• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A slap in the face to Marines in the AZ Republic

Yanqui

Hi, I'm new here. Now is not a good time for introductions. Something more important. The Arizona Republic has a cartoonist by the name of Steven Benson. We all have the right to his/her opinion. This is what was in the newspaper. I don't know how to post pictures but luckily a fellow Arizonian posted it in leverguns.com. Here is the link. See if your are not appalled by it like I am. Please send them a letter telling them how you feel. And pass it on to our brothers/sisters so that they too can be appalled.

http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18604

plc67

pilot
Haven't these guys gone after the Corps in the past? It rings a distant bell on something to do with the mocking of the flag raising on Mount Surabachi.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The worst thing we can do is to give these kind of jokers attention by way of radio or print interviews, tv time, and yes even emailing them. Don't do it. Let em be and they'll just die a slow miserable death.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Glad to see the Vet. who posted that is sending the cartoon to Leatherneck, VFW, and etc. Let the "Your a douchebag for printing that" e-mails start to pour in to the Arizona Republic.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I think I concur with Steve. The response is probably going to be the same as it was here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/01/AR2006020102465.html

wash time article said:
"""Toles, who won a 1990 Pulitzer Prize for the Buffalo News and joined The Post in 2002, said he expected criticism for drawing the quadruple amputee, as he does for about two-thirds of his efforts.

"It is the nature of cartooning that someone can read an analogy a cartoon uses to mean things other than what was intended," Toles said. "The only way to avoid that problem is to draw cartoons that have no impact.""""

~Great an F'n cartoonist is trying to make an impact. Sad state of the world.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It's always "I may not agree with what you are saying, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it"...right up until it gets personal.

I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. And the Constitution makes no caveat in it's blanket freedom of speech/press, despite how offensive it may be. The Supreme Court has been quite clear on this matter.

(Yes, I understand there are several caveats which have since been included in the 1st Amendment which restrict certain types of free speech in certain conditions. This is certainly not one of them.)

When the Dutch Newspaper posted the cartoons that offended the Muslims, I sided with the newspaper because I believe in a free press which has the right even to be offensive. It would be quite hypocritical for me to not defend the newspaper now simply because it is I who am offended.

Is it offensive? Yes. So what...I'm gonna go have a beer.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HueyCobra8151 said:
Is it offensive? Yes. So what...I'm gonna go have a beer.
I don't agree on the offensive nature. The ONLY way you can be offended is if you let something offend you. Yes, there is a conscious choice in the matter.

Concur on the beer, though. Cheers. :icon_zbee

AV8BQAR

Mech
This is retarded. Don't give the AZ guys the rise they want with attention over this stupid cartoon. They can eat sh!t and die, and I will not care one bit. Semper Fidelis.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This guy is a tool. He just does it to get attention. He did a similar cartoon shortly after the Texas A&M bonfire accident (where 12 people died) that got everybody (myself included) all spooled up. He just has no class. That's not a crime. I don't/won't buy this newspaper soley because of him. That's all you can really do to have any effect.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
ghost119 said:
When will these liberal pacifist pieces of sh!t learn that in these modern wars, there are no such things as 'civilians' and 'noncombatants'?
So when does the carpet bombing begin?

zuggerat

i hope stevewilkins avatar finds the cartoonist

"nice doggy niiiiccceeee doggy"

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't you just love the freedom of speech? Don't complain about it on this forum, retaliate with the same freedom on his forum. Let him know you are and the displeasure you take at his armchair quarterbacking. If this is a coverup, we are sure pretty bad at it. Funny, no one ever mentions the grenade attack on the unit prior to the Marines engaging. Of course, that's the rest of the story. Semper Fly