• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few questions

hornetcv12

Hello, It's been my dream since I was 3 and went to my first Fleet week, to pursue a career in Naval Aviation. I got off the track when I started High School and kind of forgot about it.

But I'm 19 now, in my first year in Junior college and I'm wondering if it's at all possible. Which isn't from self doubt so much as me not knowing much about what I need to do to get there. I understand it involves getting a comission, but with being enrolled in a Junior college, does that change anything?

Also I am curious about some of the medical requirements. I had surgery when I was an infant to attach my esophagus to my stomach, so I'm very curious about weither or not that would hurt my chances. It sounds like it would. Would it disquailify me from Naval service altogether?

Ideally I'd like to be a pilot. Jets, Helicopters, Props it's all an area of interest for me. Except, I have pretty terrible eyesight, I forgot what it is exactly, but I doubt it will pass for being a pilot. Are there seperate eyesight requirements for an NFO?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

AJB37

I went to a JC and thus far it hasn't hurt my chances according to my recruiter, just do well at your jc transfer to a good college and do well there. Also you could look into NROTC or the BDCP.

Somebody with more experience will have to give advice on the eyesight issue. But don't worry about going to a jc as long as you do well. Basically just always do the best you can.

Creatre

BDCP Hopeful
I'm not 100% sure about the stomach surgey and how that would affect you flying. There is a medical website I'm sure someone will refer you too, and if not I'll get it for you here in a little bit by searching around a little bit. That website or pdf or whatever it is should tell you whether or not it will DQ you or not. If you can't find out that way, ask a recruiter, as they should know. NFO's eyesight has to be correctable to 20/20 and can't be worse than 20/400 I believe. If it's worse than 20/200 than you have to glasses with you just in case or something. There are other options for NFO/SNA though for eyesight, such as PRK, or contact lens waivers, etc.

hornetcv12

Thanks for the info about eyesight. With my glasses I have 20/20, I remember that from the eye exams at school. I guess I should talk to a recruiter about waivers for the eyesight.

I do have to get my eyes checked some time (need new glasses and it's a good time to do it)

Also I just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hello, It's been my dream since I was 3 and went to my first Fleet week, to pursue a career in Naval Aviation. I got off the track when I started High School and kind of forgot about it.

But I'm 19 now, in my first year in Junior college and I'm wondering if it's at all possible. Which isn't from self doubt so much as me not knowing much about what I need to do to get there. I understand it involves getting a comission, but with being enrolled in a Junior college, does that change anything?

Also I am curious about some of the medical requirements. I had surgery when I was an infant to attach my esophagus to my stomach, so I'm very curious about weither or not that would hurt my chances. It sounds like it would. Would it disquailify me from Naval service altogether?

Ideally I'd like to be a pilot. Jets, Helicopters, Props it's all an area of interest for me. Except, I have pretty terrible eyesight, I forgot what it is exactly, but I doubt it will pass for being a pilot. Are there seperate eyesight requirements for an NFO?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Welcome to AW. Being 19 you are still in a good position to get into Naval Aviation. For the more direct methods into Pilot and NFO you will need to finish up your degree at a 4 year college.

Many of your questions have been answered by others with more experience in other routes to a commission and wings. I would suggest doing some searches. After that, if you have some specific questions feel free to ask.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Thanks for the info about eyesight. With my glasses I have 20/20, I remember that from the eye exams at school. I guess I should talk to a recruiter about waivers for the eyesight.

I do have to get my eyes checked some time (need new glasses and it's a good time to do it)

Also I just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that

It’s possible; I graduated from a Comm College, transferred to a 4 yr and was commissioned this year. I also went in a guaranteed flight contract (Marines). OSO's (Officer Selection Officers) also can work with students from JC's and CC's.

Are you from Dale City, VA? If so I am working at the OSO that area covers. PM me or go to this website for more info www.marineofficerprogram.com

hornetcv12

I'm from Daly City California, sort of a suburb of San Francisco. But everyone, thank you. Getting this information is helping alot

Goob83

None
I'm from Daly City California, sort of a suburb of San Francisco. But everyone, thank you. Getting this information is helping alot

Well now, PM me I will give you my email and we can talk. You need guidance as to how to do things from a JC to UC system. it can be done and if you do well at your JC you can apply for BDCP with just an acceptance letter and a degree plan from a UC College. your JC must be an automatic transfer school. I can tell you which ones qualify here in the Bay area. I will also figure out your medical things too.

PM me for more info and the HOW TOO! or go to the NRS in daly city and tell them to call the Officer Recruiter responsible for that area. they will call me immediately and we can talk.