• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A feeling of disappointment...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Again, you showed up knowing the basics of how to fly that aircraft. You weren't dead weight to the command for 3-6 months and have to bug your Chief and his guys to take time out of his 12+ hour days to train you on every single aspect of the aircraft plus basic stuff like how to review the division's CSMP or put out an electrical fire before Bonefish 2 happens.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but as long as the Navy sends SWO/sub Ensigns into the meat grinder the E7 is senior to O1 mentality will be there, even for the Chiefs who show a lot more tact about it. And if you can't take a little "you're meeting my expectations for an Ens, you're just not exceeding any" ribbing in stride during checkouts when you don't know the answer to something, then you will be labelled a self entitled tool and sink. Quals mean more than rank because every guy who can't pull his own weight really hurts everyone else's QOL.

I was going to give up on this thread, but this shows that the point is still being missed. First, this kind of environment does NOT exist in the SWO community (at least from what I've seen on 6 different ships...CG, DDG, FFG). Are Ensigns handled with kid gloves for responsibility? Sure, but they're not belittled in public by the khaki.

Second, do sub Ensigns not get a Divo job their first 3-6 months? It doesn't matter how few quals someone has, everywhere else (SWO, Aviation, etc), the O-1 (or boot nugget for aviation) is still a Divo and the Chief works for him. The Divo has to be able to trust the Chief and if he's diming out the Divo in front of the troops. F-.

It's apparently your communities culture. Congrats, it's apparently actually worse than SWOs. Enjoy.

LET73

As an ensign, I never saw anything as extreme as what Spekkio describes, but I can see how the attitude develops in the sub community. I've worked with and around submariners and sub riders, and I've seen similar stuff. And in the surface community, no, ensigns aren't openly belittled, as in, you wouldn't see a chief openly say, no, I'm not going to follow any order you give me until you get your pin, but it's also obvious that some don't take you seriously. I did see a similar attitude when I was an O-2 in Afghanistan with the Army. The senior enlisted didn't *quite* try to give me orders, but it was pretty clear that they (and my chain of command) expected me to do what they said (I'm talking admin-type stuff here, not lives at stake where experience counts). I can see how the overt disrespect that Spekkio is talking about would come up. It's not outside the realm of possibility, and there are commands where it's tolerated. It shouldn't be, but it is, and the ensign isn't going to change it by standing up for himself. He's going to change it by not being a tool once he's in a position of authority, and by telling his chiefs, once they'll listen to him, that he's not going to tolerate having the new guys treated like that.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, you showed up knowing the basics of how to fly that aircraft. You weren't dead weight to the command for 3-6 months and have to bug your Chief and his guys to take time out of his 12+ hour days to train you on every single aspect of the aircraft plus basic stuff like how to review the division's CSMP or put out an electrical fire before Bonefish 2 happens.
Come on now. Let's give your nuke training a little more credit than that, shall we. Submariners show up to the boat knowing far more about ship's systems than a SWO does. Submariner officers show up knowing that they're going to qualify EOOW and are given a fuck load of training before ever stepping foot on a real boat. SWOs on the other hand may or may not qualify EOOW on their first tour. They may or may not even know before arriving to their ship if they'll be in engineering or topside. They may or may not have even received any formal training on the type of plant that their ship has. And if they do, it's a couple months a most and they certainly don't get to learn how to operate one hands on. So let's not play the "woe is me" card here. You guys show up well prepared, or at the very least, with a major advantage over your SWO brethren. I'm not suggesting here that you guys don't still have to learn the ins and outs of your specific plant on that particular boat. Simply saying that you guys show up knowing more about what you need to do and how to do it than most SWOs do. I've been through a lot of training in the Navy. Of everything I've been exposed to, the best five in my opinion are 1) Nuclear power school and prototype 2) Flight school for SNA's/SNFO's. 3) GLO and NGFS team training 4) VBSS training 5) Nuke EM A School.

Spekkio said:
I'm not condoning the behavior, but as long as the Navy sends SWO/sub Ensigns into the meat grinder the E7 is senior to O1 mentality will be there, even for the Chiefs who show a lot more tact about it. And if you can't take a little "you're meeting my expectations for an Ens, you're just not exceeding any" ribbing in stride during checkouts when you don't know the answer to something, then you will be labelled a self entitled tool and sink. Quals mean more than rank because every guy who can't pull his own weight really hurts everyone else's QOL.
Leave SWOs out of this paradigm. The culture that you've been discussing here does not exist in SWOland. In fact, all the department LCPOs and CMC's I've worked with would never have put up with this kind of culture.

azguy

None

Please let go of the concept that being a strong (and effective) officer means you are a spoiled little prick. Some enlisted guys may think that, but who really cares? We're here to lead, plan, and execute tasking, not suck up to Chief so he will sign off your qual card faster.

SWOs show up with less training than nukes and are still expected to act like officers on day 1. Does everyone handle that well? No, but if this shit was easy I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Again, you showed up knowing the basics of how to fly that aircraft. You weren't dead weight to the command

...and even that what do boot aviators bring to the table?

