• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Couple questions

darianlg

Alright so I'm new here to airwarriors so hi everybody. I'm Darian and I'm from CO just so ya know. Well I have a couple questions about this BDCP program.

1. Should I start working on my private pilot's license license and building hours or should I just wait till I get accepted and let them train me?

2. Do they look at high school grades and activities? My gpa is a 3.3 right now (in high school senior year) but I know gpa really matters in this program so I'm bustin my butt in college.

3. Am I guaranteed a job as a pilot of I get accepted into this program?

4. And finally, does it matter what I major in because I really want to major in either English or Sociology?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
1. Should I start working on my private pilot's license license and building hours or should I just wait till I get accepted and let them train me?
Prior flying experience shows motivation and gives you a small edge on your competition.....plus its fun.

2. Do they look at high school grades and activities? My gpa is a 3.3 right now (in high school senior year) but I know gpa really matters in this program so I'm bustin my butt in college.
Yes they look at grades and activities.....how else are they going to know who to select?
No, nothing is ever guarenteed except for death and taxes....do a search on BDCP and the contract fine print.
4. And finally, does it matter what I major in because I really want to major in either English or Sociology?
Major in Business. Although you can major in anything, having a degree like English or Sociology might not be as beneficial as Business or Engineering (cringe at thought) for when you get out.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Alright so I'm new here to airwarriors so hi everybody. I'm Darian and I'm from CO just so ya know. Well I have a couple questions about this BDCP program.

1. Dont worry about it if you dont want to fly now or dont have the money. Usually makes no difference unless you have a ton of hours.

2. No. Only college is important to them, and you need at least 30 hours to apply so take easy courses for your first 30 to boost the GPA.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, tech degrees can use the program for 3 years, lame BA degrees like English or Sociology can only use the program for 2 years. Plus they are a complete waste of a chance to get a good education that will be useful in the future. Major in something useful and minor in one of those.

Start early, and stay in contact with your recruiter. He is the best source of info. Good luck!

jg5343

pilot
On #2 they will need to see something that makes you stand out, but I think HS is small potatoes to them. i.e. Chess club is not a bonus, but volunteering 400 hours a month at the hospital is legit.

darianlg

Thanks for clarifying on everything guys but I think I'm gonna stick with my major even though I have to wait a couple years to be eligible for BDCP. I'm not really that good at math and I think any other career outside of these two majors would be boring. I'd be happy with a lower salary but going to work everyday and being happy. But thanks a lot, I'm calling a recruiter today and gettin some more info. Fly Navy.

jg5343

pilot
Thanks for clarifying on everything guys but I think I'm gonna stick with my major even though I have to wait a couple years to be eligible for BDCP. I'm not really that good at math and I think any other career outside of these two majors would be boring. I'd be happy with a lower salary but going to work everyday and being happy. But thanks a lot, I'm calling a recruiter today and gettin some more info. Fly Navy.

If you are wanting to be a pilot, I wouldn't avoid technical/science classes in college. They will help you through flight school for sure, and definitely when you are learning aircraft systems. Just ask some of the other lib arts majors on here....

Like I said, you can minor in English (not sure what career you could build from that that doesn't invlove teaching) and still have a career in it. Just a bit of advice from a guy who hears people say on a regular basis how they wish they hadn't wasted college on some easy degree. College is supposed to be hard....you might learn something that way.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Major in what you want to, and do well at it. In the long run, hard work and smarts are probably going to matter more than the median salary of your chosen field anyways.

darianlg

thanks eddie, but I have another question. Would it be better to go to metro state college becuase I can either major or minor in aviation technology pr would it be better to go to an actual university that doesn't have the aviation program.

red_ryder

None
Dude. Pick your school as if you weren't joining the navy or going to be a pilot. It's not that important to have previous flight experience, they'll just retrain you anyway.

And at least when you get out, you'll have a usable degree to back you up.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
thanks eddie, but I have another question. Would it be better to go to metro state college becuase I can either major or minor in aviation technology pr would it be better to go to an actual university that doesn't have the aviation program.

I didn't understand your acronyms. But I don't know what would be better for you because I'm sure our priorities are different.

My statment was more general than it was tailored to your EXACT situation.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

Plus if you get your private pilot's license you get to skip IFS, which depending on the current wait time could save you 3 months and let you go straight into API when the time comes.

darianlg

This is just an update. I got accepted at the University of Hawaii at Manoa so I'm going to go there and work on my B.A. in English. I've looked up some career options and I'm happy with a lot of the potential jobs. I'm going to try my damndest and get into BDCP as an SNFO but if it doesn't work out I'll have another career that I'll love waiting for me.

blarged

ready
This is just an update. I got accepted at the University of Hawaii at Manoa so I'm going to go there and work on my B.A. in English. I've looked up some career options and I'm happy with a lot of the potential jobs. I'm going to try my damndest and get into BDCP as an SNFO but if it doesn't work out I'll have another career that I'll love waiting for me.

first, congrats on going to Hawaii.

second, if at first you don't get accepted, apply apply again :)

Best of luck!