• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A couple questions.

SETX07

Ok I'm a long time reader and first time poster. I graduated PLC Seniors this past summer and I'm awaiting commissioning May 19. I have since taken my flight physical down in Pensacola this past august. My questions, which i searched for but didnt really satisfy myself with the answers I found, are how often do you have flight physicals after your intial? I want to believe the flight surgeon said every two years. Is this correct? Also, I have been blessed to have only been born with two wisdom teeth which are actually only "buds", not the whole tooth from what my civ dentist said. Thing is that the docs down in P-cola didnt catch them. Long story short a piece of tooth seems to be coming in. Although there isnt any pain I know the Navy's policy on those teeth. I'm assuming it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and get them out now correct?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok I'm a long time reader and first time poster. I graduated PLC Seniors this past summer and I'm awaiting commissioning May 19. I have since taken my flight physical down in Pensacola this past august. My questions, which i searched for but didnt really satisfy myself with the answers I found, are how often do you have flight physicals after your intial? I want to believe the flight surgeon said every two years. Is this correct? Also, I have been blessed to have only been born with two wisdom teeth which are actually only "buds", not the whole tooth from what my civ dentist said. Thing is that the docs down in P-cola didnt catch them. Long story short a piece of tooth seems to be coming in. Although there isnt any pain I know the Navy's policy on those teeth. I'm assuming it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and get them out now correct?
2 years for short form physicals; 5 years for the long form. Don't know why you need to get the wisdom teeth out. As long as they don't cause you any problems, it shouldn't be a issue.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight physicals are an annual requirement. Short form every year except those years your age ends in a 5 or a 0, then it's the long form and Mooooon Riiiveer :)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
As far as the wisdom teeth go... Lewie is half right. It all depends on the dentist, I went through 3 different doc's who all had no problem with the wisdom teeth still being in my mouth (they were not causing any problems)... then along comes Mr. New Dentist, and wham, the teeth need to come out, no questions asked. So I just did not go back to the dental office until it came time to get the check up for my flight physical, they would not sign me off until they were pulled.

In answer to your question, I would rather have my teeth pulled by a civi doc over any Navy Dentist. But, I would also rather not have them pulled so I would keep rolling the dice.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For whatever reason, I didn't even see he was asking about flight physicals. My bad, sorry for the bad gouge.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Flight physicals are an annual requirement. Short form every year except those years your age ends in a 5 or a 0, then it's the long form and Mooooon Riiiveer :)

Two long forms down and no Moon River. I think he must just like you.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
What's the short form exam consist of?

Eyes (all the tests with no optometry exam, just the puffy thing), ears, blood, dental, and flight doc. If you have any waivers, there are usually annual requirements for those too. If you are here at Whiting, you have to go see the 250 pound nurse and have her tell you to eat more veggies and exercise more (she could take her own advice). Am I missing anything?

SETX07

After already having my flight physical in P-cola this past summer do they become more lenient or does that only come after winging?..Not that I believe NAMI likes to be lenient in the first place on anything at anytime.

es101js

pilot
After already having my flight physical in P-cola this past summer do they become more lenient or does that only come after winging?..Not that I believe NAMI likes to be lenient in the first place on anything at anytime.

If i understand correctly, your first physical was to get your flight contract, and I think everyone (ensigns and 2ndLt including PLCers) get another typical pain in the a$$ NAMI physical after you report to NASP for Api. Then an abbreviated physical every year unless its your five year, long form phyiscal again.
I dont think they get any more leniant as time goes on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know if "lenient" is the word, but once you're designated an SNA (and to NAMI, that means you've passed the Pre-API physical), the waiver guide has a lot more flexibility. Prior to that, when the guide says "CD, Waiver for those designated" (or something like that), than basically it's a DQ until you can get someone to work an angle for them.