• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

$&#7 Fighter Pilots Don't Say

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
EDIT: Bah, feel free to delete this thread. I searched a couple times to make sure it hadn't been posted. But then I posted this, searched again, and found it multiple times. :(

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
EDIT: Bah, feel free to delete this thread. I searched a couple times to make sure it hadn't been posted. But then I posted this, searched again, and found it multiple times. :(
OMG, it's the 'Chair Force'!:oops: All suited up for their hazardous UAV strike... :eek:

I'll admit, they sure enjoy PLUSH Ready Rooms!;)
BzB

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
OMG, it's the 'Chair Force'!:oops: All suited up for their hazardous UAV strike... :eek:

I'll admit, they sure enjoy PLUSH Ready Rooms!;)
BzB

Since this is an A-10 squadron I'm surprised you didn't say "I think you mean attack pilots" (no such term in the AF!)

Renegade One

None
Bah, feel free to delete this thread. I searched a couple times to make sure it hadn't been posted. But then I posted this, searched again, and found it multiple times.
No worries. Anything worth doing is worth doing multiple times…it's a keeper.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since this is an A-10 squadron I'm surprised you didn't say "I think you mean attack pilots" (no such term in the AF!)
No, since the retirement of the A-6,/A-7s, there's no such term in the Navy either. The Hornet drivers STOLE our A, stuck it behind their VFA (F/A-18X}, then changed Attack to Strike.:(

They tried to obliterate all traces of Attack. They even changed our squadron patch, damn fighter dudes. No justice!:(
VA-146 Patch     Pre-1968.jpg VFA-146 Patch-1.jpg
They now do all the fun bombing/rocketry/strafing/lo nav, but still call themselves Fighter Jocks.:mad:
BzB

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
No, since the retirement of the A-6,/A-7s, there's no such term in the Navy either.

Damn, I knew that somewhere in the back of my head, but having heard the term more recently in the context of the Marines (Lt. Colonel Raible's letter to his pilots on leadership uses the term, which was the first time I'd heard it actually) I had forgotten it wasn't a Navy thing anymore.

jmcquate

Contributor
F-22 is a fighter. Last dedicated fighter before the F-22 was the the F-15C. Sorry R1, but eventually, all models of the Tomcat eventually got bombs strapped on them.

Renegade One

None
Then WTH are they... since they are officially called Strike Fighter Squadrons?;)
BzB, very relaxed:cool:
You're right, of course. Both VA and VF types used to have thicker skins…and could take the friendly bar-room banter. As a simple "Non-Flying Object"…probably time for me to yield the floor on the issue. Everyone's in this together.

Just for the sake of shits and giggles…here's a concept for a 20-30 second video ad that I actually proposed to the JSF MARCOMM-types when I was with LM. The theme was "Lightning CAN Strike Twice!" (A riff on the name "Lightning II" and the Lockheed legacy back to the "original" fork-tailed devil…the P-38). Video shows a pilot and RIO walking out to their Tomcat…first lightning bolt flashes and Tomcat is destroyed/immediately replaced with an F-35C. Second lightning bolt strikes and reduces RIO a pile of smoking cinders, as pilot continue to walk to the new jet.

LM rejected it, of course, but damn, it would have been beautiful...

Then there were my comments about the F-35 assuming the new mantle of "fork-tailed devil"…and F-35 pilots being known as "Devil Drivers"…an unofficial name much like "Viper" or "Warthog". No legs there either...

Ideas? I've got a million of 'em!;)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
No, since the retirement of the A-6,/A-7s, there's no such term in the Navy either. The Hornet drivers STOLE our A, stuck it behind their VFA (F/A-18X}, then changed Attack to Strike.:(

They tried to obliterate all traces of Attack. They even changed our squadron patch, damn fighter dudes. No justice!:(
View attachment 13187 View attachment 13189
They now do all the fun bombing/rocketry/strafing/lo nav, but still call themselves Fighter Jocks.:mad:
BzB

No worries BzB the Marine Corps is keeping the A in Attack at least for a few more years. AV-8B FTW.
Mud Mover.jpg

Last edited:

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Instead of F vs A designations, why don't we just break it down between "those who have contributed to the war in the past 12 years" and "those who haven't" ?

Let the "Fighter Pilots" thump their chests all they want.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No worries BzB the Marine Corps is keeping the A in Attack at least for a few more years. AV-8B FTW.
True that Rocketman, but I miss the:

A-1 Skyraider
A-1H VA-152 USS_Oriskany Vietnam 1966.jpg

A-4 Skyhawk
VA-146 A-4.jpg

A-6 Intruder
VA-196 A-6.png

A-7 Corsair II
VA-146 A-7.jpg

All gone... none forgotten.:( There was no slack... in Light/Medium/Heavy Attack!:)
BzB