• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Point-to-Point through the FARs

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I did a bunch more Googling today and still can't manage to get a reference, but it appears sometime around 2012-13 the FAA removed the non-RNAV "Fix-to-Fix" procedure from ATC's rule book, with certain exceptions (military being one). I also found a few threads on other forums (with former Airwarrirors regular Hacker) talking about how the AF has removed the procedure, as well, to get inline with the FAA.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
One note........I've never been to Mayport, but their mix of one million helo spots as well as arresting gear made me giggle.

Also, RNAV =/= GPS in all cases. I remember doing VOR/DME based RNAV in the Piper Arrow, back when IFR GPS was like a billion dollar proposition. It was an actual RNAV box, not just doing random point to points manually.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, RNAV =/= GPS in all cases. I remember doing VOR/DME based RNAV in the Piper Arrow, back when IFR GPS was like a billion dollar proposition. It was an actual RNAV box, not just doing random point to points manually.

RNAV has never = GPS. RNAV stands for Area Navigation (rho theta, Loran, INS, GNSS, etc).

But...what you describe is what Randy was talking about earlier (specifically rho theta). The last VOR/DME RNAV went away sometime around 2012, which is when (apparently) the FAA (and the Air Force) divested themselves of non-RNAV "fix to fix" navigation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was maybe mid 2000, before our MD 80s got ANY area nav, we were running only VOR/DME. Would blow the minds of the GA pilots looking into the cockpit. The guys that knew how flew finger derived point to points occasionally. Key was radar environment. Don't know about the requirement to know cross track error. Not on track get back on. What, I'll try harder if further off track? How knowing how far off is necessary when in radar contact I don't know.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Key was radar environment.
How knowing how far off is necessary when in radar contact I don't know.

It wasn't really. In doing the research, I found the requirement (mid-2000's) for ATC to give you a PTP was specifically being in a radar environment. Looking at the current instruction I mentioned earlier, it's still a requirement to allow DoD to do it.

ATIS

I The guys that knew how flew finger derived point to points occasionally.

Like they taught us back in VT-10 on day one with our penciles? Eventually you just said screw it and used your fingers to get you started in the right direction for a point to point then sweetened it up? Heck testing the new Nav and glass cockpit in the S-3 I still did that (never trusted the magenta). Out of Pax one day to San Dog, “hey Washington Center...RNAV direct Tinker” (to get our burgers then continue on). Got lazy and after a few hours I look over at my pilot as we blindly fly the needle...”do you have any fucking idea where we are?” I had lost the bubble on where my nearest divert was and my in-flight SA low light was full RED. After that I went back old school with my charts and fingers. That was my learning moment, I got lazy and it sucked me in. I still found I would scan the steam gauges vice the electronic displays for sure at the Boat. Just something about reading the trend of a VSI needle more than a readout. Same with airspeed. Dinasaur I am/was.

ATIS

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm A) Too lazy to look it up B) Finishing off a growler of beer C) Watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail D) All of the above. The gist of it is you can't "track" using TACAN point to point, ie don't have capability to determine cross track error, unless you have a TACAN RNAV system.

The Army "can't" shoot this approach without first flying over the TACAN. If you ask for it, approach switches you to Mayport Radar, who tells you to report PAWNE. Years ago one of our pilots tried to fly it. They were smart enough to ask for vectors to PAWNE, but were unable to determine what direction to turn when they didn't arrive exactly at the fix (inside PWNE). They flew the holding pattern for the missed as if it were a PT. When radar asked them WTF, they said they were unable to fly direct to PAWNE. Radar's response was, "Well why did you ask for the approach?"
View attachment 21292
Camelot! It's only a model.
I'm not very smart, or aren't following. They have a TACAN but can't fly to the NRB 183/5?
What don't I get?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm not very smart, or aren't following. They have a TACAN but can't fly to the NRB 183/5?
What don't I get?
I think it's mostly don't want to because they don't think it is legal.

This is not without controversy...

tenor.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What don't I get?

You're following. The argument is that when flying a radial, you can measure how far off that radial (or GPS course line) that you are (ie, XTK) by the deflection of a CDI (or GPS CDI/XTK distance). But when you moving from one point in space to another point in space with just a VOR/DME or TACAN, you're not able to measure any deviation from the initial required course because there is no way to depict the course line. Essentially, as the argument goes, you're homing, not navigating.

Like many things that are different between the services, I think it's a matter of comfort level. Apparently the FAA is no longer as comfortable with it either.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I guess I don't know what I don't know.....but if you told me to fly to that fix I could probably hit it within a couple of miles without even trying very hard. What is the actual tolerance when cleared to a fix?

Granted, I'm using an HSI so it's a little easier...but illegal?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess I don't know what I don't know.....but if you told me to fly to that fix I could probably hit it within a couple of miles without even trying very hard. What is the actual tolerance when cleared to a fix?

It's probably in the PTS, which I'm too lazy to go look it up on Foreflight. I want to say MPTS CTS was .5 nm, but it's been a while.

Again, it's not that you're not capable of doing it. It's that you can't measure how accurate you are at doing it, if that makes sense. Again, so goes the argument.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Haha, well I guess it all depends on how accurate you have to be. Never really thought about it....and the FAA is saying what?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's mostly don't want to because they don't think it is legal.

This is not without controversy...
Hitler? Heck, substitute “Navy” for “Air Force” and the first 2/3 of that rant could be “Meridian Sim Instructor Debriefs Averaged-Out Early-Stage RI.” ?

Pags

N/A
pilot
PTP was one of those things that was a huge sweat in flight school but I never used in the fleet. That and failed card. Dual EGI or computer failure in a 60 left you with the b/u attitude indicator so all you could do was ask for start/stop turn from ATC or see if you could figure out how to use a wet compass when you were somewhere other than Pensacola and the MAGVAR was different from the Pcola specific rules you learned in flight school.