• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8mm mauser info

h4l.134

Hi, I had a question about the 8mm mauser. I don't know much about them other than they are similar to .308 and the odd6, I have recently came across one that was restocked and say's in german -gew98 on the barrel. can anyone give me some more info, any help is much welcomed.Thanks

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
me thinks that round may be more like the 30-06 than the 308 but other than that I got nothing

BlkPny

pilot
Hi, I had a question about the 8mm mauser. I don't know much about them other than they are similar to .308 and the odd6, I have recently came across one that was restocked and say's in german -gew98 on the barrel. can anyone give me some more info, any help is much welcomed.Thanks
The receiver will have more information on it. It will have the year of manufacture stamped on the front receiver ring, and it will have which manufacturer produced it on the left side rail. Certain makers produced slightly higher quality actions than others. The best ones were Mauser Werke (BYF), Brno, and DWM. Others were also good, but not quite as desirable.
Also, check to see if its a small-ring or a large-ring. If the front receiver ring is larger than the side rails, its a large-ring. Yours is probably a small-ring. A little bit lighter, different barrel threads.
If it was produced late in WWII (44-45), I'd be very leery of shooting it, since the quality of the steel and the fit and finish was not very good. Earlier ones are usually very good quality.

h4l.134

Ok a lil more info on the 8mm. it is stamped with simso on top(date is covered by a scope),with letters bkf on side that have crowns above them. model number starts with 6 and has an lowercase a under

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
For a while I had a Chilean Mauser that I had found in a dumpster. 8mm Mauser was surprisingly easy to come by, not horribly expensive, but really effing loud.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
For a while I had a Chilean Mauser that I had found in a dumpster. 8mm Mauser was surprisingly easy to come by, not horribly expensive, but really effing loud.

I bet the blood stains came out really easy also!

I bought a Turkish Mauser as my first rifle in college. The stock was pretty beat up but the rest was in surprisingly good condition. After stripping down the wood and re-staining it turned out pretty good. It's not exactly a sniper rifle but it isn't shooting with sewer pipe either.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, we called it the Murder Gun, because, well, why else would anyone just throw away a perfectly good gun? Thinking back on it, it probably was not helpful to my development to grow up next to the town garbage dump. . .

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
. I don't know much about them other than they are similar to .308 and the odd6, I have recently came across one that was restocked and say's in german -gew98 on the barrel. can anyone give me some more info, any help is much welcomed.Thanks

First what I think you are referring to is .30-06 which is often spelled 'ot' and pronounced 'aught'. 'Aught' being a more formal word meaning 'zero'. Named such because it was a 30 caliber round introduced with the Springfield bolt action rifle in 1906, or 'aught 6'

Second Gew98 refers to 'Gewehr 98' which was the official name of the 'Mauser'. The markings you described reflect the arsenal in which it was manufactured. You might need to dig a little deeper because it sounds like you are describing two unique arsenals which conflict with one another. 'Simso' might refer to 'Simson and Co' which manufactured Gew98s dating back to the Great War. The issue arises with the fact that the Simson and Company didn't mark (to my knowledge) their receivers with the crown symbol, as that was reserved for the 4 government owned arsenals.

h4l.134

First what I think you are referring to is .30-06 which is often spelled 'ot' and pronounced 'aught'. 'Aught' being a more formal word meaning 'zero'. Named such because it was a 30 caliber round introduced with the Springfield bolt action rifle in 1906, or 'aught 6'

