• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"72hrs Tonic to Throttle"

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
While cruising through the NOMI website I came across a section about the dangers of tonic water (I never knew). With all the gin & tonic aficionados on here, I thought this would make for a nice little cautionary thread.

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Supplements.pdf

According to NOMI, "Drinking more than three 12oz drinks per day (36 oz total) of tonic water is not authorized." Quinine, apparently, is too good to be true. At one point, the Army even had a "72hr tonic to throttle" rule. This is because the adverse of effects of quinine are very anti-aviator, as it disturbs vision, hearing, and balance. It seems worries about tonic have since subsided, though I reckon I'll play it safe and just make my G&Ts stronger. :D

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
It's actually really bad for your blood and immune system to drink tonic anyway. I know first hand....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's why we dilute it with Gin
Perfect ... :D

I have always had a weakness for genuine Indian Schwepps Tonic H2O ... supposedly made from "real" Indian quinine ... the only time I had it was in East Africa -- maybe it was all in my head (no pun), but it made a G&T the smoothest drink I've ever had in the tropics ...