• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

a varsity move

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Pretty awesome.

On a side note, anytime I've heard "it was a pretty varsity move," the preceding words were something to the extent of "I was certain you f*cked it away..." Then to follow, "It's probably easier if you don't put yourself in that situation." Guess that applies here too!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
way to go, mugs...1500' agl

If I was that RIO, I think I would have crapped myself.

I suppose desperate times do call for desperate measures. I don't know whether that was smart, ballsy, or just plain stupid; but whatever it was, it got the job done.

KBayDog

Insane.

Question, since I don't know much 'bout you fast-moving types: Would the HAL-9000s on today's birds let something like that happen?

In any event, not to derail this thread too much, but it reminds me of some other shenanigans that took place at Angels 1.5 (they're probably outside the ejection envelope at that altitue ;)):

(I know the above video is a repost, but I'm too lazy this morning to find it.)

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i have a fuzzy memory of that demo on the cover of navy times in '68 while at p-cola.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Mugs had balls that clanked I think. I heard he was very much the Navy's Robin Olds...though only an O-4 at the time.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Impressive. For the rest of us departing controlled flight at 1500 AGL probably wouldn't go quite as well.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When i was in Pcola in 1983-84, the NARF (NADEP or whatever you guys call the rework facilities now days) pilots use to loop CH-53s as part of the post depot test flight. Very cool to watch.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mugs had balls that clanked I think. I heard he was very much the Navy's Robin Olds...though only an O-4 at the time.

I knew Mugs when he was in VF-142 & I in VA-146 on the '67 CONSTELLATION adventure. He was a unique, likeable character & talented Phantum driver (got his SS MIG). Especially colorful in the Cubi club (our antics ashore in WestPAC during the Vietnam era, would not go over well in today's Navy).:eek:

Navy's Robin Olds.....that's probably a stretch (though he had the requisite 'stache). We had thought that was Randy C. but, unfortunately, he forfeited that honor.
BzB

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
South-Park14x03.jpg

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
"Especially colorful in the Cubi club (our antics ashore in WestPAC during the Vietnam era, would not go over well in today's Navy).:eek:"

geeze.... not something i could relate to, bzb.
:)
NAS%20Cubi%20Point%20runway.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Looking at that pic makes me wonder....did guys bounce there? Seems like a weird place to have carrier boxes

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I was that RIO, I think I would have crapped myself.

I suppose desperate times do call for desperate measures. I don't know whether that was smart, ballsy, or just plain stupid; but whatever it was, it got the job done.

Mugs was to the F-4 as Jimi Hendrix was to the guitar. He could do things with that aircraft that were unimaginable. Of course he practiced quite a bit with out-of-control maneuvers like the one depicted. And they really worked, although extremely difficult to do correctly... and never advised at that altitude.

I believe the actual maneuver was slightly different than is shown in the animation, but no less impressive or dangerous. I saw and talked to both of them after that mission and although they were successful, they were white as a sheet too. They thought they had bought it! They are 10 times more calm discussing it now.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking at that pic makes me wonder....did guys bounce there? Seems like a weird place to have carrier boxes
Bounced there all the time, but usually from the opposite runway. Outside of Atsugi, it was about the only game in WestPac to bounce.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
the f-4 was short coupled ... it seems to me mugs coupled up negatively and to the left and then positively and to the right.
the return to controlled flight took just the right amount of lead as did the the 'mid couple' reversal.
i'm guessing the speed at entry was 350-400 ias. i don't understand the minimal altitude loss (if there was any), maybe just flight path inertia. once he started flying again he would have been outside the mig's turn radius but probably within 40 deg of the tailpipe... good enough for the
aim-9. i would also guess he had at least a little and maybe a lot of opening when he took the shot.
a-freekin'-mazing.