Because if it has anything to do with signing for an aircraft - let alone any ordnance - you're wrong.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As an ensign, I never saw anything as extreme as what Spekkio describes, but I can see how the attitude develops in the sub community. I've worked with and around submariners and sub riders, and I've seen similar stuff. And in the surface community, no, ensigns aren't openly belittled, as in, you wouldn't see a chief openly say, no, I'm not going to follow any order you give me until you get your pin, but it's also obvious that some don't take you seriously. I did see a similar attitude when I was an O-2 in Afghanistan with the Army. The senior enlisted didn't *quite* try to give me orders, but it was pretty clear that they (and my chain of command) expected me to do what they said (I'm talking admin-type stuff here, not lives at stake where experience counts). I can see how the overt disrespect that Spekkio is talking about would come up. It's not outside the realm of possibility, and there are commands where it's tolerated. It shouldn't be, but it is, and the ensign isn't going to change it by standing up for himself. He's going to change it by not being a tool once he's in a position of authority, and by telling his chiefs, once they'll listen to him, that he's not going to tolerate having the new guys treated like that.
This sums up what my point in a nutshell. I gave two extreme examples just to demonstrate that CoC backing just isn't going to be there in even the blatant cases, even if you decide not to 'take it' as an Ens. Only thing you can do is put it in your back pocket until you've earned credibility or authority influence or whatever you want to call it.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I think most people in the submarine community attribute and suggest that ill feelings toward ensign non-quals (nubs) is based on their inability to pull their own weight. Unfortunately I don't believe that is the root cause. Think about it, as an officer, sure you may not be qualified to do a whole lot, or stand certain watches, but those are primarily OFFICER duties and have little to no impact on ENLISTED QOL. I do agree it could be part of what leads to the acceptance of treating anyone not qualified as less of an individual (especially if you realized the things they did or did not allow a non-qual to do (such as eat dessert or face the tv while eating food on the mess decks), however, in my humble opinion, it comes down to a completely different atmosphere on a submarine that does not exist on surface ships or in the Marine Corps.

First off, the many enlisted Marines I have talked to, as well as the Marine Officers and Senior Enlisted I have met, have had by far the most strict views of appropriate interactions between juniors and seniors, as well as officers an enlisted. Such as being chastised as an E-6 for not giving the appropriate greeting of the day to an E-7 while using the head...

Secondly, I would say this is to a lesser extent true from the surface enlisted and officers I have met (even the different attitudes between surface Nuke and sub Nuke).

Thirdly, sub guys are required to have higher asvab scores and consist of a crew that is made up with about 1/4-1/3 enlisted nuclear submariners) where many of them are actually smarter than the average officer and have either already completed a degree or are in the process of completing one.

Fourthly, the chiefs quarters (goat locker) is by far, way different than other communities I have come across. Firstly, they eat in the same mess deck as the rest of the enlisted. Secondly, they stand the same watches as E-6's and sometimes E-5's. Also, the head "chief"/CMC is usually junior in time and rank compared to the head "nuclear chief" where the CMC (COB) is typically a senior chief and the EDMC is either a senior chief, but more frequently, a master chief. This in some ways downplays the importance of rank.

Fifthly, the enlisted nukes went through a similar training process as the officers as well as they worked and qualified together at the same prototype. Additionally, the prototype's are for the most part, reactors that are in no way shape or form similar to the reactors on the current submarines, since most of them are from decommissioned boats/ship.
Then you have to realize that they put the brand new ensign in charge of a division in engineering, with the guys that primarily have a degree or are at least smart enough to have a degree, and their initial watches that they stand are in the "box" with the more seasoned and senior enlisted nukes on the boat. Within 2 years they are no longer in the box and no longer in charge of a nuclear division, so you rinse and repeat this interaction of giving the junior most guy to the guys who see bars as the only difference between them and it starts to create an idea that an Ensign is not REALLY an officer, just as a non-qualified enlisted person is not REALLY a person.

Lastly, and maybe the most important. They stand watch in the box, as described, where the culture is "watch team backup" which really means, if anyone screws up, you all are getting punished. This coupled with how we are required to "strongly recommend" actions, especially if they are counter to what the officer tells you, and especially considering the gravity of the situation in front of you, most nuclear operators do not trust their junior officers who are put in charge of them. It is not that we do not like them / respect them / etc, it is that they do not have as much experience, and their actions have grave consequences that puts the entire watch team at the risk of going to captains mast. I acknowledge that this scenario is similar and probably worse in many other communities, however, coupled with the other reasons above (specifically the third, fourth, and fifth) this is just my belief of why there exists inappropriate interactions of chiefs and senior enlisted with junior officers, specifically non-qualified ones.

I do not condone these views and I believe that even though most guys will give crap to the brand new Ensign and may say things that are disrespectful, I believe they would still follow any legitimate order if given. I have always insisted that being on submarines is hands down worse than being a SWO. Considering the fact that our happiness can boil down to a saying that most submariners have heard, as "Once the hatch is shut, there is only so much happiness on board, and the only way to become MORE happy, is to STEAL someone else's happiness" it is easy to understand that most people are just disgruntled and blur the lines of what is appropriate and what is not appropriate, especially when you have been beaten down for multiple years and start to feel that formalities and pleasantries are just a luxury that fall way behind operational commitments, maintenance, and watch standing.

