• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few questions about NSI comforts

mistisocracka

heading up NSI as part of the sta-21 fy06 class. ive browsed the forums a bit trying to gather as much information as possible so i dont have to ask too many questions. i suppose my biggest one is upon reading about the limited space in the provided beqs, is it possible to have a computer and more important one with internet access? if not, is there anywhere that internet access is provided? thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to provide some input.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
When I went to NSI in Oct 02, each room had 1 computer with internet access. They had filters on it so you couldnt check aol/yahoo/etc.. along with all the naughty sites. They set up a Navy email address so people can still contact you though. Not sure how much it has changed since then. Someguys had laptops and used them, not sure about the internet, it was mostly used for movies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, NSI as of last June/July. Yes, you have a computer. The external mail systems are still filtered out, so you can't access hotmail/yahoo and all that other stuff. Don't try to get past the security, they'll find out. We lost two people out of our class for using a crack disk to get admin pw. Yeah, the computers are pretty much useless, but you can watch dvd's w/ em so that works out well.

There is plenty of reading and other homework that will keep you busy at NSI, so unless you're a qm, engineering type, or weapons type you'll have 4 classes of stuff you've never seen before. The weekends are annoying for the first 4-5, then you'll get some decent liberty and your civies back. Just in time to get out of there and head to your NROTC unit, which unit are you going to?

mistisocracka

my official orders are to auburn. but im still awaiting an acceptance letter from ut. but since im not a texas resident they said i wouldn't know until late march or so. is it true also that theres an internet cafe somewhere on base where we can check hotmail, yahoo, etc? that info just coming from one of the past postings i read. yeah it probably going to suck to lose liberty again but in the end its worth it. ive just gotten used to my quarterdeck cake job while ive been on admin hold down here.

on a side note, right after i visited the site i turned on the tube and low and behold the goonies were on the first channel i turned to. lol odd coincidence but it amused me.

KimberlyD

During BOOST you are able to use the Enlisted Club w/ the Internet Cafe, in NSI you aren't *supposed* to use the E Club or the O Club BUT a lot of people continued using the Internet Cafe at the E Club. It's a short walk fr the dorms, down the hill right by the Exchange.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
During BOOST you are able to use the Enlisted Club w/ the Internet Cafe, in NSI you aren't *supposed* to use the E Club or the O Club BUT a lot of people continued using the Internet Cafe at the E Club. It's a short walk fr the dorms, down the hill right by the Exchange.

*BAD GOUGE ALERT!?!?!*

We were specifically told we could use the O-club there. They had a great Thursday? lobster special, and the bar food was pretty good as well.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
It's a short walk fr the dorms...
I certainly wouldn't classify Nimitz Hall as a dorm. But I wouldn't call it a BEQ either. No, it's more like roach hotel. You can get in, but you can't get out.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:
*BAD GOUGE ALERT!?!?!*

We were specifically told we could use the O-club there. They had a great Thursday? lobster special, and the bar food was pretty good as well.
...and an awesom brunch on Sundays. Just make sure you make a reservation and dress appropriately.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
They didn't check when I was there. If you show up and don't look lost, no one will question you. We were allowed to go to the o'club and that was great. The internet cafe was also good once you got some free time on the weekends.

KimberlyD

fc2spyguy said:
*BAD GOUGE ALERT!?!?!*

Congrats then, we were there in '02 I think & while I had very fond memories of Sunday brunches there my husband told me that it was completely off limits to the OC's.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
When I went to NSI last year, we were allowed to go to the O club in uniform. We weren't supposed to go to the E club. If that is where the bowling alley is, maybe I shouldn't have been there The bowling alley is where the internet cafe was that I used to check outside e-mail.
Each room already has two computers (one per person). We were able to use USB drives to share powerpoint and such. The computers have built in speakers and are equipped with DVD drives.

Once you are an Officer Candidate you are most certainly allowed to go to O-club, it is encouraged so that it will not be so foreign in the not so distant future.

KimberlyD must have mistaken her husband for not wanting to go to the O-club vice not being allowed.

KimberlyD

redmariner97 said:
KimberlyD must have mistaken her husband for not wanting to go to the O-club vice not being allowed.

You better find a babysitter & make that reservation for Tuesday PLUS as penance, you'll be spending Easter, Mother's Day AND Father's Day at the Club having Brunch. Love ya honey.

NFOKP

checking in to NSI

If I get to NSI a few days early would you recommend checking in right away or getting a hotel room until your arrival date? If I check in to the beq, would I be allowed liberty the first few days before class-up?