• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9/9/9/61 - Percentile for Resume?

zachw

Can anyone give me an overall percentile estimate for this score? I took the test back in 2010.

Long story short- I went to OCS this February, NPQ'd for commissioning based on a back issue I didn't know about. I'd like to have a percentile score to throw on my resume, because no one in the non-naval aviator world has any idea what this score represents.

I appreciate the help!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I don't know that that would make any difference on your resume or that any non-aviator (or aviator for that matter) would care.

ASTB scores have no bearing on how you would have done actually in the aircraft.. Its a metric used to make a selection process selective.

Whatever job you're writing a resume for, tailor it for that job and don't worry about including your ASTB scores. It's fluff. Unless you are applying for a civilian aviation job, then I could see where it could be helpful... but I don't know, and I'll let those more in the know comment.

As said, ASTB score are probably just fluff.

zachw

Good points, but I disagree with some of it. Context matters. There's a gap on my resume or cover letter that wouldn't make sense without explaining what I was doing (OCS and time leading up to OCS). I have a job, but I may be applying for another where any academic performance is pretty important.

Yes, the test has nothing to do with how well I fly- but what does that matter? In fact, it's a good thing. My ASTB isn't its own bullet. It would be in a statement, "...97th percentile on Officer Candidate School admission test and highest possible interview scores..." or along those lines. If someone took the LSAT and scored 99th percentile it wouldn't be unheard of to include it on their resume for a few years, even if they didn't go to law school.

KBayDog

Took me less time to Google it than it took you to write your last post. Please don't include research abilities in your resume...

http://www.usnavy.vt.edu/documents/astboverview.pdf

Misc-OhSnap.jpg

jtmedli

pilot
I think the point here is that a 'percentile score' isn't really available and anyone who gives you one is probably wrong anyways. If you want to include it on there, then just say that you scored the highest possible score (or 9/9 or something like that) in each category of the Navy's Accession Exam and leave it at that. Dont worry about the whole OAR thing. The employer isn't know dick about what that means anyways.

zachw

I think the point here is that a 'percentile score' isn't really available and anyone who gives you one is probably wrong anyways. If you want to include it on there, then just say that you scored the highest possible score (or 9/9 or something like that) in each category of the Navy's Accession Exam and leave it at that. Dont worry about the whole OAR thing. The employer isn't know dick about what that means anyways.

That's what I needed to know- it doesn't exist. And good advice, thanks.

exNavyOffRec

I happened to get a phone call from a buddy of mine that works in the engineering industry, he is in HR and does quite a bit of hiring, I saw this thread before he called so asked him what he thought, he said don't put it in there, just fluff, people don't put SAT or ACT scores either, his exact words below.

"if this persons resume is so bare he has to resort to putting things like officer apptitude scores or SAT/ACT scores he better take the first job he is offered"

I can tell you of the THOUSANDS or resumes I have reviewed almost none had any type of test scores listed.

zachw

"if this persons resume is so bare he has to resort to putting things like officer apptitude scores or SAT/ACT scores he better take the first job he is offered"

I can tell you of the THOUSANDS or resumes I have reviewed almost none had any type of test scores listed.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here. Like I said, I have a job (if we're splitting hairs, not my only offer) and I'm considering a move from my current good one to a different industry. HR at a few of the firms asks for any test scores I've taken. Fluff or not, they give a crap about scores- and my contacts other than recruiters where I'm applying agree.

exNavyOffRec

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here. Like I said, I have a job (if we're splitting hairs, not my only offer) and I'm considering a move from my current good one to a different industry. HR at a few of the firms asks for any test scores I've taken. Fluff or not, they give a crap about scores- and my contacts other than recruiters where I'm applying agree.

Not trying to, just passing on info from a person that is in charge of HR of a major company, he is very blunt, most of the time a person applying to a job would not even talk to him unless they get past all the low level guys so the resumes he sees are the ones that have been through many cuts already.

I have also spent quite a bit of time with corporate recruiters as all we do before, during, and after career fairs is talk (and boy do they talk about candidates) and not a single one would say "where are the SAT's or other scores" what they do look at is GPA for a person with a recent degree, not so much as the level, but lack of a GPA is a red flag as it is low, and if you haven't noticed many of the companies now that have online applications do not give an option for test scores of any type, what they do have though is a spot for GPA, and the program will not let you progress without filling it in, given that you went to OCS I would venture that you do have a decent GPA.

MasterBates

I would circular file a resume with ASTB scores. They mean jack and shit outside trying to get a slot.

There is fluff, like putting down that you were the president of the honor society, and there is 'I just don't have anything else to go with' which implies a weak resume.

GRE or LSAT scores may be relevant depending on field.. But not ASTB.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2