• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A problem

ocs_hopeful

I went to OCS this past summer and was npq'd for stress fractures. I have been selected again to go to OCC this fall. My problem is that my stress fractures have come back since I have started re-training. I have always wanted to be a Marine Officer, but I can not keep my legs healthly. This has happened four times, and this time they have come back after only 2 months of pt after around 8 months of rest. I have a slot that I know alot of other guys want/deserve and i feel like shit because I know there is a good chance I will be npq'd again. I have done all the stretching, shoes, cross training, and physical therapy that I have heard about, but it doesn't seem to work in the long run. I haven't yet told my OSO about this, but I plan on it shortly. This is also complicated by the fact that I have just been made a really good job offer that I would have to take in a month instead of waiting. Does anyone have any experience with something like this/adivce.

livefast

I had the same problem, so I'll put in my 2 cents. First off, I'll be willing to bet that you're running in the wrong running shoes. There's a plethora of information out there on what kind of shoes are right for your feet, so I won't say anything else. Second, I'll also be willing to bet that your training is sporadic, and you increase the lenght of your runs by more than 10%.

You should immediately begin an icing regimen. Freeze water in a styrofoam cup, and peel the styrofoam around the ice. Massage the inside of your leg starting from the ankle, up to midway up the calf on both legs. Spend about 15 minutes per leg, twice a day.

During the day, wrap an ACE bandage around both legs to keep a compression. Take off before you hit the rack

Elevate your legs above your heart for at least half an hour day (while watching TV, reading, etc.)

Incorporate running backwards in your training routine. Running backwards has specifically been shown to improve shin splints. On a track, run half a lap regularly, then run half a lap backwards. Repeat several times.

Here's the good news: unless it hurts for you to jump from a foot off the ground, you should be able to continue your training if you correct these issues, and give yourself 2 weeks off from running (you can still do stairmasters machines and cycling machines at the gym to maintain your cardio).

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...You should immediately begin an icing regimen. Freeze water in a styrofoam cup, and peel the styrofoam around the ice. Massage the inside of your leg starting from the ankle, up to midway up the calf on both legs. Spend about 15 minutes per leg, twice a day.

During the day, wrap an ACE bandage around both legs to keep a compression. Take off before you hit the rack...

I had to get iced and taped up pretty much every day the last 2 weeks at OCS. The tape really worked well, so I would assume the ACE bandage would do the same trick.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Don't forget to pop the Motrin... Anti-Inflamatory is where its at. Seriously, thats what got my
6'4 220 lb ass througth OCS.