• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

a question for the wives

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
hey all,

I have a question for any of the spouses of Naval Aviators.

I have seen a lot of posts here talking about what the spouses can do in their free time or about work on base.

Now my question is: my fiance is going to college with me right now. While she fully supports me with the Navy, she also wants to go pre med and become a doctor. Now im curious are a lot of you college educated or have big careers like a doctor or something? Could me being an aviator and her having such a big job as the medical field be rough on our relationship (on top of the stressed already imposed on Navy wives)? Also, are their jobs open in the md field for civilians on base?

Sorry about all the questions, im just a little curious. I know she is also.

kismet423

Well I'm not a spouse of a Naval Aviator, nor do I have a 'big' career like a doctor (I assume lawyers fall in that category too?) Haha. I did obtain my Master's degree and my husband is in the Navy, so I'll go ahead and answer as if I qualify.
icon_smile.gif

To answer one question, I do believe there are positions available for civilians on base. At least in the field of speech pathology, I know at Balboa in San Diego they hired civilian SLPs and could be extremely picky as the job position was so highly desired. Here's the link for civilian jobs: http://www.donhr.navy.mil/Jobs/default.asp The military should give preference to your spouse (you will need to be married) over other civilians.

I would say you both will have extremely busy lives and schedules, and that may strain your relationship. I can imagine that maybe her only early night home one week will be your duty day. It is something to consider. Another thing would be if and when you plan on having children. Would it be worth it for her to become a doctor (I know it takes many years) and then decide in a couple years that you want children? Would she want to stay home with them? What will she do if you do have kids and you deploy since she will be the main caregiver? Will both of you be absent? I hope this isn't coming across too harsh, but in my opinion both jobs can be stressful and very time consuming. It is difficult enough with one spouse being gone much of the time, with the other having a flexible schedule. If you don't plan on having a family, then I think it might work out as you will both be extremely focused on your careers. You will have that in common, and can therefore understand eachother if your schedules conflict for months on end.

Hope this helped...

Karianne

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
thanks a lot..that does help...

We would like to have kids...but its something we with to have later in life. She is pretty undecided about where she is gonna go with her career, she just knows that she wants to do something in the medical profession, but a year ago she wanted to be some sort of sports teacher...so who knows what it will be in a year.

BTW..I asked this question because it seems like I know a lot of spouses that are basically "housewives". Judging from my fiance's personality, she would be incrediably bored with this, and I want for her to be happy.

I would say having a masters is a pretty big deal in my book. ;)

Meegz

Just an idea to consider if your girlfriend is interested in the medical profession. My sister is a nurse. She has gotten a job with an agency that will place her with hospitals on a temporary basis, pretty much in the city of her choice. They pay for housing, and she gets paid more per hour than regular nurses. The job she is looking at now has a $4,000 signing bonus for a 3 month placement. She makes about as much money as I do as a lawyer and doesn't have the school loans. She has the perfect job for a Navy wife. I am so jelous! Btw, they need nurses everywhere!

Meghan

ghost_ttu

Another possibily for a nurse is to be a school nurse. They usually make around 40K starting and it's the 8-5 type thing and you get the school holidays off. So that might be something she would want to consider. And there are schools EVERYWHERE. So the demand will most likely be relatively high.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

kismet423

There are many jobs in the medical profession, so it might be beneficial for her to determine exactly what type of job most suits her. For example, does she want/need a fast paced job? Does she like the blood and guts, or would she be okay with a job dealing in rehab instead? There are tons of good paying medical jobs out there...pharmacist, physician's assistant, respiratory therapist, radiologist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, etc. usually have set daytime schedules where she could be home in the evenings so you have time together...basically more conducive to the military lifestyle.
icon_smile.gif
I will add though that having a job where you work in a school or hospital is the way to go as far as careers for military spouses since schools/hospitals are everywhere you move!

-Karianne

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
wow thats all great info, everybody. I'll definately tell her about this. I think she could really get into any medical profession.

Thanks a lot everybody. Its been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.