• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8 year commitment tango

DRC83

Hello everybody...new time poster, longtime lurker around here.

Just wanted to get a feel for some of the guys that are thinking of punching out after 8 and are finishing up their 1st shore tour. Now that the full swing of 8 year commitment aviators have swarmed the detailers offices starting a year ago or so, all these guys with a year and change are seemingly playing all kinds of crazy games with the detailers. Now that everyone is forced to pick up something by default, the typical Shooter/ANAV billets are having to be held for guys who pinky swear they are going to stay in for the long haul. But I don't know of many guys who are going to take one for the team by taking some DESRON or TAO tour just becaue they are getting out.

I've got a ways to go...but it's impossible not the see the writing on the wall. I'm about 95% sure I'm getting out and looking at the airlines. Airlines like to hire guys who are current...and timing is everything, especially with the new hiring waves coming up here in the near future.

My shore tour PRD gives me 1 year and 5 months until I can punch (FEB15 and JUL16 respectively) I could probably extend 3 months or so...but either way, depending on how idealistic the detailer is, I'm on the hook for another set or orders and he'll want me to have boots in the sand or a big frowny face on a boat somewhere doing a frowny face job.

I am heavily considering giving an FTS package a go and be eligible to apply for the Fall Board in 14 being two years eligible out...but that's only IF my detailer/community will release. The big downside is that it would extend me past my original MSR timeframe of getting out...but it keeps my flying and current, making this the best option. Of course the cat has been out of the bag for sometime now, and everyone and their mom seems to apply for FTS these days...so who knows

If that doesn't fall through, I'll have to say the cliche saying that I want flying orders and join the long list of aviators will be looking to pick up C-12 orders in Bahrain. Might as well buy a Powerball ticket.

And ultimately if the Navy laughs at both of those options (highly likely), and barring a miracle to let guys simply get out after their shore tour, I'll have to suck it up for a year doing the frowny face-non flying job, drop my letter, and hope a SELRES spot will open up and I can resume flying until I get called up to the Show. Making it sound easier than it should.

And naturally all the rules might change in a couple years anyway. Anyone else playing a similar game of aviation roulette?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Whether you want to make it public or not, knowing your community helps/matters. I'm guessing (based off your mention of the airlines) that you're not a helo guy, but there's often some decent FTS options on the helo side, especially if you're competitive (and not a douche).

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
But I don't know of many guys who are going to take one for the team by taking some DESRON or TAO tour just becaue they are getting out.
On the helo side, there are lots of folks that are looking at or actually currently doing just that in lieu of getting sent somewhere super duper shitty.
I am heavily considering giving an FTS package a go and be eligible to apply for the Fall Board in 14 being two years eligible out...but that's only IF my detailer/community will release.
HSC and VFA have zero out quotas for the foreseeable future, according to PERS 43. Of course, there's that caveat that says the board will consider people on a case-by-case basis for waivers of this...
If that doesn't fall through, I'll have to say the cliche saying that I want flying orders and join the long list of aviators will be looking to pick up C-12 orders in Bahrain. Might as well buy a Powerball ticket.
Last person I know to pick up C-12 orders got them out of NPS as their shore tour. Off of an "interesting" helo sea tour.
And naturally all the rules might change in a couple years anyway. Anyone else playing a similar game of aviation roulette?
It's all way, way up in the air these days.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While you may think that all sea duty is the same, they are not created equally. For example, CDS-7 would be an awesome deal right now. CDS-31? ESG is another option...

-ea6bflyr ;)

DRC83

Whether you want to make it public or not, knowing your community helps/matters. I'm guessing (based off your mention of the airlines) that you're not a helo guy, but there's often some decent FTS options on the helo side, especially if you're competitive (and not a douche).

Yeah forgot to mention that in my rambling. Tacamo and now c26 metro liner guy.

STLEngineer

pilot
I thought those timelines matched up too well to mine!

Definitely have the same thoughts on my mind, but luckily we'll have the next few years of shore tour to figure it out. I'm hearing there is a glut of people, as you said, getting to the boat, but I hope they can get the wrinkles out of the system over the next 2.5 years. If there are less desert jobs, then something's got to give in terms of manning. Seems like FTS is pretty competitive these days, but a guy who was my first AC picked it up on the last board. TACAMO guys are getting it but he did fly his ass off in the VTs to get it. I have no idea about VRs, though.

Aloha

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor threadjack. Where does a Navy guy get to fly C-26's? Guess I missed something a ways back.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought those timelines matched up too well to mine!

Definitely have the same thoughts on my mind, but luckily we'll have the next few years of shore tour to figure it out. I'm hearing there is a glut of people, as you said, getting to the boat, but I hope they can get the wrinkles out of the system over the next 2.5 years. If there are less desert jobs, then something's got to give in terms of manning. Seems like FTS is pretty competitive these days, but a guy who was my first AC picked it up on the last board. TACAMO guys are getting it but he did fly his ass off in the VTs to get it. I have no idea about VRs, though.

Aloha

FTS isn't quite that cut and dry. Flying a ton of hours isn't the magic ticket to pick it up. There's several things that can help (timing being a big one). As for communities not letting their people go...if you drop your letter, you're no longer considered in the community anymore and in a different pool of applicants.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are also C-26's out of NAS Sigonella doing executive transport and civilian/contract Metroliners out of Pt Mugu doing air shuttle to and from China Lake that Navy guys used to (still?) fly and were often referred to by those guys as C-26s. We had pilots from VQ-1 go to both relatively often.
Ugh, never knew. I thought they were only National Guard. Can't imagine why they would go with a Metroliner when King Air variations were already so prevalent in all the services.