• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8 July 2006

D

dawkman

Final Select SNA

Hey guys I am also a final select SNA for 8 July 2006. I am also driving my car to Pensacola. Does anyone know if we are allowed to keep cell phones in our cars?

Kycntryboy

pilot
Rearden said:
Why the confused look? The processor just emailed me and told me she was sending them to me. I didn't know that was uncommon.

Confused look is that I didn't know when they planned on sending them to me, does anybody know what classifies a set of orders as "official or original" and the others as copies, my question is that in my DEP book and the OCS website say to bring your original set of orders and five copies.

joeflys

In a packet of information my recruiter gave me there was an unofficial guide to ocs that one of the recent ensigns put together. In his tips section he says to keep a cell phone in your car. This is what I plan on doing since I will be driving to pensacola. I plan on probably being down there on Friday.

flygal22

I'm definately driving. That said, I'm going to need my cell during the drive so I plan on leaving it in the car.

Still awaiting my Final select paperwork. The recruiter said we should have it next week. Just waiting on the ESPQ and it should be done by then.

kilikopela

pilot
Count me in for this class! Just got orders yesterday and it sounds like I'll be flying in from California late on the 8th. I'm going in as SNFO (NPQ'd for NA :indiffere). Good to see we have a bunch of aviation kids in the class! Anybody know our class number yet? Hope to meet up with you guys Sat. night!

kilikopela

pilot
Thanks flygal...I got that number too. Has that been verified? So what's the gouge on bringing personal stuff like address books? extra shoes for inspection? etc. stuff to make life easier? What have you guys heard from previous classes?

flygal22

Kilikopela- I've been told by kycountry that we are 19-06, I have not been given that by my recruiter because I'm still waiting on my findocs :(

I was told to bring a second pair of running shoes, brand new, and they can be different than what you run in - for inspections. Someone has also suggested a head lamp, and small flashlight.

Is everybody packing the stuff they want after OCS in their car? Or leaving it home?

pdx

HSM Pilot
flygal22 said:
I was told to bring a second pair of running shoes, brand new, and they can be different than what you run in - for inspections. Someone has also suggested a head lamp, and small flashlight.

Not really necessary. You will want a second pair of shoes for inspection, but your drill instructor might require that they be Miss Judy shoes. In any case, you can buy them from her. A light is definitely a good idea, I thought it was on the requried list.

flygal22 said:
Is everybody packing the stuff they want after OCS in their car? Or leaving it home?

PACK IT! Even if your recruiter told you that you could return home after OCS, that is not always the case. Only people who have an official prior duty station will be authorized any kind of personal goods shipment. That generally means only BDCP and priors coming directly from the fleet. Some recruiters (like mine) did not understand this rule, but the people in the Personal Property Office made it very clear. No shipment of goods is authorized until new service members (officer or enlisted) arrive at their first pemanent duty station. API is not a permanent duty station (regardless of how long your there), so there is no guaranteed chance to get your stuff until you get official orders to primary.

Here is my story. I came from Portland, OR and reported to OCS in Feb 05. My recruiter told me that I could either drive or fly to p'cola, either way, the Navy would pay my travel costs (true). She also told me that during OCS, I could set up a PCS move to Pensacola so my things would be there when I commissioned or shortly after (false). Also, she said that I could do O-HARP duty between OCS and API (partially true).

At OCS, I found out that I would not be allowed a move, and I would not be allowed the 500 lbs personal goods shipment for TDY orders. Also, my timetable did not fit with being able to do O-HARP, so I did not have any chance to return home before API. I didn't have clothes, or dishes, or anything except the one change of civvies I brought with me to OCS (I packed light). More importantly I didn't have my car. I considered just living in the BOQ, but that was not possible. Fortunately, I was able to find a roommate that had pretty much everything.

The moral of the story is to drive to pensacola (even if it is 3000 miles) and bring as much of your stuff as you can fit. If you get stuck in A-pool for a while, you could be waiting for many months before you recieve permanent duty station orders.

flygal22

PDX - thanks for the tips! I was unsure if we would have time or not to get our stuff. I'll definately pack everything for sure. (Except the cat, she's just gonna have to wait :) )

Aakirus

I'll be joining ya'll for the 08Jul class. I'll be in town Sat. night so keep me informed if we want to get together for dinner. Look forward to meeting you all.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Kycntryboy - my processor sent me 6 copies of my orders and the only discernible difference between them was that one had "Original" stamped on it. So, that's really the only difference, I think. She said you need to submit the original one to get reimbursed for your travel expenses.

cast-n-blast

I Almost had an 8 July class date until they saw my 1 Aug. date available. Good thing, cause I have much too do. I hope that pushing my date back doesn't affect mission quotas too much. Does anyone know if they met the mission for pilot, FY 06?, because I think they might be a few FO's short. Anyway, now I'm looking at Aug 19th. :)