• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A "what are my chances" type thread...

aukonak

Hi all.

So I'm shooting for SNA, for the boards this month. Time is short, but I have most of my materials together already and my recruiter told me that as long as I get it all to them by the 15th, I'll be good to go.

Here's a brief overview:
- American University, BA International Relations GPA 3.3
- Yearlong study abroad in Russia. Volunteer work in Italy and Spain. Random travel to 20 or so other countries.
- Community service in HS, Civil Air Patrol, Varsity Soccer.
- PPL Single-engine, land obtained when I was 17

Selected for USMC Air last year, disenrolled before shipping due to injury. Fine now.

ASTB and OAR: 6/6/6 51. Took it for the Marines and was satisfied as it was passing.

Interviews:
- Potential former Navy O-6, SNA. Can they be retired or must they be AD?

LORs:
- College professor
- 2 Naval retirees, one O-6 from Subs, one former aviator (not sure what rank he retired with).
- Current employer (contractor)
- Current supervisor (contractee, the U.S. State Dept.)
- Family friend who's a retired airline pilot and professional stunt pilot extraordinaire
- Family friend, former Merchant Marine
...and possibly some more here and there, including a Circuit court judge and a former senator from my state.

So here's my dilemma. My recruiter told me that he believes I'm competitive with that score and there's no need to retake. There's also the fact that I would have to take it 4 days from now, giving me just a weekend to cram when I haven't looked any of this material in about a year. Still, I think there's a good chance I'd improve my score. I've gotten the impression that 6/6/6 51 is not very competitive by reading these forums, thoughts? Also would like an answer regarding the interview question above if anyone's got an answer.

Thanks in advance!

A

AlexSmart

The most current information I have read from others in the July Boards thread (in addition to an email conversation I just had with my Officer Recruiter) is that Pilot and NFO boards will not be held until September. The July and August boards have been suspended. Since this is the case, you actually have until August 15th to improve your ASTB score.

aukonak

The most current information I have read from others in the July Boards thread (in addition to an email conversation I just had with my Officer Recruiter) is that Pilot and NFO boards will not be held until September. The July and August boards have been suspended. Since this is the case, you actually have until August 15th to improve your ASTB score.

Right. I got the impression that my recruiter was talking about the June boards that meet on the 25th of this month. He told me that if I can get my package sent out by the 15th, it'll make it in time for those.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hi all.

So I'm shooting for SNA, for the boards this month. Time is short, but I have most of my materials together already and my recruiter told me that as long as I get it all to them by the 15th, I'll be good to go.

Here's a brief overview:
- American University, BA International Relations GPA 3.3
- Yearlong study abroad in Russia. Volunteer work in Italy and Spain. Random travel to 20 or so other countries.
- Community service in HS, Civil Air Patrol, Varsity Soccer.
- PPL Single-engine, land obtained when I was 17

Selected for USMC Air last year, disenrolled before shipping due to injury. Fine now.

ASTB and OAR: 6/6/6 51. Took it for the Marines and was satisfied as it was passing.

Interviews:
- Potential former Navy O-6, SNA. Can they be retired or must they be AD?

LORs:
- College professor
- 2 Naval retirees, one O-6 from Subs, one former aviator (not sure what rank he retired with).
- Current employer (contractor)
- Current supervisor (contractee, the U.S. State Dept.)
- Family friend who's a retired airline pilot and professional stunt pilot extraordinaire
- Family friend, former Merchant Marine
...and possibly some more here and there, including a Circuit court judge and a former senator from my state.

So here's my dilemma. My recruiter told me that he believes I'm competitive with that score and there's no need to retake. There's also the fact that I would have to take it 4 days from now, giving me just a weekend to cram when I haven't looked any of this material in about a year. Still, I think there's a good chance I'd improve my score. I've gotten the impression that 6/6/6 51 is not very competitive by reading these forums, thoughts? Also would like an answer regarding the interview question above if anyone's got an answer.

Thanks in advance!

How do I get THAT job?!

I'd say right now those scores probably aren't competitive but what the hell I'd submit if your package is ready. You can always resubmit immediately after a retake. So submit. Keep studying and be ready to rock it if you need to take it again.

Good luck.

aukonak

How do I get THAT job?!

I'd say right now those scores probably aren't competitive but what the hell I'd submit if you're package is ready. You can always resubmit immediately after a retake. So submit. Keep studying and be ready to rock it if you need to take it again.

