• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Day On The Catapults...

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I've read that barricade story before, scared the hell out of me. Hope he got a DFC out of that. Some seriously amazing flying, and intestinal fortitude. I probably would have thrown up afterwards, assuming I could pull off the same feat.

Nose

pilot
This sounded familiar... So I did a search... I read something similar in Approach when I was still on Active Duty, does it happen often?

Good article. As a side note: Why do the gomers at the safety center feel like they have to write something at the end of an article, no matter how lame it is?

Flugelman

Contributor
Oh, and sometimes the cat does not even need to fire for an interesting day.

Tailpipe came apart while at high power in tension. Nice fire.
a6500.jpg
Did they blow the canopy? And if so, where did it land?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completely concur. I am willing to bet Oyster's barricade started with a shooter that wasn't topside and didn't "walk the cat" before the launch began.

PS Nice flying turkey leg.

I can see this go down when the cat is clobbered with a/c that are parked and/or fueling and the already pre-flighted cat is sealed up. Even though shooters are in the bubble, the track has to be @ least re-walked to make sure the seals are out (and properly stored) and all of the chocks/chains/wands/tools are gone.

I prefer shooting topside so I can see what's going on and move about. I will say the bubble is nice when it is raining.

For those that don't know what a slot seal is, please see this pic.

For those that don't know what the bubble is, please see this pic.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a mix. You have to operate on both to keep the equipment up. The primary way to shoot a/c on Nimitz class boats is the bubble. Actually this setup is the backup or emergency way to shoot a/c if the bubble is inop.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I can see this go down when the cat is clobbered with a/c that are parked and/or fueling and the already pre-flighted cat is sealed up. Even though shooters are in the bubble, the track has to be @ least re-walked to make sure the seals are out (and properly stored) and all of the chocks/chains/wands/tools are gone.

I prefer shooting topside so I can see what's going on and move about. I will say the bubble is nice when it is raining.

For those that don't know what a slot seal is, please see this pic.

For those that don't know what the bubble is, please see this pic.

TR has ALWAYS been a "Topside" boat for shooting. Agree with Big Iron completely - your SA is exponentially higher shooting topside (IMO) than when shooting in the bubble - especially shooting the waist bubble at night. Can't see a damn thing if you have to suspend. I'm just sayin' . . . . .

robav8r

None
Contributor
So you retain the option, then?

On TR, yes, most of the time (every boat is a little bit different and reflects the attitude and demeanor of the V2 Bos'n), however, you are mandated to shoot from the bubble a certain percentage of the time because the bubble is the "primary" means of shooting. As long as the V2 Bos'n gets his minimum bubble shots, he'll let you shoot topside as much as you want - to a certain degree.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
all this shooter talk brings back memories of those filthy sob's coming in the dirty shirt mess.
man, the stench...of midrats!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
all this shooter talk brings back memories of those filthy sob's coming in the dirty shirt mess.
man, the stench...of midrats!
Ahhhhh ..... MIDRATs ..... the haute cuisine of the carrier Navy world.

Sometimes a guy would get a huge jar of peanut butter in a care package from home and we'd rip off a big jar of jam and a loaf of bread from the galley ---- be still my beating heart.

3-4 of us would sit down and consume the whole thing ... MIDRATs flight suits, sweaty guys, dirty shirts, laughin' and scratchin' all the way .... and PB&J's .... all washed down with bug juice. :)

Funny how the little things count when you don't have too much.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
On the Nimitz, we always did 2 days top side, followed by 2 days in the bubble. We didn't do any late changes to bubble if it was raining. If my memory serves me correctly, I think we did 4 days bubble followed by 2 days top side when I went TAD to the GW for 4 months. I agree, being top side definitely improves your overall SA. I found it a lot easier to work interval during CQs when I was top side too.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
.. I found it a lot easier to work interval during CQs when I was top side too.

I absolutely agree with this. Nothing like a phone call to the bubble when the aircraft you just launched is now in an unbriefed formation flight with the bolter aircraft.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Ahhhhh ..... MIDRATs ..... the haute cuisine of the carrier Navy world.

Sometimes a guy would get a huge jar of peanut butter in a care package from home and we'd rip off a big jar of jam and a loaf of bread from the galley ---- be still my beating heart.

3-4 of us would sit down and consume the whole thing ... MIDRATs flight suits, sweaty guys, dirty shirts, laughin' and scratchin' all the way .... and PB&J's .... all washed down with bug juice. :)

Funny how the little things count when you don't have too much.

You forgot the turbo dog.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Didn't have 'em, didn't know 'em, didn't need 'em, I guess .... :)

No dog back then?!?! Say it isn't so! Man when the dog machine is down, woe be the poor wardroom attendant within ear shot at midrats after the last recovery. Especially if the popcorn machine is hard down.