• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A new M-1 thread

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have/had 6 CMP Garands, one '03, a G43, and a K98 that were all in varying degrees of cosmoline soak. The dishwasher on 'pots & pans' for every single component has been my go to. It gets rid of all cosmoline on the metal and wood as well as raises the grain for a nice finish sanding and stain/sealant. Do it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've got a question about CMP rifle ordering. I looked up the eligibility requirements, and I understand you have to be a member of an affiliated shooting club to order, but then I read this:

"These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc."

Does military service mean I don't need to be a shooting club or hunting club member, or am I misunderstanding what they're saying here?

Anyways, I'm on det, which means I'm not spending money, which means it's time to buy another gun. An M1 and a 1911 seem like they are about to enter my family. Weapons that saved the free world and all that. I'm sure it will be a happy time for all involved.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've got a question about CMP rifle ordering. I looked up the eligibility requirements, and I understand you have to be a member of an affiliated shooting club to order, but then I read this:

"These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc."

Does military service mean I don't need to be a shooting club or hunting club member, or am I misunderstanding what they're saying here?

Anyways, I'm on det, which means I'm not spending money, which means it's time to buy another gun. An M1 and a 1911 seem like they are about to enter my family. Weapons that saved the free world and all that. I'm sure it will be a happy time for all involved.

All you have to show is a copy of your Mil ID and you're good. If you mail stuff in, just mail in the ID copy and don't worry about the other membership paperwork or even something that says you've qualified. Walking into the store is even better, but I know that's not in your cards for now.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Color matching? HA! Yeah, I think the Greeks eliminated any need for color matching some time ago.

Prior to the Greek returns circa 2004, there were still plenty of DCM/CMP rifles that had mismatched stocks and handguards. In the late 50s and 60s, the arsenals switched to birch rather than walnut, and rifles that needed replacements got birch.

What the Euro countries -- the Danes and Greeks, in particular -- added to the mix was Beech (which, IMHO, is the ugliest and heaviest of the woods that Garand furniture is made of...). I have owned a couple Greek return CMP rifles that came with beech, and that was jettisoned quickly for walnut.

Personally, my favorite Garand stock type is 1960s arsenal replacement birch (made by Overton). They're slightly oversized, and the "arsenal red" color makes them turn slightly orange (that same orange that current CMP customers seem to abhor that is replicated on the CMP replacement wood lately...). The birch can take on some breathtaking flame patterns with the assistance of RLO/BLO.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I may take you up on a hand guard, though, if you have one. I haven't removed it from the metal portion and I don't know if it would survive with the crack it has if I did. I'll have to look a little closer.

I found this. Not exactly a beauty but it's rock solid and has the spacer and ferrule. It has the 3 dings you can see plus 1 on the other side. 2 of the 4 probably will steam out. The other 2 will improve a great deal after a little work with a hot iron and wet rag. It should re-finish nicely.

If you want it PM me your shipping address and I'll sent it to you. Consider it my contribution the the GWOT....

GarandHandguard2.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
(that same orange that current CMP customers seem to abhor that is replicated on the CMP replacement wood lately...).
Meh. My service grade Garand came with new birch furniture that the CMP absolutely butchered. They just threw stain on there without sealing it first. Blotch city. First thing I did was replace that stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I found this. Not exactly a beauty but it's rock solid and has the spacer and ferrule. It has the 3 dings you can see plus 1 on the other side. 2 of the 4 probably will steam out. The other 2 will improve a great deal after a little work with a hot iron and wet rag. It should re-finish nicely.

If you want it PM me your shipping address and I'll sent it to you. Consider it my contribution the the GWOT....

You, sir, are a gentleman. I'll shoot you a PM later today.