• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A day in the life (SWOs in action)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I figured I'd give this thread a day or so to see what the general consensus would be. Not surprisingly, there is none. As typical in AW fashion, the lack of knowledge does not prevent folks from hitting the submit button. Without anything better to say, one line witty (but not so witty) comments quickly fill the thread. Hey, I do it too. I understand to post SOMETHING, even if it's not helpful, can sometimes be to overwhelming.

Cwyx, I'll try to answer your question as best as I can. Robav8r had a couple good nuggets of info for you. He's right in some respects, wrong in others and I'll explain. Cwyx, keep in mind when you ask what a SWO does on a primarily aviation centric board, you are going to get replies based on various aviators' observations and not actual experiences of being a SWO. There's only one aviator that I know of on this board that I would say has a solid understanding of what a SWO does. The rest are just assuming they know based on what they've seen or heard, whether firsthand or otherwise.

Flash was pretty much spot on even though I know he was trying to be funny. I frequently have people ask me since getting out what I did in the navy. Trying to avoid a complicated conversation that I know they aren't going to understand, I simply tell them I was a naval officer. The real curious ones ask me what I did as an officer, so I tell them I was a surface warfare officer. Usually I get the deer in the headlights look, their eyes glazed over in utter confusion. Then after the predictable, "What is that?", I tell them I served on the ships that shoot the Tomahawk missiles. That usually "takes care" of their confusion even though I didn't tell them anything that I actually did. Unless they have some naval experience, they simply wouldn't understand if I did.

So what the hell does a SWO actually do? There are really two primary functions of a SWO. One is to lead people in various divisions and departments of the ship and manage its systems, equipment, and programs. This is what you do when you're not on watch (and even sometimes when you are). The other is to safely navigate the ship from point A to point B and to use the ship's weapon systems to accomplish the assigned mission. You do this while you're on watch as part of an entire watch team.

What types of watches can/will you stand? Typically you'll start out as a Conning Officer (i.e. "Left full rudder, steer course 265" or "All ahead two-thirds for 15 knots). Then you'll move up to JOOD (Junior Officer of the Deck) or OOD U/I (under instruction), and then ultimately qualify as OOD U/W (underway). At some point during your qual as OOD, you'll also stand watches down in Combat and qualify as CICWO (Combat Information Center Watch Officer). You'll also qualify as a Small Boat Officer or as we simply call it, Boat O. With the exception of Boat O, any of these watches can be 4 or 5 hours each with you standing on average of two per day while underway. At some point during your qual process, you’ll need to get your SWO engineering qual. This is not the same as an EOOW qual which I’ll describe in a minute. It is a basic qual that ensures you have the big picture understanding of how the engineering systems work, how they affect other parts of the ship. Specifically, it’s to ensure that you know what to do when standing OOD or CICWO when the EOOW calls up, for example, and says they just lost the #2 Chill Water pump or there are high vibes in the #1 MRG (main reduction gear). Once you get your OOD qual, then it’s time to bring all the knowledge together and get your SWO qual, which once complete, you’ll be designated a SWO and authorized to wear the warfare pin.

Another watch that you can stand is EOOW (Engineering Officer of the Watch). The EOOW is responsible for managing the safe operation of the engineering plant. This could mean bringing up the plant to full power, or taking an engine offline for maintenance or switching the electrical plant around. There are a plethora of things the EOOW is responsible for.

Of course, all these watches are just that….watches. You still have a day job that must be done which usually means juggling the workload of running your division and keeping on top of your collateral duties. Based on what I have read here, many of what would be described as collateral duties for SWO’s are the day jobs for aviators. The exception to this would be those aviators that have divisions. But how many actually do at any given time?

Ok, that’s the end of this part. I have more to say, just now right now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sticky?

Maybe you ought to put the above explanation, and whatever other explanations you might have, as a sticky on the SWO forum.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
1) about how long is it between checking in and conning to becoming a full-fledged SWO?

