• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A day at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen

taps at 2100? a co. 1stsgt that wants his candidates to get plenty of sleep?

i was in the wrong company!

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
It's a trial phase...they are changing some things in the training program. 184 and 185 (possibly more?) are being used as cohort groups for improving different areas...they are cutting practice for close order drill down quite a bit also, from what I hear.

I got a training schedule for 184 from my OSO that lays out everyday hour by hour. I suppose anyone can ask their OSO for one too.

chinamonk

For anyone interested, I spoke to one of my friends who didn't make the OCC class graduation last year (left week 9 due to knee injury) and went back and got commissioned this past Dec. for the 2003 oct. class. She told me there were some DRASTIC changes, most notably the increased amount of sleep and a decrease in the amount of intensive and injury-prone pt. Most notably for the PT was females did not do log races, the hikes were reduced both in length and in speed. In addition, more candidates injured during training were kept in training even though they were in light duty/non-pt status for prolonged periods of time.

Interestingly, the same is happening at TBS. The endurance course has ceased to be a graded event, and hikes have been reduced in length as well, all in the interest of reducing injuries.

Feel free to argue the merits of each system, the "older, tougher" or the "newer, smarter".

Call me crazy but I miss OCS. There was something about the camraderie, the challenge, the newness of a military environment, even the humor in the staff. Obviously a great deal of it sucked big time but there were definitely some inspiring moments. Rarely does a day go by even a year later that I don't think about even a fraction of a second of my 10 weeks there, about my friends, or the staff.

Citizen

I heard about the changes to the OCC program - not as rough physically, because they were simply losing too many candidates to stupid stuff like shin splints. What i want to know is if the PLC program is going to be any different.

I think that if OCS is trying to be more of a mental/leadership challenge, it's for the better. I know that juniors is kind of a joke, but there was so little leadership training and eveluation it was almost irrelevant. the new SULE X was, albeit a few kinks, a great way to beat us up physically and test our mettle.

by the way, i feel the same way about my time at OCS - some of the most painful, stressfull, plain crappy moments of my life, but now all i can do is look back and laugh.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by chinamonk
The endurance course has ceased to be a graded event, and hikes have been reduced in length as well, all in the interest of reducing injuries.

While the longest hike has been reduced from 20 to 15 miles, the Endurance Course is still alive and well!

airwinger

pilot
I keep feeling like an old fogie when I disagree with making OCS/TBS easier. There is a great quote :
"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and that he is best who is trained in the severest school." Thucydides, Great Peloponnesian War (431-404 B.C.)
Let's hope China and North Korea aren't making their lads hike either.

Status
Not open for further replies.