• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8,8,7 65 OAR from an original 6,7,7 54 OAR - What I did to practice

I used some of what I found on these threads, so I wanted to pass some info along.

First, in my schools detachment there has been a trend where people's score increase from the old ASTB to this new ASTB. So if you're thinking of retaking the new one, and you have only taken the old one, maybe that'll give you some confidence.

Now, what did I use to study. There was a study guide from this website, I have uploaded it again on this thread. This study guide was helpful because it made me practice doing math on paper, quick thinking, and analytical thinking (the mechanical portion of the test). However, the questions on my ASTB were not very similar to what was on this study guide, so don't try to memorize answers expecting to see the same exact question on the test.

Also, the new ASTB is adaptive - the better you do on questions, the harder they get.

I used this book that I bought from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0989818888/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, not that it had exact questions from the test but it helps familiarize you with good aviation knowledge and practicing those quick thinking math skills and mechanical understandings.

I am also uploading a second file that I got from this forum, it's an older ASTB practice test.

I studied roughly 20 hours before taking the test, spread out about 5 hours/day. I did every practice test in the book from Amazon, usually more than once, and I always wrote my answers on separate paper so that I could go back and do them again without seeing my old answers.

I also used a friend's ASTB practice book, but it was made for the older ASTB.

I did a lot of studying with a friend who took it at the same time as me and also got a great score - 7,7,7 OAR 62 (maybe 63, I forget now). We would quiz each other on random questions from different sections.

I know this may not be the most helpful thread on here, but maybe it'll help someone out. I guess if there was one recommendation I had for you, it's to study a lot. Every time I wanted to hang out with friends or play a video game, I just thought about what was more worth it - one night with friends, or attempting to secure a career that I really wanted.

Stay focused, work hard.

Good luck to the rest of you who take the ASTB, and thanks to people on these forums who had asked questions and posted helpful hints/documents before me.

Attachments

• astb study guide.pdf
    384.9 KB · Views: 249
  • ASTBgouge copy.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 247
Last edited:
In the book from Amazon that I posted, I read the Aviation and Mechanical sections to learn some of the information. My usual tactic with the tests was give them a go, then see what I got wrong, understand why they were wrong, then take it again the next day to see how well I retained information.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the book from Amazon that I posted, I read the Aviation and Mechanical sections to learn some of the information. My usual tactic with the tests was give them a go, then see what I got wrong, understand why they were wrong, then take it again the next day to see how well I retained information.
Outstanding thread, Michael - "Doin' what good Shipmates do"!:)
BzB