Maybe Spekkio and myself have 2 bad eggs within our community, however, we are a small community and ever other nuke I have met or known, has pretty much given some sort of example similar to the one that Spekkio describes. It is unfortunate and hopefully it will be changed one day, however, I really do believe that the submarine force has a special atmosphere about it, that is unlike any other community in the rest of our military.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Come on now. Let's give your nuke training a little more credit than that, shall we. Submariners show up to the boat knowing far more about ship's systems than a SWO does. Submariner officers show up knowing that they're going to qualify EOOW and are given a fuck load of training before ever stepping foot on a real boat...
Kind of a threadjack...

NNPS/NPTU isn't what it used to be, at least according to the senior/master chiefs I've spoken to. The bar for passing is 62.5%. The passing rate is now well over 90% and they want 100%, pair that with 'drafts' of candidates who ordinarilly wouldn't have gotten into the program.

Secondly, many nukes would tell you (myself included) that the 6 months spent at NPTU is virtually worthless. Maybe 25% of what you learn there is applicable to the fleet (I'm being generous), and if you really think officers need 6 months to learn how to run around with a qual card and persistently bug people for checkouts on things that don't exist on any submarine anywhere then I suppose it's useful. Electrical distribution, Rx I&C, and all the fluid composites are completely different. Operations are completely different, especially if you're going from S8G -> S6G, and the civilians at NPTU teach you the wrong stuff. Even the stuff that's same in concept has different specs, and NR expects you to know all that detailed information. Not that it matters because you only spend a whopping 28 hours between 7 watches at NPTU where you have to demonstrate academically failing knowledge/proficiency in any other institution before you graduate anyway. In that time you learn nothing about damage control, one of the most important aspects of submarining.

Then it's 8 months of SOBC where you decompress a bit from the nuke training and learn the basics of TMA, how to dance with the 1-eyed lady and yell "OOD, I think you need to look at this" anytime you think someone is close, and how to read a sonar display. I actually found this training miles better than NPTU, although there's one problem.... it's off to the boat, where you are kicked back to qualify in the ER and no one wants to see your face in control working on the tactical stuff that is fresh in your head. Along the way you learn that there's a lot more to a submarine than a reactor and ER. If the guy picks things up fast, he'll qualify in the ER in 3 months and gain the respect of the nukes for being competent, if he was a '2.5 to stay alive' guy he'll take 6 and everyone will still think he's retarded.

This isn't a "whoa is me," it is what it is. I got through it. I came out alive. It's all good. But if you think that is good training that adequately prepares a guy for his job, I cringe to think of what 'bad' training is. I don't know what SWOs get, if it's less than that then that really sucks.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Second, do sub Ensigns not get a Divo job their first 3-6 months? It doesn't matter how few quals someone has, everywhere else (SWO, Aviation, etc), the O-1 (or boot nugget for aviation) is still a Divo and the Chief works for him. The Divo has to be able to trust the Chief and if he's diming out the Divo in front of the troops. F-.
Yes, they get divisions, paired with a conversation with the XO/CO that goes along the lines of "Chief runs the division. You learn from him, but your job is primarily to get qualified." Intense JO involvement in divisional operations isn't really expected and because the command is so small it's often easier (and a bad habit that can develop) for DHs to go to CPOs directly. I actually had a good experience in this regard as my first CPO was very, very knowledgeable about everything and taught me how to dig through all the references.
It's apparently your communities culture. Congrats, it's apparently actually worse than SWOs. Enjoy.
Worse? I don't know, I don't have any basis for comparison. All I know is that it's an environment where your knowledge and qualifications mean a lot more to anyone than your collar device, and the only way to get respect is to earn it not demand it.

I gave a couple of extreme examples that probably don't happen everywhere (but we probably weren't the only sub in the world with a 'salty' Chief's mess), but as LET alluded to even if it's more subtle there's really very little command authority a new guy has.
Please let go of the concept that being a strong (and effective) officer means you are a spoiled little prick
You were the one advocating trying to mast a CPO as a nub/FNG. You do realize that the XO would be handing a report chit to one of your peers where they would interpret it as "FNG is buttheart that a CPO was mean," right?

I don't think you need to be a prick to be a strong and effective officer; I think that the perception among a small command that you are a prick will quickly arise if you show up trying to throw around your rank, which is what you guys were saying he should've done. As LET said, the only real solution is to qualify and then not tolerate it toward the next guy when you are more senior.

niner61

AimingHigh
WOW. I wasn't expecting this much dialogue over the issue, though I am very grateful I am reading stories. I have picked up the scholarship and have no plans other than to commission.

With regards to the chief and his comments towards the O.

-What I have always been told is the best thing to do in any situation that has to do with that type of behavior is a talk behind closed doors. Something to the effect of "You don't talk like that to me, in public or private." I can see that there is quite a lot of debate as to how it should have been handled, but would this not have been an appropriate way of dealing with it?