• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A question for all those commisioned through OCS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

Hello once again, I have been researching the BDCP and was told by a few people now that it is extremly competative now because of the economy going down the application for military jobs have skyrocketed (more secure jobs). I know I'd make an excellent officer let alone aviator but due to a freshman year folly I have a low 2's as my GPA (non-tech major) and I am a sophmore. Are my chances week, can I apply for OCS as an SNA without getting the BDCP, would it be more likely to get a slot that way? Thank you guys once again for taking the time out to answer some questions and I hope to see you in the air soon.

Best regards,
Jason

Astrelka

Hey you kind of sound like me. Although I'm going to rub in the fact that my gpa isn't in the low 2's. But it's bad enough. I also am an economics major. Applying for BDCP isn't going to hurt your chances of getting into OCS or SNA. I got into OCS with SNA slot but didn't get into BDCP. I made up for my grades with good letters of reccomendation, a solid interview, and I aced the test. Study your ass off for the test. (Get the ARCO book) It may look easy, but you want to do the very best you can. If you've got the desire to get in, your grades won't stop you. Be sure to tell the recruiter why your grades were bad and why they're getting better. Good Luck!!

-Andy

JasonG

As far as applying to OCS for SNA, how early can I apply. Also, what kind of reccomendations can I get that will count considering that I don't have contacts with military officers. If getting Officer reccomendations are a must how can I go about getting them.

If I transfer from one college to another I understand my previous GPA is wiped clean is this considered by the Navy or do they review your comulative GPA from 1st and second colleges? Just looking for some way to gray out my disgracefull GPA

Thanks again,
Jason

Paul Burke

You can apply as far out as 3 years. However, you have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will graduate on time. As far as your GPA goes, something that low and a sophomore really positions you for a tough time ahead. The first 2 years are the easy ones so if you don't get your grades up now then you're in for an even harder time later on. The minimum GPA is a 2.0. If your GPA ends up being in the low 2's then you better be able to show some kind of cause-effect relationship to help explain why it's that low, and drinking and partying too much just doesn't cut it. Holding various leadership positions on your campus and in the community help a lot. Not only does it make you look good on paper but they also teach you a thing or two that you wouldn't ordinarily gain.

The officer recommendations come from your recruiter. They used to require formal interviews but dropped that requirement sometime last year. You may want to consider requesting an interview with your recruiting district's CO. He will give a go/no go recommendation however, if you are serious about it then you shouldn't leave anything out that could help you.

Astrelka

Your GPA is cumulative. It comes from all the colleges you've been too. The recruiter stressed this to me because I transferred to UVA from the air force academy prep. Ok you guys can make fun of me now. At least I made the right choice in the end!
-A

Status
Not open for further replies.