Second Gew98 refers to 'Gewehr 98' which was the official name of the 'Mauser'. The markings you described reflect the arsenal in which it was manufactured. You might need to dig a little deeper because it sounds like you are describing two unique arsenals which conflict with one another. 'Simso' might refer to 'Simson and Co' which manufactured Gew98s dating back to the Great War. The issue arises with the fact that the Simson and Company didn't mark (to my knowledge) their receivers with the crown symbol, as that was reserved for the 4 government owned arsenals.
Hmm interesting thanks for the help. I have a serial# 3 numbers 1st is a 6 and the letter following is a "b". yea the crown markings in the receiver threw me off in the search but there are three of them and the letters below look like a "b,k,and f or y. Any ideas?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
the 8mm mauser round is somewhere in the middle of .308 and .30-06. yes, they are very loud. next to 7.62x54r it's probably the cheapest ammo you'll find out there in surplus form. personally i don't prefer surplus ammo as it can be unreliable at times. the best thing to do with it is buy either the greek, czech, or korean surplus, take the stripper clip, save it, then pull the bullet. the bullets are good as long as their boat tails, usually steel core(some ranges don't allow steel core) but it's rare that anyone actually stores the ammo in the spam cans they came in, so the primers stop being very effective. you can not punch the pimer out and reload the case even though it's brass, it's berdan primed, i'm sorry, you're just going to have to take the brass cases to the range with you and deposit them there never to be seen again. the powder isn't worth keeping either. once you have all the bullets pulled weigh them and reload them accordingly, bear in mind they will all be different weights. you can buy a bag of new brass cases from winchester or any of the other components suppliers. you'll end up paying around 50 cents a case, or you can buy new ammo (prvi partisan is good and cheap), shoot it, yay, then reload it. then you pay around 70 cents per round and can reuse the case. when you run out of the surplus ammo you can use new bullets, i prefer sierra. .323 is the size you want(slug your barrel first to make sure), usually runs about 35 bucks for a box of 100. then you will have a tack driver of a rifle and match grade ammo for around 50 cents a round after you factor in powder and primer.

not sure if you wanted to know all that or just more about your rifle. i'm using my buddy's login as i'm not on air warrior but i love suplus weaponry and my friend thought i could help.

so many countries produced mausers and they don't exactly have the same following that mosins do so the amount of tribal knowledge and topic devoted websites if kind of lacking. hang on to it, in a couple years surplus rifles are going to be hard to come by and they last forever.

h4l.134

the 8mm mauser round is somewhere in the middle of .308 and .30-06. yes, they are very loud. next to 7.62x54r it's probably the cheapest ammo you'll find out there in surplus form. personally i don't prefer surplus ammo as it can be unreliable at times. the best thing to do with it is buy either the greek, czech, or korean surplus, take the stripper clip, save it, then pull the bullet. the bullets are good as long as their boat tails, usually steel core(some ranges don't allow steel core) but it's rare that anyone actually stores the ammo in the spam cans they came in, so the primers stop being very effective. you can not punch the pimer out and reload the case even though it's brass, it's berdan primed, i'm sorry, you're just going to have to take the brass cases to the range with you and deposit them there never to be seen again. the powder isn't worth keeping either. once you have all the bullets pulled weigh them and reload them accordingly, bear in mind they will all be different weights. you can buy a bag of new brass cases from winchester or any of the other components suppliers. you'll end up paying around 50 cents a case, or you can buy new ammo (prvi partisan is good and cheap), shoot it, yay, then reload it. then you pay around 70 cents per round and can reuse the case. when you run out of the surplus ammo you can use new bullets, i prefer sierra. .323 is the size you want(slug your barrel first to make sure), usually runs about 35 bucks for a box of 100. then you will have a tack driver of a rifle and match grade ammo for around 50 cents a round after you factor in powder and primer.

not sure if you wanted to know all that or just more about your rifle. i'm using my buddy's login as i'm not on air warrior but i love suplus weaponry and my friend thought i could help.

so many countries produced mausers and they don't exactly have the same following that mosins do so the amount of tribal knowledge and topic devoted websites if kind of lacking. hang on to it, in a couple years surplus rifles are going to be hard to come by and they last forever.
Cool thanks for the helpful info. If your friend could help with it, the rifle is stamped with simson&co on top of the receiver and on the right side there are 3 crowns with a letter under each

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
the 8mm mauser round is somewhere in the middle of .308 and .30-06. yes, they are very loud. next to 7.62x54r it's probably the cheapest ammo you'll find out there in surplus form. personally i don't prefer surplus ammo as it can be unreliable at times. the best thing to do with it is buy either the greek, czech, or korean surplus, take the stripper clip, save it, then pull the bullet.

Or you could stack the ammo deep in the container it came in and shoot the hell out of it, leaving the 2-3 rounds per thousand that don't shoot (if that many) at the range with the berdan brass.

Pour a pot of boiling water down the bore, brush the bolt off with bore cleaner. Re-lube, fire and repeat........ Surplus rifles and surplus corrosive ammo where designed to work together.