• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A subject long gone but now ressurected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

Hey everyone, here goes. I am a college sophmore majoring in Business Man. (BS degree) and I am considering a switch to Poli Sci (BA). Obviously, there is no calculus in poli sci :) and BUS is more mathematically oriented than poli sci. I do understand that all majors are respected on an app with a decent gpa (whole person concept) but its flight school I am thinking about. Will I really bust ass harder than the next guy because I have never "touched" a graphing calculator, so to speak. Tech/math majors are regarded higher because of this I THINK. I do also understand that theres awesome pilots out there who majored in poli sci, but maybe they have the aptitude for math? Im just not someone who favors math and would rather not take calculus and therefore might be behind with my pre-school mathematics ;)Does this apply to both AF and Navy training styles? I am considering both services. Any thoughts guys? Thanks in advance and please excuse the novel.

Shepherd

Being a sophomore, you have enough time for a math minor or even double major. Heck, you could even audit the math classes just for the practice. All you need to do is work hard and it can be done.

A posteriori

aoconnor

Jason,
I sucked at math, I have always hated it, BUT after having a real focus, the Navy, I was able to tackle it. I ended up taking calculus as an elective last spring. At first it started to kick my butt, but I just bucked up and kicked its ass and got a B. If you take good notes, study hard, and even goto a tutor (most schools have free tutors) you can handle it. As far as the graphing calc goes, I look at my TI-83 as a trophy, it got me through some tough times. If it helps I would be more than glad to give you the heads up on calculus, such as what you may expect (derivs, anti-derivs, limits, summation, etc..).

My recruiter said that pilots need to have at least a philosophy degree, therefore you should be ok either way.

Hope this helps,
Adam O

RC

I had lots of calc classes (3) and we werent allowed through the door with a staight line calculator, let alone a graphing calculator. Major pain in the ass. Nonetheless, im here, i made it. The best thing is a math tutor. I had 2 friends that were math majors, that probably why I passed them all the first time around. Wasnt for them, id probably still be trying to figure out the derivative of 2x. Another thing i can say, i guess i was smart about was i got help before it was too late. Once you get behind in any math course its like trying to make up 10 laps in the daytona 500, it just doesnt happen.

Edited by - RC on 07/10/2002 21:24:22

kaiangel

I dont't know how different the situation is for my since I am in an active duty commissioning program, but this is how they told me that service selection goes. First off, your GPA is the most important thing. However, based on your major your GPA is weighted. Technical (engineering) majors are weighted highest, followed by math and science majors, and then finally non-technical (everything else). So there really isn't any difference between Business and Poli Sci in that respect. The most important thing is to get a high GPA in whatever you major in. At least thats what they tell me.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
As applicants, we must take the ASTB and demonstrate math competency. If you aren't competent at math, you won't do well on the ASTB. (There wasn't any calculus on my ASTB test)

As far as college majors, I say to major in whatever interests you or what you want to do after your service commitment is up. Just make sure to do well in whatever you do. That advice probably applies to all parts of the application process.

One caveat: I've heard that the services favor more technical majors (math, physics, engineering, etc...) when selecting test pilots, and later, astronauts.

Too bad I majored in Budweiser.

ghost_ttu

Some would argue that school is easier to handle with maturity. With that being said, if you grab your poly sci now, end up flying later and then later go get your Masters in Math, CIS, or something technical (on the governments dollar of course) you would be a good candidate for those jobs previously listed.

JasonG

Can you get a Masters in a tech degree or math after having a BA in Poli Sci? Seems weird to do that; from "budweiser" to Physics?

I also understand that getting selected is not a problem with concerns to a major with a high GPA. Its really the performance in flight school I want to know about. There was someone who posted in the "Primary" forum who mentioned having a hard time because he lacked the mathematical background. Will entering flight school without a math/tech background be like running a marathon without every excersizing for "me" ? (poor analogy :) )

What does maturity have to do with major? I doubt anything; maturity has to do more with GPA perhaps. Look at some of the greatest officers/pilots, they didnt major in something tech or what not.

Edited by - JasonG on 07/11/2002 15:50:57

Edited by - JasonG on 07/11/2002 18:31:07

ghost_ttu

My maturity arguement is in reference to your school performance. Just saying that with maturity, you care less about majoring in budweiser, and more about doing that extra credit assignment.

cman

Jason, I knew a guy in college that was getting his PhD in poli sci. His masters was also poli sci, but his undergraduate degree was CS. So, I don't see why you couldn't get a masters in a tech field if this guy went from tech to social science. It may depend on the school though as well as how well you score on the GRE/GMAT.

CMS

JasonG

Thanks alot for your input guys, I appreciate it. I will look into things as far as a masters in a tech field goes (curiosity). I dont know why I would go from poli sci (potential president) to tech

Status
Not open for further replies.