• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few simple questions

USCG_HOPE

Hello all, My name is Joshua. I am new to this forum but have done alot of reading before becoming a member. I have a few questions that I am looking for some of your guy's insight. I hope to get a few perspectives on these things, which would help alot.

My dream since I was 12 years old was to join a SAR program. I want to save lifes. I have always felt its what I was meant to do in life. I know its not an easy task and its relatively exclusive group of elite individuals. Ultimately I would like to be in aviation, to pilot those helicopters, and brave the brutal elements to save those who are in extreme danger. I am 21 years old, physically in good shape, i run a 11 minute mile and a half, so on and so fourth. I am currently a service writter for a large dealership and about 6 months away from graduating with a two year associates degree in sales and marketing. Also just recently engaged to a wonderful woman whom i have been with for almost 5 years, and I have had alot of voulenteer hours as well. But this is my dream and I want to follow it.

Now to my questions:

1.) Will me having an associates degree benefit me rank wise when joining the coast guard or navy? I keep only hearing things about bachelors degrees...and thats kind of saddening to me...as i feel like my degree is just a waste

2.) If I am currently still enrolled in college will they accept me in but have me finish college, have me finish college then join, or would I be able to enroll right into OCS? What are the requirements to enlist as an officer as I cant seem to find a very clear cut route to becoming one with the info provided online

3.) With wanting to join an SAR program would being CPR/AED Professional Rescuer & First Aid training certification benefit me or advance me further with rank due to knowledge and skill level or would I be wasting my money to be certified for something Ill already be trained to do...Or would this certification help my chances to even get into an SAR program?

4.) This is kind of the same as question 3, but How about if I get my private and commercial helicopter liscense before joining, would that allow me to get in to aviation school much easier or isnt it worth shelling out the $15,000 to do it in order to secure the certification. Like would it even matter to the navy/coast guard? In my mind i was thinking it would because i would have prior flight expirience and actually know somewhat what i was doing?

5.) I have a cumulative gpa of 2.87 I work full time and college was secondary to supporting my fiance and I through college, but I am a very intelligent person, and a great leader and have excelled to management positions almost everywhere I have worked. My question here is what area's in the asvab are directly related to aeronotics and SAR, and what did you guys do in order to enter into these programs? and how much will my gpa affect my entrance into these programs or will the asvab supercede that?

6.) I am having trouble finding a coast guard recruitor, and when I got contacted by one he sounded like coasties arent in demand...was I getting the wrong impression? I already have my application filled out to a T and ready to enlist....anyone know any recruitors who could help me around the minnesota area? Seems like alot of the numbers I call are old and disconnected

I really appreciate all of your guys time and would appreciate all and any insight you all are willing to give!!!!

Grateful Coastie/naval Helo hopeful
-Joshua

ps. The coast guard will be my fulltime career

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to AW! You have a great goal and seems like you are the right track to getting there, but I think you have a few misconceptions.

First, you can't be a helicopter pilot and a SAR swimmer (the guys who jump into the water) at the same time. It's not like you take turns flying and swimming.

1.) Will me having an associates degree benefit me rank wise when joining the coast guard or navy? I keep only hearing things about bachelors degrees...and thats kind of saddening to me...as i feel like my degree is just a waste
It might help with enlisted rank, I'm not sure, but if you want to be a pilot in the USGC or USN then you have to be an officer. With rare exception you will need a 4 year degree to be an officer.

You can be a SAR swimmer if you are enlisted.

2.) If I am currently still enrolled in college will they accept me in but have me finish college, have me finish college then join, or would I be able to enroll right into OCS? What are the requirements to enlist as an officer as I cant seem to find a very clear cut route to becoming one with the info provided online
If you want to be a pilot, the conventional wisdom here on AW is, join up as an officer. Getting a commission while enlisted is much more difficult. As for your other questions here, it will depend heavily on which service and which commissioning program you apply/get accepted into. For the Navy, you might look into BDCP.

