• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

737 Type Rating from P-8

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
Discussion on another forum got me wondering...

Are P-8 pilots still not able to get signed off for the 737 type rating or has that changed?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Allegedly they were getting type ratings up in OK and one of their own threw them under the bus, thus turning off the easy path to the Show.

This is all second hand, so I’m sure one of you TACASHIPMATES has the real story.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Allegedly they were getting type ratings up in OK and one of their own threw them under the bus, thus turning off the easy path to the Show.

This is all second hand, so I’m sure one of you TACASHIPMATES has the real story.

Students going through the FRS when we had the 737 were getting a type without doing a NATOPS check in it. It was used to get students through an instrument check only. Word got out that guys were doing that and they put the kibosh on it at the wing level (forbade it in the SOP).

I'm really curious how that translates at all to you VPenis folks being unable to get a type rating in a jet you are NATOPS checked in. We are still able to get a type in the 707/720, and the FRS guys who instructed in it all had the type, in fact the Navy paid for them to get it through Higher Power... It was one of the best deals in the Navy.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

AF E-3 dudes get 707 type ratings.

Why would the Navy not do the same?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Yeah, that doesn't make sense, though I've heard the same rumor. Assuming the FAA doesn't have some reason to prevent a P-8 equaling a 737, all you have to do to get a type rating is find a DPE, fill out an IACRA, bring him your NATOPS jacket w/ a NATOPS check (and probably a good idea to have a instrument check), and pay him money.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
P-8 isn’t listed on the faa aircraft registration chart as a mil equivalent to a 737. The C-40 and T-43 are the only listed military equivalents to the 737.

I’ve heard the bobs in naval aviation fought to keep it off since it’s a hybrid airframe and that their guys shouldn’t get the type because retention. No idea if that’s true.

It makes no sense since you can do a type ride in a classic sim and then go operate a Next Gen or max (whenever they fly again) 5 legs the next day, but no one said the faa had to make sense.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That makes a little more sense. The equivelency issue, not the fighting to keep it off issue. I have a hard time believing the latter, just because it doesn't seem like big Navy understands the nuances of the FAA.