2) on watch between points a and b are you allowed to study up for everything else?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1) about how long is it between checking in and conning to becoming a full-fledged SWO?
Depends on when you check in. If you check in right before or shortly after the ship pulls into drydock, it's gonna be a while before you even get underway again. However, if you check in right before the ship leaves for a 6 month deployment, it is quite possible to get your OOD qual in that time frame. You'd probably get you SWO qual within 3 to 6 months after that

dodge said:
2) on watch between points a and b are you allowed to study up for everything else?
Depends on what's going on at the time and what watch you're standing. If you're standing ANY watch on the bridge or in combat during a RAS (replenishment at sea) or an entering/exiting port evolution, then you won't be studying anything.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
which qual covers the high art of the wind hunting circle?
Personally, I never understood what was so friggin hard about positioning the ship to gets winds in the envelope. I've seen way too many guys and gals (OOD and OOD wannabe types) chase their tails (literally) trying find the right winds. They'll either chase the relative wind indicator on the bridge bulkhead or they'll bust out their handy dandy wind finder wiz wheel that they have no idea how to use. Meanwhile, the helo is inbound, the flight crew is hungry, and who the hell knows when the OOD can get winds in the envelope. Too many of them make it too damn complicated. I never chased the wind indicator or used that wiz wheel. Basic vector math always did the trick. It's quick. It's easy. But more importantly, it works and it's effective.

MasterBates

I hated having to use the compass repeater on the LSO shack and the RW on the gauges to figure our the true wind, and then tell them what course and speed to come to..

Only to have then ignore my recommendations. And end up there in 20 minutes.

Comms:

"Bridge, LSO"
"LSO, Go ahead"
"Recommend Course XXX Speed XX for Free Deck Recovery"
"Roger"
10 min later...
"Bridge, LSO"
"Go Ahead"
"Why are the winds still out of limits? Is there traffic restricting maneuvering?"
"Standby"
10 min after that...
"Okay, we have winds in the envelope, now we need to find the Captiain for Green Deck"
5 min later..
"You have green deck 1 and 1"

This could have taken no more than 5 minutes if they LISTENED...

Not all OODs are this bad. Most aren't. But the day you NEED to get aboard ASAP, they go stupid on you..

I had an OOD do WHC's on me with an engine going south.. Winds were variable at 5 knots. They kept on changing course despite the LSO's pleading to just pick a fvcking direction and go fast.

Ended up landing single engine...

robav8r

None
Contributor
Personally, I never understood what was so friggin hard about positioning the ship to gets winds in the envelope.
Surface plot, swell direction, should I ask the Captain to turn now?, will he give me a green deck? What will the CPA be for that contact at 030, closing at 5 knots? What are the pitch & roll limits at night? Will this affect our PIM?, Will we still make our RAS rendevous?

I KNOW Steve is the "pro from Dover" on this issue, but I have seen it over and over and over again. It's not a matter of skill or ability. It's a fundamental difference how SWO JO's and aviator JO's are trained and conditioned. Aviators "DO", SWO's "ask permission."

Pags

N/A
pilot
Personally, I never understood what was so friggin hard about positioning the ship to gets winds in the envelope. I've seen way too many guys and gals (OOD and OOD wannabe types) chase their tails (literally) trying find the right winds. They'll either chase the relative wind indicator on the bridge bulkhead or they'll bust out their handy dandy wind finder wiz wheel that they have no idea how to use. Meanwhile, the helo is inbound, the flight crew is hungry, and who the hell knows when the OOD can get winds in the envelope. Too many of them make it too damn complicated. I never chased the wind indicator or used that wiz wheel. Basic vector math always did the trick. It's quick. It's easy. But more importantly, it works and it's effective.

Yeah, you and I both know it's just simple vector math, but how come ENS Timmy on the bridge with his engineering degree can't seem to figure it out? So instead, he decides to spend 30min driving the boat in circles.