• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few questions about side load/advanced standing.

Tex15

I'm a sophomore MIDN 3/C currently applying for a (two year) side load scholarship. There is a shockingly low amount of information out there on these, so I was hoping some of you here might have some wisdom to offer.

(Disclaimer: I have extensively researched this, both on airwarriors and other sites, and have not found any relevant, up-to-date information that satisfactorily answers my questions.)

1. Exactly how competitive are two-year scholarships, particularly for LREC/tier 3 applicants? NSTC says 202 are to be awarded with 85% going to tech majors, but what size and caliber of an applicant pool am I looking at?
  2. How much will not having taken calculus and physics hurt an applicant's chances? (There was a thread on this several years ago, but there was never really a definitive answer.) The papers they give my unit's four-year scholarship kids say those courses must be finished by sophomore year, but no where in the (limited) side load information have I found something that says it's mandatory, only 'recommended.' I would consider myself a fairly solid applicant otherwise, but will not having taken these classes kill me? (For what it's worth - and to avoid lecture - I recognize their importance in today's Navy and plan on taking them this summer. I didn't take them earlier because I didn't feel like I had developed good enough study habits yet and they would have screwed over my GPA.)
  3. How much of a factor do PT scores play in the application process for Navy? If important, what scores are considered competitive?
  4. When are applicants for this time of year usually notified of a decision for the side load scholarship? When are advanced standing applicants usually notified?
  5. How many advanced standing slots are available, and what's considered competitive?
  6. And, of course: will the recent sequester have an effect on side loads and/or advanced standing?

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
I'll answer what I can, but honestly I think the only people who can answer most of your questions are the folks at NSTC. To my little knowledge no NROTC staff will know about total applicant numbers etc.

1. Tier 3 will hurt you, plain and simple, I'm a Tier 3, but I've also seen a Kines major earn a 2 year last year so it's certainly possible.
2. Not a clue.
3. I don't think those are heavily weighted, if they send in your semester FITREP that will probably be the only place it shows up.
4. Our guys found out in April last year, but I think they had applied in the Fall, I'm advanced standing and heard in July between sophomore and junior year.
5. Not a clue on numbers, just keep your GPA up.
6. Not a clue.

My advice is to not worry about most of this man, almost everything you've asked is already out of your hands and will only serve to stress you out. Keep your GPA up, get good FITREPs, do well in your Battalion.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2. Doesn't hurt you but it doesn't help. If you get the 2 year scholarship, you'll need to complete the calc and physics requirements. Last I recall, the calc requirement for scholarship students was to be completed prior to the Junior year and the physics completed prior to the Senior year. If you have not completed your calc classes, then the good folks at NETC have no idea how you'll do. If you are competing against other students that have completed their calc requirement, then you are LESS competitive.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Additionally, please TALK with your advisor. He/she has insight on your honest chances.

Other things that weigh in on your scholarship application are your PT scores, your class standing (ranking), MIDN FITREPS, CO's ranking on CO's recommendation, major and GPA.

We have a hard time gauging your chances without all of the info.

Tex15

First off, thanks to everyone for the insight thus far. I really appreciate it. You're absolutely correct in saying that I should speak more with my advisor. I generally don't like to trouble him if it's at all avoidable, but I guess the internet can't always magically spit out the answers for me.

Things in my unit seem to work a little differently than 'normal' - 'normal,' as what I've gauged from this site - in that we don't have regular FITREPS, rankings, etc. My battalion has a veritable horde of midshipmen, the good majority of which are not pursuing a commission. That being said, I have no idea where I stand in regards to FITREPS/rankings/CO recommendations because I've never received them. I had no idea anything like that even went in to the application and I'll certainly have to ask my advisor about it.

My major is international studies with a minor in Russian. I have a 3.45 GPA (bad first semester, nearly straight A's since and straight A's in Russian) and an overall excellent low PRT (good high sit ups/outstanding high push ups/good low run).

niner61

AimingHigh
I am also a MIDN 3/C at ROTC Berkeley, CP'er, MechE at Cal Maritime. I got an email from my LT a few weeks ago saying I had been nominated for a "Leadership Scholarship". I looked it up and the closest thing that came up was the PNS Scholarship so I am assuming that is what it is....correct? My CO told me he got 2 2-year and 0 3-year scholarships to give out at his discretion (nominate). I am the ONLY 3/C in my unit as a CP so he had to send one back ( maybe that one will be yours, Tex15 =).

BASICS.

21 years old.
Born in Pakistan, came here at age 9. In the process of renouncing Pakistani Citizenship.
Speak Pashto & Urdu, though I have been told the Navy doesn't care too much?
PT-Ex High.
Tier 2 on last FITREP and number one pick for squad leader, though I have class during drill so didn't get it.
Done with with Calc/Physics.
AS in Math/Science. AA in Education.
1st Semester GPA- 1.7 ( I know I REALLLLLLLLY *&^%**& up).
2nd Semester GPA-3.1
3rd Semester(last Fall) GPA 3.5, CUM GPA now, 3.099.

Chances? My CO told me that if I don't get excellent grades this semester he will have me compete for national scholarship. Which worries me because I am really struggling this semester. Also confusing is that my app was sent last week and the latest grades that were on there were from last fall, meaning my grades for this semester do not affect my application. I don't know if he said that to scare the living crap out of me or if he meant it. I am not saying that I would slack off but having the thought that my whole life depends on how I do this semester helps keep the stress low...er. Thoughts? Thank You.

