• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few questions

historylover

HI! I am new to this forum—I found it through a web search while I was looking for answers to some of my questions. My husband has recently been notified that his packet was selected for OCS and he is supposed to be reporting January 17th. He tried for a flight contract (he already has his commercial pilots license and he has his bachelors degree in Aviation Management), and his OSO said that he got the flight contract. It says OCC-A on the contract. However, I am a little skeptical. I know that might be bad, but I don’t know much about the military other than my cousin was in the Marines (enlisted) and all he ever says is that the recruiters lie to get you to join, etc. etc. When my husband told him that he had gotten the flight contract my cousin said that there is a huge possibility that it’s not true, and that they lie all the time, etc. etc. How does he know if he really did get the flight contract? Is there a possibility that he didn’t get the contract? He has said he does not care if he got it or not, because he wants to join the Marines anyway, although his first choice would be aviation b/c that’s what his background is in—and of course, who doesn’t want to fly with the military? Ha

I’m a little afraid to ask his OSO questions, because I don’t want to be annoying, and I don’t want to embarrass him- so I figured the best thing to do would be ask people who don’t know me. HAHA

Thank you very much!

Orion4life

Well I don't know much about OCS, but from what I've heard, the military isn't in the business of lying to officers or potential officers.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Officer recruiters usually don't lie. Applying for a commission is a lot different than enlisting.

If you or your husband is really worried if it's actually a flight contract, just have him read everything before signing. His designator number (or whatever they call it in the USMC) should be somewhere on there.

historylover

Oh wow, thank you both for your replies already!

Well, he is not worried about it....... and I guess I should not be either, but I was just wondering after my cousin said that. My husband is just so happy that he was accepted into the Marines period.

From what I understand, he has already signed. When he did his final PFT, the OSO gave him all the paperwork and it had the OCC-A on the contract and he signed everything. Then the OSO submitted the paperwork, then he found out a few days ago they accepted the contract. When he asked if he needed to do anything else, the OSO said no and everything was straight.

I'm sure I'll get better about this, but the thought is still very new. :)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Your husband has an aviation contract and he was not lied to - have no fear. I would be willing to bet your cousin doesn't know what he is talking about. You might want to take everything he says about the Marine Corps, especially the officer and aviation side of the house, with a grain of salt.

Congrats to you and your husband, you guys have an exciting and interesting road ahead of you ... it will be nothing like any of your friends who are not military could imagine. Stick together and support each other through the ups and downs. Good luck.

Orion4life

I enlisted before I decided to go the ROTC way. My recruiter didn't lie to me, but I always double checked everything he was telling me. There were a couple of times in which I was given information that seemed too good to be true about bonuses and such, that once double checked, was too good to be true.

Clux4

Banned
Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that enlisted recruiters do lie? I really don't know much about that side of the recruiting spectrum.

I would not call it a lie necessarily, they sometimes just have other plans for you the moment you walk in.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Enlisted recruiters are under an enormous amount of pressure to make mission. Sometimes some shady stuff happens. Occasionally a genuine lie gets told. If they get caught, they are deep trouble.

Officer recruiters have about 10 times as many applicants as they do spots. Making mission is rarely an issue, but the penalties for lying are the same, if not worse. There is little incentive to lie.

Don't stress about it.

Good luck.

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
if the contract says OCC-A, then he DEFINITELY has an air contract. I actually had an OCC-G contract (I went to OCS Jan 18 2008) because of a paperwork issue but my OSO guaranteed that he would get it changed to OCC-A by the time I graduated and he did. Right now I am two months done with TBS, and I have already completed IFS too. Tell your husband that OCS during the winter is cold and miserable, but ultimately not that bad. Let me know if there are any other questions

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
if the contract says OCC-A, then he DEFINITELY has an air contract. I actually had an OCC-G contract (I went to OCS Jan 18 2008) because of a paperwork issue but my OSO guaranteed that he would get it changed to OCC-A by the time I graduated and he did. Right now I am two months done with TBS, and I have already completed IFS too. Tell your husband that OCS during the winter is cold and miserable, but ultimately not that bad. Let me know if there are any other questions

Compared to what? A knife in the eye - yeah, it's not that bad :D

historylover

I would be willing to bet your cousin doesn't know what he is talking about. You might want to take everything he says about the Marine Corps, especially the officer and aviation side of the house, with a grain of salt.

lol... you're probably right-- and good idea. Thanks!

Thank you for all of your replies! This forum in general has answered a lot of our questions! :)