• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

70th Anniversary of Operation Neptune

jmcquate

Contributor
6,939 vessels: 1,213 warships, 4,126 landing craft of various types, 736 ancillary craft, and 864 merchant vessels. There were 195,700 naval personnel involved................the SWOs earned their pay that day. I can't imagine something of that size.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
6,939 vessels: 1,213 warships, 4,126 landing craft of various types, 736 ancillary craft, and 864 merchant vessels. There were 195,700 naval personnel involved................the SWOs earned their pay that day. I can't imagine something of that size.
When it was OK for a CO to scrape the bottom some, so long as his main battery was on target.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Craig Symonds (former USNA prof) just put out a book about Neptune. Very good read about both the colossal logistics effort of getting that much stuff and people embarked and underway, and about how the landings were conducted. The stuff about the destroyer guys running in to provide fire support at Omaha was hair-raising. He makes a good case that they were what saved the landings on that beach.

I can't imagine something of that size.

that-s-what-she-said.jpg