• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A little background...

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Hello all,

First of all, let me thank those of you who take the time to come on here and share your wealth of knowledge with us wannabe's (and sometimes put some of us back in our proper place). I appreciate having a site like this to come to.

A little about me and my situation: I am a 25 year old college graduate with a degree in logistics. For the past several months I have been working for an engineering/construction firm here in Houston as a material controller. I have been pursuing a commission in the Marines for about 6 years now, only to have met opposition and rejection time and time again. This hasn't deterred me yet, and I don't think it will until I pass the final age limit to apply (and even then I won't go quietly ;)).

I was a Marine option Middie for two years in college but was unable to secure a scholarship so I was told I couldn't stay. Since then, I have been applying for PLC and now OCC at various times only to keep having my waivers denied over and over. The main waiver I have been told is holding me back is a small, quarter sized tattoo on the inside of my left wrist. It's nothing vulgar or profane, and is covered by my watch band, however was told it was a no go (This past time it actually cleared district with the Recruiting CO's endorsement but was shot down at the regional level). I have been having laser removal treatments for the past year and I am a few months away from having it gone completely.

While in NROTC, I passed a flight physical and scored a 7/8/8 (56 OAR) on the ASTB, as well as a 97 on the ASVAB. My college GPA wasn't hot, due mainly to my first year of school, which is why I pretty much ruled out any chance at the Navy. My PFT is around a 275 on average, 280 on a good day, and I'm pretty active in sports.

The only problem is I'm running out of time. The plan right now is to finish my tattoo removal and then apply for OCC 197,198, and 199. By then I'll be close to the age cutoff at 27, in which case I'll enlist to buy me some more time. It'll be somewhat of a paycut, but well worth it for another shot at making it.

I could go on for awhile but I've already rambled too much. I've got several friends in the pipeline right now who might be lurking around here and know who I am, to everyone else thanks again for your future help and support. It's been a frustrating ride so far, but hopefully one day it will all be worth it!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your post should make any USMC applicant think twice about being branded...errr, I mean getting a tatoo.

Good luck with it.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
...My college GPA wasn't hot, due mainly to my first year of school, which is why...

What was your GPA?

Why would you rule out the Navy?..seems like you should
be taking any opportunity that is available to you considering
the circumstances that you're under, and if you're so die hard
on joining up; you might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck with everything bro; keep at it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Instead of taking the time for laser removal, why not have it tattooed over with skin color? I've heard that works too.

Trev82

pilot
Don't be discouraged by the GPA i'm almost positive my was lower than a 2.5, but still got selected SNA for 196. I ran a 280PFT, with a 7/7/7 ASTB and solid package, i also had a DUI when i was 17. So don't give up, continue to apply and just prove to them your ultimate dream is that of a Marine.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
The tattoo issue sounds a little extreme. While you're taking care of that, don't get a horseshoe haircut or any gold teeth. Good on you for your continuous efforts, and keep us informed of your status.

FastMover

NFO
None
You should definitely still apply to the Navy. I've spoken with a few SNAs who didn't have 3.0+ GPAs and still got selected. Remember, they look at the whole person. You may have strengths in other areas that make up for it.

Good luck!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You may have strengths in other areas that make up for it.

Like a 7/8/8/56 and a 97 ASVAB. Scores like that pretty much outshine any kind of loser GPA you might have. And you can talk up your degree like it's some kind of big shot hard degree because it's not all that common.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I've always just thought 3.0 was about the minimum for the Navy as competitive as it gets, my gpa was a 2.5 but shows a steady improvement over time (I think I liked college a little too much). I actually ran into the local OR at a job fair about 6 months back and got his card. I'm going to give him a call and apply that route as well along with the Marines.

I gave the idea of getting a skin color tattoo a thought, although I wasn't sure about whether or not that could be an integrity violation if found out (i.e. tanning at OCS being out in the sun making it stand out, since you can only wear a watch when holding a billet). I was told the new policy meant NO tattoos without a waiver, regardless of whether or not you could see it.

I don't mean to change the subject but is this true? What is the purpose of preventing candidates from wearing a watch?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I don't mean to change the subject but is this true? What is the purpose of preventing candidates from wearing a watch?

This was the case in a couple of the training commands I went through. The purpose is to make you dependent on your leaders for the plan, the time, and pretty much the whole days schedule. It works amazingly well in most cases.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

It's true. Just put that junk in your pocket. It's just a discipline thing so don't try to go against the tide. You don't really need a watch unless you're a billet holder.

Plus, that's one less wicked tan line you have to worry about.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
Thanks for the positive feedback, I'll continue to post progress here in this thread.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
Well, things have come full circle as I found out just now I was pro-rec'd for SNFO! I didn't think it was possible but it happened, thanks to all you who supported and encouraged me to give the navy a shot, and for all your advice.

Although SNA was my first choice, I put NFO as well because I wanted to serve my country and flying was the way I wanted to do it. I'm going to bust my butt in flight school and if it was meant to be I'll get a shot at the front seat, if not, I'm going to rock out with my c#ck out in the backseat! I just can't wait to start flying!:D