• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A little confused

Bene

Hey Everyone,
This is my first post and I just wanted to say that I thought this was an awesome site. I guess I'll start by saying that I am enlisted at the moment. My EOAS is in June and I'm looking at leaving the Navy, finishing off my degree then applying for a commissioning. I've been told that this was a harder way of becoming an officer, but I feel it is the only way because my COC doesn't seem to take me seriously. I was wondering if any one has gotten out then come back in. Is it as hard as people say? Also is it better to go reserves to keep my foot in the door? I'm sure this has already been discussed and I probably typed in the wrong sets of words in the search function. I apologize for being repetitious, but if any one can give me a little advice or point me in the proper direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Bene

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bene,

One of your main concerns will be at what age you will be graduating from college, and if that will affect any of the commissioning programs you may be interested in applying for. There are some waivers for prior enlisted time.

I would definitely focus on doing well in college, enjoying your time there, and choosing which path you want to go through to get your commission (NROTC, BDCP, OCS). Each have their own strong points, but you need to sit down and weigh them all, and see which is best for you. Doing well scholastically in college, and on the ASTB when the time comes, and putting in a competitive package for OCS with the recruiter will be the next set of goals you will be working towards.

I don't think there is anything hard about it, you have already completed what sounds like a first tour in the Navy, picked up experience and maturity, and are continuing along with your goals. Good luck to you!

John

Bene

Thank you for your quick reply sir. I am hoping to be able to pursue a flight contract either as an SNA or an SNFO. I have a little over two years of college that I have obtain, some before I enlisted and some while I've been in. I really believe that if I push myself I can finish my degree in a year. That would put me at 28 y/o. I think that might be too old for a pilot slot. I thought I read in another thread that the cut off was 27, but I still might have a chance as an SNFO.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bene, honestly, I am not up to speed on the current age restrictions, either Wink or RockyMNTNFO could answer them better, but I recall vaguely that you are good if prior enlisted up to 31 years of age, though don't quote me on that. Sounds though that you have already gotten some research done, and are on the right track. Motivation, and being a self starter will take you a long way, and make you stand out from other applicants. Keep shooting questions though. Hopefully wink or rocky will chime in.

John

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Waiver up to 48 months for prior AD service.
Just remember, that's not a 48 month waiver just because you're prior service. It's day for day. For example, if you only did 2 years of enlisted time, then you can only get 2 years waived from the required commissioning age. If you did 6 years enlisted time, then only 4 years of that can be waived.

Bene

Hey, thanks for that link balt. I didn't realize that there were that many officer options.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If you click on more info it sends you to another page updated March 2007. It still shows 27 as the limit with a waiver up to 31. But that is a one for one exchange as the others mentioned.