Good luck.

Haha, the language was funny on the interview description, my bad.

Thanks for your input!

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
You meant "NA" for Naval Aviator. SNA = Student Naval Aviator.

And ASTB...I'd improve it if you can. Sure, you could get worse, but if you study hard, that shouldn't happen. And it sounds like you got time to study.

aukonak

I even bolded it for you in my quote....

I focused on the "potential former" part and didn't even notice the fact that I wrote (and you bolded SNA). So much for the attention to detail that I mentioned in my motivational statement.

So I decided to re-take it next week. I think one weekend of studying should be good enough.

perkinshe

I just took the ASTB on Tuesday. I got a 7/7/7 53. I am trying to get in on the July board but my OR said that there is no way the he can get my packet together in time. I graduate with a degree in Geography with a 3.34.
LORs are 3 employers. 2 professors one is the chair of the department that I graduated from
3 family friends one is the VP of the university that I graduate from.
one retired marine 0-4-Old high school soccer coach
one retired marine/coast guard aviator 0-5
one retired navy 0-5 who is an instructor at primary-whiting field.
Just wondering what everyone thinks about my chances of getting selected. Do you guy's think that I should try to take the ASTB again since I probably will have to wait until the September board.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
If you haven't filled out any of your other paperwork, it's going to be difficult to get it in for the July board. Half of the stuff you're asked for on the SF86 are things you won't even remember clearly, and you'll have to go back to previous resumes or documents to figure out what the heck you did seven years ago. If you're at all like me, you'll need so many verifiers it will take you weeks or months just to track down enough people to even ask for their information.

I think a 7/7/7 is fantastic, and a 53 OAR is good to go. I have a 5/6/5 52, and was told I was good to go.

This being said, we're all pretty much sure there are no aviator boards for July. Still tying to confirm from as many sources as possible that there are no SWO boards. SWO/IP and SWO/IW seem to be happening. Seems like you want an aviation billet so... I think trying to get things in time for the July board is really irrelevant.

aukonak

I just took the ASTB on Tuesday. I got a 7/7/7 53. I am trying to get in on the July board but my OR said that there is no way the he can get my packet together in time. I graduate with a degree in Geography with a 3.34.
LORs are 3 employers. 2 professors one is the chair of the department that I graduated from
3 family friends one is the VP of the university that I graduate from.
one retired marine 0-4-Old high school soccer coach
one retired marine/coast guard aviator 0-5
one retired navy 0-5 who is an instructor at primary-whiting field.
Just wondering what everyone thinks about my chances of getting selected. Do you guy's think that I should try to take the ASTB again since I probably will have to wait until the September board.

Do you know why your OR told you there's no way he'll get your package submitted in time? If the July boards aren't cancelled, you should have at least a couple of more days. Plenty of time to fill out your SF86 if you just hunker down and do it, if you haven't already.

Seafort, I guess he's in the same position I am- I reconfirmed it with my NORS Commander and the OR I've been mostly dealing with...they say the July boards have not been cancelled.

Lucy

It might be the dates got moved up for submission, as in by Tuesday. This was the case for my office. Normally the 24th but by the 16th for this month. SF86 isn't too bad, except for needing different references for every page, this is what got me.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I needed a total of 24 different verifiers due to a period of time where I had multiple jobs and multiple residences in a short period of time. I had to use three SF86a extensions. Took me about three weeks total, and that was with already having about six or seven people I knew I could count on and already had information for.

aukonak

I was told today that July boards for Aviators are cancelled. Go figure!

On the bright side, I have more time to study for an ASTB retake...crammed all this past weekend, going to give myself another week and then take the test while the material's still fresh. The only section that really gives me problems consistently is math. The mechanical portion sometimes gives me trouble, but I'm better with it now.

More time to strengthen my package, but it's amazing how helpful people can be when you reach out on short notice.

In one week I managed to secure 6 LoRs, including 1 from a former Naval Aviator. 3 Interviews: two retired 0-6 Aviator/Top Gun graduates and another Navy O-6, retired, from a different community. I think with some stronger ASTB scores I'll have a great package. BTW this isn't meant to brag as much as it is to show what one can accomplish in a short time.

SF86 was a pain...I did one last year and have a current clearance but I was told to do it again anyway. What's with these E-forms that you can't save?!? I was lucky enough to get one copy printed before I accidentally hit the "back" button and 2 hours' work.