• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-10 article

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, those 4 up jets (2 of which have radars) and 10 hours of flight quarters are totally going to defend the ARG.

Sorry, I'm not trying to pick a fight, the whole concept is just a little ridiculous.

Back in the days of an LPH, it was called EDATF. No Harriers so it was done by Cobras with Sidewinders. I told that to a Hornet guy who collapsed with spontaneous laughter.

I wouldn't laugh. The Air Force found that out the hard way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-CATCH

"the helicopters proved extremely dangerous to the fighters when they were properly employed, racking up a 5-to-1 kill ratio over the fighters. The lesson was that fixed-wing aircraft should not attack helicopters except at long range and/or high altitudes"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

"the helicopters proved extremely dangerous to the fighters when they were properly employed, racking up a 5-to-1 kill ratio over the fighters. The lesson was that fixed-wing aircraft should not attack helicopters except at long range and/or high altitudes"

I'm quite curious to know what the ROE of the exercise was. Interesting they used only guns, at best the jets themselves would provide only a fleeting target to the helos especially armed only with guns. The whole thing seems a bit 'off' to me without knowing the whole details.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Back in the days of an LPH, it was called EDATF. No Harriers so it was done by Cobras with Sidewinders. I told that to a Hornet guy who collapsed with spontaneous laughter.

About as useful as putting the LAAD guys on the deck with their stingers.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

I would laugh. That's a ridiculous study. I would be more afraid of flying right over the top of a ZPU-2 at 1000' than a Hind or Cobra (without AIM-9). All that study proves is that fixed wing aircraft on a predictable flight path flying low over a gun system (whether mounted on a helicopter or sitting on the ground) can get shot down. Furthermore, why would the enemy use a helicopter, when for the same price you can have many more ZPUs mounted in Hilux trucks and teams carrying SA-14s roaming around the area?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Comparing the Harrier to an A-10 isn't a very good comparison since the Harrier is much closer in performance to a Hornet than it is to an A-10.

Eh. Yes in thrust to weight and acceleration. Neither of you guys were built for Air to Air. A-10s can rate around a circle really well- the whole straight wing and low wing loading allows them to be really good low speed turners and gives them fairly decent nose authority- nothing compared to the alpha control of the Hornet though.

I also think you over simplified what a DCA vul entails. It's a lot more than running a couple of timelines. My last air to air flight in the hornet RAG was a 4vx with multiple groups across multiple altitudes and airspeeds. My lead was on his Div Lead upgrade and was pretty tak saturated. When they only have to get one guy by you to win the stakes are fairly high. 4/0/2 and gun sometimes wasn't enough. I can't imagine trying that 2/0/0 and gun, and in a jet not built for that environment.

IMHO everyone should be wearing JHMCS and carrying 9X's if for nothing else than the defensive capability. The AF is even looking to put them on Reapers just for that.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMHO everyone should be wearing JHMCS and carrying 9X's if for nothing else than the defensive capability. The AF is even looking to put them on Reapers just for that.
I know it's not what you meant, but I now have the image in my head of a guy in a trailer in Creech wearing the helmet for no reason.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Eh. Yes in thrust to weight and acceleration. Neither of you guys were built for Air to Air. A-10s can rate around a circle really well- the whole straight wing and low wing loading allows them to be really good low speed turners and gives them fairly decent nose authority- nothing compared to the alpha control of the Hornet though.

I also think you over simplified what a DCA vul entails. It's a lot more than running a couple of timelines. My last air to air flight in the hornet RAG was a 4vx with multiple groups across multiple altitudes and airspeeds. My lead was on his Div Lead upgrade and was pretty tak saturated. When they only have to get one guy by you to win the stakes are fairly high. 4/0/2 and gun sometimes wasn't enough. I can't imagine trying that 2/0/0 and gun, and in a jet not built for that environment.

The A-10 rating around doesn't have much to do with shooting an AMRAAM. What kind of shot range you think they would have screaming along at 15k at .5 IMN?

I know what DCA is. If you think doing it in a section each with two AMRAAM, two AIM-9M's, and a gun sounds bad, how does it sound without the AMRAAM?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I know what DCA is. If you think doing it in a section each with two AMRAAM, two AIM-9M's, and a gun sounds bad, how does it sound without the AMRAAM?

If that's what you're counting on to defend the ship, I'd recommend taking the time to make yourself a nice sandwich, find a comfortable lifeboat, and start rowing towards the nearest friendly shores.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If that's what you're counting on to defend the ship, I'd recommend taking the time to make yourself a nice sandwich, find a comfortable lifeboat, and start rowing towards the nearest friendly shores.
Yeah you're right. Fuck it. They shouldn't even leave port.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So you're saying the AF wants to put helmets on UAVs.

Shenanigans.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

People may knock the Harrier dudes for carrying AMRAAM and Cobra dudes for carrying AIM-9s trying to execute DATF, but what's the alternative?
You think I like carrying a fucking AIM-9 on my wing stub and drilling boring ass circles in the sky? ACM isn't my thing, and nor is it really a Harrier's ballgame, but in the absence of anything else, I've seen the DoN waste money on more dumb stuff than that. It's a bit melodramatic to think there is not a benefit to having a couple radar capable Harriers and Cobras for a deterrent.