• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A couple questions about NSI

DC_Tucsonan

Hello everyone, I've found some very valuable information in this forum but have yet to post anything. Until now that is.

I'm heading to NSI in a couple weeks and there are some questions that I just cannot seem to find answers to. Hopefully a kind soul out there can provide me with some guidance.

First of all, I'm wondering about prohibited items. I saw the list they posted in the information packet, but it seemed a little vague when it comes to electronics. It said that space is very limited, so you can't bring anything other than a personal laptop. I'm going to be driving to Rhode Island so obviously I'll need to bring my phone, in addition to other small consumer electronics. What happens to these? I've read that you have to have all of your things locked up, but it's not like I'm bringing a TV or something so I would assume everything will fit very easily.

Also, I've seen that as soon as you check in you're in Officer Candidate status and won't wear enlisted uniforms. Is the first week at NSI similar to "smurf" week in boot camp? I'm just curious what you wear while you're waiting for new unies. This one is a comparable question, but is there a list of things you need to bring other than the one posted in the selectee info packet? It just seems to me that there would be more I need to bring than what they have on there...

Thank you for your help!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
When I was there, couple years back now, all items had to be stowed in your locker during the day. Your room was open to inspection, and if the desk was not exactly to standard you could find everything on it strewn across the deck. You could have an electric, but it had to be stowed in your locker. Also, you are correct, it's smurf week again.

AlphaTango

I've heard a handful of different answers to the NSI liberty question. Some say all students, including married members who live off base, will be locked down for the first 6 weeks with "A" school like liberty policies. However, others say after the first couple of days married members are authorized off base liberty after the conclusion of the days events. Any guidance?

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
married members are only held hostage for a few days. after that, they can go home at the end of the day/ after evening chow.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I've heard a handful of different answers to the NSI liberty question. Some say all students, including married members who live off base, will be locked down for the first 6 weeks with "A" school like liberty policies. However, others say after the first couple of days married members are authorized off base liberty after the conclusion of the days events. Any guidance?

It seems like each class had a bit different liberty experience while up there. They posted a plan for us and threatened if we screwed up then it would be painful and prolonged until we got out. I think they also dangled the carrot in front saying we may get it early but in the end if my memory serves me correctly we went on liberty when the posted schedule allotted which was something like the 6th week.

Stick

pilot
words...but it's not like I'm bringing a TV...more words

There were a few people who got together and bought a TV last year and locked it in the locker during the day. I would recommend that if you do that you put it on the bottom of the locker because it will be shaken a lot to see what falls out. Use the latches on the doors of the locker or you will be sorry. And if you do buy a TV get it from the NEX and keep your receipt so you can return it like they did.

OC/EMC

married members are only held hostage for a few days. after that, they can go home at the end of the day/ after evening chow.

That may have been the case for the second NSI class, but I don't think anyone in the first class had family there, nor were they allowed to leave at night. I could have been mistaken, though.

The Liberty policy is about the same as the one from the NSI website. You'll have an LT. in charge of you who will dictate it. I think we were stuck in the King Hall for the first two weeks, and on base until St. Patty's day weekend last year. That weekend we marched in the Newport parade (in SDB's) and could stay out until Sunday night (so long as we were in our SDB's). After that, Friday afternoon until Sunday night was all out liberty until graduation in April.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
i guess you guys will find out soon enough! bwahahahaha. have fun. and remember, just play the game.