• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

7 Jan 06

Ryanlbcgm

None
Hey Guys and Girls,

Just curious if any of you will be attending the Jan 7 OCS class with me. I'd love to talk with any future classmates. Look forward to hearing from you.

Ryan O'Laughlin

nmund11

I'll be there... just counting down the days. I'm going as SNA, you? There is another thread around here somewhere another guy started with the same date.

wigs_34

I'll be there with ya'll. Going in as SNA as well...counting down the days as well...little nervous, little excited, little bit of everything. Trying to get in shape beforehand so it won't be THAT bad. What you guys doin for runnin routines? Any suggestions? Where are your guys' background? Just graduating college, where you coming from, BDCP? etc. I'll be graduating from the University of Rhode Island in December with finance degree then heading off to OCS...born and raised in Wisconsin. Swore into BDCP program last October. Guess that is about it for now. Later

talbotta

I am attending the Jan 7th class date as well. I am pumped about going, I can't wait. I currently attend Kansas State University and graduate in December. I have been in the BDCP since June of 2004. I don't know about you guys but I am ready to get the heck out of Kansas. I was born in raised in Oklahoma and South east kansas area. Currently I am a Flight Instructor for the Kansas State Flight Program. For running and conditioning, I lift Weights about every day and have been running anywhere from 2-3 times a week. What else are you all doing for conditioning???? Look forward to hearing from ya. Lata

KSUFLY

pilot
Hey Andy... Keep studying the big three and you'll do alright. I graduate 02 Dec and ready to head to flight school after that. Hope everything's going well in Kansas.

talbotta

OCS experience

Wuz up, Know the big 3 huh, I think I can handle that. I hope everything is going good for you, sounds as though you made it through the toughest first few weeks. You said that you are headed to flight school after that, what kind of time frame are they looking at between OCS and Flight school? Good to hear from you and good luck. Lata

wigs_34

What exactly is the big three? General Sentry orders, chain of command, etc..? I also try to swim once in a while to mix things up and get a different kind of conditioning...helps loosen you up too if your sore. So are you going SNA as well Andy?

talbotta

Yeah, I am going in as SNA, have any of you had any previous flight experience? What are you majors in college?? I beleive that you are correct on the chain of command, General Sentry orders, etc. I try to swim also everyonce in a while. Have any of you completed the Navy Knowledge online courses yet?

treybert1

The more gouge you know before you go into OCS, the better off you'll be when it comes to inspections. General Orders of a Sentry, Chain of Command, and the Rank Structure/Insignia are the major ones to know first off. The more you memorize beforehand, the easier it will be to fit more gouge in when you get there.

KSUFLY

pilot
Chain of Command, General Orders of a Sentry, and the Code of Conduct are the big three that need to be verbatum. Navy and Marine Corps. rank structure are also necessary for the first couple inspections. Andy...I'll try to give you a call this weekend. We've got liberty and the Navy Birthday Ball.

druskin11

I'll be going also with this class. I'll be going for Crypto, well now IW. I'm currently enlisted, so if there is any info you guys need I can probly get the answer or info for you.

Jr KLR

Hey guys, last I heard I have this date too. Can't wait, pretty nervous though. I'm lifting, swimming, and running almost daily. I'm graduating mechanical engineering from Cal Poly. I have the SNA designation too, and I've been in BDCP since May 03. I have my PPL with about 70 hours. I'll start on the online courses and the "big" 3 soon enough.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Advice

Hey all,
First off, congrats on getting accepted to OCS (especially you SNA types). Here are some suggestions I think might be helpful to you:

1. Like everyone said, learning the "Big 3" is good. It's not imperative, but it will help. Don't be afraid if you don't know it all your first day there. You'll get it.

2. GET IN SHAPE! You don't need to be a marathon runner or anything. If you can get to the point where you can consistently do 3 miles in about 24 minutes, or 1.5 miles in about 10 or 11 minutes, you're going to do just fine there.

3. Get good shoes. Remember, most of your running at OCS will be street running. Make sure your shoes are built and cushioned for that (as opposed to track running). It wouldn't hurt to go to a specialty running store before hand and get fitted with the right shoe for your foot. You'll be glad you did. You may even prevent yourself from some pretty painful injuries.

4. Careful what gouge you buy into. There's a lot of bad stuff floating around out there. Knowing everything there is to know about OCS won't necessarily help you get through it. When I was there, there were a lot of people who thought that they had the system pegged, but still didn't make it through. Just take what comes and you'll do fine.

5. Most importantly (and the OCS staff would be really mad to hear this), remember while you're in OCS (especially for the priors) that OCS and the "real Navy" bear only a passing resemblance to each other. You are going to spend 12 weeks yelling and getting yelled at and then never do either one again. Don't get discouraged when you're sitting alone at night thinking how much OCS sucks. It's designed to. Keep your eyes on the prize, get your "butter bar" and life gets a whole lot better, I promise.

There're my ramblings. Take them at face value.

By the way, for the SNA's, if any of you are wondering about life after OCS I just finished primary and will be selecting tomorrow. Feel free to email me any questions you might have. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to get it for you.

KSUFLY

pilot
Only thing I would say different is that the running shoes they have you wear are the ones they issue you. There is no museum gear anymore.