• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few little questions (and hello)

blarged

ready
hey, so I've been reading through AW for quite a while, but have held back on posting, until now...

Questions first, then introduction:
I'm a little confused on the exact meaning of pro rec'd (professional recommended?) Are you pro rec'd after taking the ASTB? Is all of what pro rec'd mean is you score well enough on the test for your community of interest?

Does anyone know when January IW boards are?

So a little bit about myself...
I am a 3rd out of 5 year computer science student at University of Cincinnati
I am hoping to be accepted to the IW community for BDCP
My ASTB scores were 7/7/7/65
I go to MEPS sometime very soon.

I am also logging my bdcp process on my blog: http://blog.pawlak.ws/category/bdcp/

nugget81

pilot
A pro-rec is the biggest hurdle in getting your desired position in the Navy. You take the ASTB, your application, LOR's and such, i.e. your package, and they all get sent to the selection board for the communities you applied for. If you get picked up by a community (as in, they say "we want him") then that is a pro-rec.

However, that is only half the battle. Now you still need to fill out some more paperwork like security questionnaires and the like, and your new, bigger package gets sent back for a second look. If they still want you for that position, then the Navy will offer a "final selection notice" and it's up to you to sign on the dotted line and accept the position.

But then it's still not done. Now it becomes your job to lose. In BDCP, you still have to graduate on time, keep your nose clean, and pass OCS, and pass your community's training schools before you hit the fleet (unless you are a SWO, they go straight to a ship after OCS).

Clear as mud?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It is very rare to get turned down after you get pro-rec. Pro-rec is the biggest obstacle to getting in BDCP.

blarged

ready
That's a pretty extensive blog. May become good gouge one day though.

BTW, how are you looking in terms of passing the application PFT?

Thanks all for the good answers!

I think I should be OK on the PFT. I'll admit straight out that I am tall and lanky, so not the strongest, but I will be able to hold my own well. Is the PFT the same as the PRT? If so, I've got the running and curl-ups all set, I'd just need to work on the push ups a little bit.

I was looking through some other threads earlier today and took note of the site: http://www.navy-prt.com

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
PFT is a Marine Corps thing. PRT is a Navy thing. I'm tall and lanky, too, so I know what you mean.

Your ASTB score is good, so unless you're a felon or have bad grades, or you actually suck at PT, then you're good to go.

Welcome to aW...Don't get addicted.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think I should be OK on the PFT. I'll admit straight out that I am tall and lanky, so not the strongest, but I will be able to hold my own well. Is the PFT the same as the PRT? If so, I've got the running and curl-ups all set, I'd just need to work on the push ups a little bit.

I'm guilty of confusing the two as there is a difference. But right now, doing the push up, sit ups, and the run in sequence well is what matters.

schwarti

Contributor
Also, if you're inflexible, start working on the sit-reach. Stretch so that you can touch your toes and be able to hold it for at least several seconds. I definitely never knew you had to do that until my PRT and the fresh-from-OCS ensign made me do it. It's something that does take time to improve on, so make sure you're stretching several times a day.

blur

A-pool
schwarti - what exactly do you have to do for the PRT? I'm taking it tomorrow (lol) and I wasn't aware of the toe reach either. I'm ready for the run, push-ups, and sit-ups...anything else?

blarged

ready
Also, if you're inflexible, start working on the sit-reach. Stretch so that you can touch your toes and be able to hold it for at least several seconds. I definitely never knew you had to do that until my PRT and the fresh-from-OCS ensign made me do it. It's something that does take time to improve on, so make sure you're stretching several times a day.

oh man... flexible? hah... if I remember right back 6ish years ago in high school I got a -5 (yes, negative) on the sit and reach. hmm... i'll definitely be adding more stretching to the sequence. Yoga here I come!

Kycntryboy

pilot
oh man... flexible? hah... if I remember right back 6ish years ago in high school I got a -5 (yes, negative) on the sit and reach. hmm... i'll definitely be adding more stretching to the sequence. Yoga here I come!

My freshman year in high school got a -10, still a record I believe lol, once I got my hammies to loosen up I was finally able to touch my toes in college. Never did it in a PRT until OCS. Tangent... Yoga, holy shit. They had us do it in college during winter practice for football, that is a f'n workout. I definitely have respect for that type of workout, albeit gay for guys still a good workout.

schwarti

Contributor
schwarti - what exactly do you have to do for the PRT? I'm taking it tomorrow (lol) and I wasn't aware of the toe reach either. I'm ready for the run, push-ups, and sit-ups...anything else?

Sit-reach, curl-ups, push-ups, run. In that order. That's how I did it, anyway, and that's what the OCS grad who supervised said would be done at OCS. I think the sit-reach doesn't get mentioned because for most people, it's a non-issue. You sit and just touch your toes. I managed to do it and I'm one of the stiffest people you'll ever meet. :D

Some recruiters won't make you do it. The OPO here was also there, and he didn't know the sit-reach was a part of it, so you might not have to do it until OCS.

nugget81

pilot
With all the above being said, never ever let a recruiter let you slide on the PRT just before heading to OCS. You will be setting yourself up for failure at OCS by doing so. The PRT at OCS is not run by your recruiter or by anyone in the fleet - it's run by DI's. They will not accept anything less than perfect form. Practice the right way now....

BackOrdered

Contributor
With all the above being said, never ever let a recruiter let you slide on the PRT just before heading to OCS. You will be setting yourself up for failure at OCS by doing so. The PRT at OCS is not run by your recruiter or by anyone in the fleet - it's run by DI's. They will not accept anything less than perfect form. Practice the right way now....

The Recruiting District takes a hit when their Officer Candidates fails the IN-PRT. Doesn't make much since in the first place to let them slide before OCS.