Hooyah!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am also a MIDN 3/C at ROTC Berkeley, CP'er, MechE at Cal Maritime. I got an email from my LT a few weeks ago saying I had been nominated for a "Leadership Scholarship". I looked it up and the closest thing that came up was the PNS Scholarship so I am assuming that is what it is....correct? My CO told me he got 2 2-year and 0 3-year scholarships to give out at his discretion (nominate). I am the ONLY 3/C in my unit as a CP so he had to send one back ( maybe that one will be yours, Tex15 =).

BASICS.

21 years old.
Born in Pakistan, came here at age 9. In the process of renouncing Pakistani Citizenship.
Speak Pashto & Urdu, though I have been told the Navy doesn't care too much?
PT-Ex High.
Tier 2 on last FITREP and number one pick for squad leader, though I have class during drill so didn't get it.
Done with with Calc/Physics.
AS in Math/Science. AA in Education.
1st Semester GPA- 1.7 ( I know I REALLLLLLLLY *&^%**& up).
2nd Semester GPA-3.1
3rd Semester(last Fall) GPA 3.5, CUM GPA now, 3.099.

Chances? My CO told me that if I don't get excellent grades this semester he will have me compete for national scholarship. Which worries me because I am really struggling this semester. Also confusing is that my app was sent last week and the latest grades that were on there were from last fall, meaning my grades for this semester do not affect my application. I don't know if he said that to scare the living crap out of me or if he meant it. I am not saying that I would slack off but having the thought that my whole life depends on how I do this semester helps keep the stress low...er. Thoughts? Thank You.

Hooyah!
Niner, congrats on being nominated for the PNS scholarship. Now on to your grades. TALK to your professors, ask for help, tell them you are struggling, and TALK with your advisor. It's harder for a professor to give you a bad grade, especially if you are on the cusp of a lower grade, if they know you and know that you been working your butt off and visiting them during office hours.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off, thanks to everyone for the insight thus far. I really appreciate it. You're absolutely correct in saying that I should speak more with my advisor. I generally don't like to trouble him if it's at all avoidable, but I guess the internet can't always magically spit out the answers for me.

Things in my unit seem to work a little differently than 'normal' - 'normal,' as what I've gauged from this site - in that we don't have regular FITREPS, rankings, etc. My battalion has a veritable horde of midshipmen, the good majority of which are not pursuing a commission. That being said, I have no idea where I stand in regards to FITREPS/rankings/CO recommendations because I've never received them. I had no idea anything like that even went in to the application and I'll certainly have to ask my advisor about it.

My major is international studies with a minor in Russian. I have a 3.45 GPA (bad first semester, nearly straight A's since and straight A's in Russian) and an overall excellent low PRT (good high sit ups/outstanding high push ups/good low run).
Since you think it works differently, then I still stand by my advice...TALK with your advisor. He will have the answers you seek. While you think you may be bothering him, he is there for you. His JOB is to advise students. If you aren't getting a straight answer from him, you may want to speak with the unit XO.

-ea6bflyr ;)

niner61

AimingHigh
I have started to do that and that surprisingly seemed very sympathetic. I have also made some changes to the way I do things academically so hopefully that will help.

I have read here and other sites about the PNS scholarship and how whoever is nominated USUALLY has a good (relative to the time and needs of the Navy of course) chance of getting picked up. Do you think the times have changed?

I told my LT that I don't give two sh*&s about the 2-year scholarship, in the sense that I don't care if I get my tuition paid for or not, I just want to commission. Is that a bad thing to say and should I have not said that? This whole thing is eating away at me, all I get think about is whether I'll get it or not. It kinda reallllly a lot sucks.

Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The PNS scholarship is approved by NETC, but that's just a paperwork drill. You have to pass the DODMERB physical in order to activate the scholarship. When I was at ROTC, the CO would wait for the scholarship result before selecting someone. That way more people got scholarships in the end.

No issues with telling your LT that. If your goal is to get a commission, you have to either be on a scholarship or be an Advance Standing student going into your Junior year. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
BASICS. [Discussed below]...Hooyah!
  • 21 years old. Sweet. Time is on your side.
  • Born in Pakistan, came here at age 9. In the process of renouncing Pakistani Citizenship. Hustle up and do that, for reasons that I hope are obvious. Are you a US citizen yet? Do that as well...
  • Speak Pashto & Urdu, though I have been told the Navy doesn't care too much? I'd be VERY surprised if that last part was true...
  • PT-Ex High. Sweet…keep it up.
  • Tier 2 on last FITREP and number one pick for squad leader, though I have class during drill so didn't get it. Still good...
  • Done with with Calc/Physics. Still good...
  • AS in Math/Science. AA in Education. Still good...
  • 1st Semester GPA- 1.7 ( I know I REALLLLLLLLY *&^%**& up). It's okay…you can say it…we know. You fucked up. Stop doing that.
  • 2nd Semester GPA-3.1 See? That was easy… (or maybe not…), but you did it. Still good...
  • 3rd Semester(last Fall) GPA 3.5, CUM GPA now, 3.099. Still good...
I think you can take the fact that your CO is still throwing at you in batting practice as "a good sign". Don't let him/her or YOURSELF down. Swing away...

Tex15

Any word on Advanced Standing yet?

My unit hasn't heard anything for either the side loads or advanced standing. The only information I've heard is a rumor floating around that the board met at the beginning of May, though I heard it from students so I can't speak as to its veracity. I emailed my LT two weeks ago (home for the summer, so I can't stop by the office) and he didn't respond. A friend called the office several days ago and no one answered. No one in my unit knows anything more than we did when we submitted our applications in February.

Renegade One

None
Well, I got the word from my CO in April and I got the 2-year. Really excited, not the real test begins.
Winner…winner! Chicken dinner!

Yes…you are correct…now the REAL test begins. But you're in a very good place, I think. Best of luck and stay in touch.