he FINALLY used them.

While wave offs/go arounds are in airline pilots language, many pilots hesitate to use them because of the headaches they can cause. It isn't the right attitude but it is what it is. We teach that waveoffs are free. In an airlines case they are not. A4s can speak to this part.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....While wave offs/go arounds are in airline pilots language, many pilots hesitate to use them because of the headaches they can cause. It isn't the right attitude but it is what it is. We teach that waveoffs are free. In an airlines case they are not. A4s can speak to this part.
Well ... I can see where you get that as I've worked w/ a LOT of different guys from a LOT of different backgrounds ... but I don't think it's as prevalent in the U.S. airlines as most military pilots might think. I never had any airline instructor/check airman 'suggest or infer' that we don't do WO's/Go-Arounds in the airlines because there might be some blow-back from Flight Ops or any other corporate entity. In point of fact, all the airline training I received was just the opposite as far as 'attitude' towards your 'last-ditch-manuever' reaction(s) -- i.e., WOs/Go-Arounds -- when you're in the short-hairs.

When the situation dictates -- you Go-Around (Wave-Off), period.

Personally, I NEVER taught anyone to hesitate to WO/Go-Around if the situation dictated it -- and that's in 1000's of hours in the SIMs and @ 25K in the air. On the contrary, I taught it was GOOD headwork to go around if needed: a judgment call, as always. It's always better to be able to come back & do it again (if conditions permit) -- instead of crashing & burning by trying to 'force it'.

I can categorically state that I NEVER saw any airline pilot get second-guessed for taking a WO/GA ... but as with anything you do in aviation that doesn't go strictly 'by the book' ... you have to be able to answer for it.

'Safety considerations' will always 'answer for it' ... :)

No problem: know your airplane, know your limits, know the score.

Piece of cake.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How far is the VOR from COMNAVMAR?....
Hafa Adai ...

I don't know where CINC Marianas is physically located but the VOR is @ 4.5 or 5 NM from the center of Apra Harbor, and @ 3.3 from the TDZ @ 6L GUM ... that's just guessin', didn't measure.

guamplan.gif

LowWingLoad

I miss watching KAL go into Kai Tak, now those where some sporting approaches to watch crappy pilots make, especially when the wind was up.