• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8 YCS Retirement for Priors until Dec, 2008

twidget

Deskaholic
Defense bill alters rules of retirement
Higher limits set on ‘frocking’

By Rick Maze
Times staff writer

Tucked into the 2006 defense authorization bill passed by Congress before Christmas are several personnel policy changes affecting military careers.
One change will allow 4 percent of O-5s and O-6s in the Air Force and Navy to retire in their current paygrade with just two years in grade, while everyone else will have to serve three years after a promotion. Navy and Air Force requirements were relaxed because those services are cutting people, while the Army and Marine Corps are adding people.

The bill, HR 1815, also continues the reduction in the amount of time an officer with prior enlisted service must serve before retiring as an officer. Until Dec. 31, 2008, a prior enlisted member needs just eight years of commissioned service to retire as an officer, rather than the 10 years required under permanent law.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
twidget said:
Until Dec. 31, 2008, a prior enlisted member needs just eight years of commissioned service to retire as an officer, rather than the 10 years required under permanent law.
For this case, what constiutes "prior enlisted?"

twidget

Deskaholic
OK, some clarification is necessary I suppose. This would apply for individuals with 8 Years Commissioned Service, combined with at least 12 years of prior enlisted service. Thus, allowing them to retire at the minimum 20 years.

There's still been no change to the mandatory 20 year retirement, but maybe that's coming too?

edit: Eddie, I just checked your profile to see where you're coming from...this won't affect you for 20+ years!? ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think Eddie was asking about how "long" you had to be a prior, one day or 10 years, etc.?
I think it is if you qualify for O-1E pay, whatever the time requirement for that is.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
HH-60H said:
I think Eddie was asking about how "long" you had to be a prior, one day or 10 years, etc.?
I think it is if you qualify for O-1E pay, whatever the time requirement for that is.
HH-60 said what I meant...

It sounded to me like someone could "scam" the system; get a degree, enlist, then apply and get accpeted into OCS and retire with pension after a mere eight years in the service! I assumed this could not be the case, and was curious as to the "real deal." Thanks.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This does not reduce or change the overall number of years of service to retire.

It is probably more geared to the LDO community than to someone that left active duty from an enlisted status and than reentered actice duty as an officer.

LDOs maintain a permanent enlisted rank while serving as an officer until a specific number of years of commissioned service (and I believe the magic number is 10) or until they make O-4, whichever comes first. During this period they can revert to enlisted status whenever they choose or if there is a RIF that effects them. Likewise, they have to serve a minimum of 10 (8 if this bill passes) as an officer or they retire at their permanent enlisted rank. For example, a 14 year Chief/E-7 that picks up LDO can retire at 20 years as an enlisted man or wait until 24 years if he wants to retire as an officer.

The LDOs used to get bumps in their enlisted ranks as they got promoted in the officer ranks. ENS were automatically E-7s, LTJGs were E-8s and LTs were E-9s. I knew a couple of LDO LTs that said f'it, and went back to Master Chief and retired. The pay was pretty close. I also knew one LDO LT that decided he was happier as an enlisted guy and reverted to Master Chief and then served another 6 years on active duty before retiring with 30 years of duty.