• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

98 rounds in one minute?!?

phrogpilot73

Sorry to question a police chief's intelligence - but I call bullshit. 98 rounds in a minute? That's 6 magazines of 9mm and 1 magazine of .45, with 5 magazine changes and one weapon change. Again, bullshit. Of course, CNN wants it to sound worse than it does (and it is a NY police chief, so he probably does too). Of course, the public doesn't know any better.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/08/ny.shooting/index.html

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
I'm on the fence on this one because I know an hour at the pistol range feels like ten minutes. He only nabbed 13 people. To fire 98 rounds would be to miss a lot, I think. So maybe he emptied his magazines willy-nilly and managed to ding a few? Or -- and this is the more grisly route -- maybe he fired rapidly into those who were already downed?

Maybe this is just one of those stranger-than-fiction things. It's interesting to wonder where they got the exact time from.

phrogpilot73

That's a round and a half every second. Probably closer to two if you include the magazine change. I still don't buy it, unless he was just pulling the trigger as fast as he humanly could, without worry about aiming. Just spray and pray...

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Agree. Pretty unlikely. Don't know why the time frame is that important to the story though. Just over a minute or 3 minutes. The damage done is the same.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
No way. That being said I've seen someone bump fire a full mag in a 1911 in about a second, but I highly doubt he was bump firing at people... Or that he'd hit anyone if he was... I agree with the above statement that it really doesn't add anything to the story. Some will probably use it as grounds for a high cap mag ban, but that would be a pretty week argument considering this piece of shit did several mag changes anyway.

Bevo16

pilot
^^^^the Libs never let facts get in the way of their efforts to try and get your guns.