3.) With wanting to join an SAR program would being CPR/AED Professional Rescuer & First Aid training certification benefit me or advance me further with rank due to knowledge and skill level or would I be wasting my money to be certified for something Ill already be trained to do...Or would this certification help my chances to even get into an SAR program?
Things like this certainly can't hurt much, but generally don't help very much. The services care more about your aptitude and potential, which can be demonstrated to some degree through these qualifications. However, they are going to give you all of the training and make sure you do stuff their way.

4.) This is kind of the same as question 3, but How about if I get my private and commercial helicopter liscense before joining, would that allow me to get in to aviation school much easier or isnt it worth shelling out the $15,000 to do it in order to secure the certification. Like would it even matter to the navy/coast guard? In my mind i was thinking it would because i would have prior flight expirience and actually know somewhat what i was doing?
Getting a private & commercial certificate with rotary wing ratings is going to cost significantly more than $15,000. I don't know how much, but way more than your estimate. I think you would be lucky to get your private for that much.

However, referring back to the last question and answer, it won't help that much. In fact, for the cost of rotary wing ratings, you would probably get a negative return on your investment. Fixed wing ratings are much more realistic from a financial perspective. But again, the USCG and USN are still going to give you all of the training you need.

If you have extra money, buy a house, invest it, or finish up college with it.

5.) I have a cumulative gpa of 2.87 I work full time and college was secondary to supporting my fiance and I through college, but I am a very intelligent person, and a great leader and have excelled to management positions almost everywhere I have worked. My question here is what area's in the asvab are directly related to aeronotics and SAR, and what did you guys do in order to enter into these programs? and how much will my gpa affect my entrance into these programs or will the asvab supercede that?
I can't speak much for the enlisted side of the house, but I think the ASVAB just helps you to qualify for MOS/Rates/AFSC etc i.e. enlisted jobs. If you want to fly in the USCG and USN you need to take the ASTB.

6.) I am having trouble finding a coast guard recruitor, and when I got contacted by one he sounded like coasties arent in demand...was I getting the wrong impression? I already have my application filled out to a T and ready to enlist....anyone know any recruitors who could help me around the minnesota area? Seems like alot of the numbers I call are old and disconnected
Again, if you are looking to be a pilot, don't enlist. Finish college, go to OCS.... even better if you can do it with the Coast Guard's or Navy's money. Look into BDCP for the Navy, I am not sure if the USCG has a similar program.

Brunes

pilot
HH-60 hit the majority of it. A bachelors is the way to go. Some of our enlisted folks who go thru OCS do so after getting an associates...but for the most part civilians come to the program with a bachelors.
You ratings will only cost you money that you can use for other things. If you are a go-getter, you'll get in and get what you want and the service will train you to fly (I had 0 time logged before I applied...I'm up to 400 odd hours now.)
CPR/First Aid won't help a pilot that much...Our rescue swimmers are all EMTs and they work in the back. Pilots stay up front and fly.

As far as recruiters- Officer recruiters are few and far between. You might try googling/calling the Coast Guard Academy. There are a ton of officers there with some insight into accessions.

Good luck!!

USCG_HOPE

I was told by a recruitor that the off the streets chances and about 20/700 applicants, versus a currently enlisted soldier

is that true?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Possibly, but it belies the fact that it is still harder to get a commission from "the inside." Out of those 700 applicants maybe only 200 are really competitive so the real chances are 20/200. On "the inside" ALL of the applicants are competitive, overwhelmingly so.

A pilot license doesn't matter before hand all too much. I've been accepted, and I only know the physics behind it. 0 hours logged ATM, and it'll stay that way till IFS.

Get a Bachelor's degree, though. In you off hours, do volunteer work. Do anything that might look good on an application. Raise your GPA. Study for the ASTB. You're going for a pilot spot, so that means the entire test is important for you. Aim for above a 50 and at least 7s on all three of your line scores. The ASVAB is a good practice test, as the ASTB is only slightly more difficult. Plus, if you decide to try for a diver position later, then that's one test out of the way.

Good luck.