• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

7 FEB 2018 Aviation Board

Lionheart

Question: Anyone have any idea what percentage PROREC-Y SNA's make it thru OCS and make it thru to get their wings 2 years later: 2 in 10, 3 in 10, 4 in 10? Would be interesting to know. thx

MemphisBell

pilot
I had the same questions when i was going though. I think in primary the attrition rate was a little over 10% with a lot of those being DOR's. If you put the time in and find study groups, you won't have a problem.

serenaahart

Applied: INTEL(Dec board, prorec No), NFO
Degree: International Studies, Economics
GPA: 3.8
OAR: 59
ASTB 6/5/6
PROREC for NFO: No
LOR's: two professors, one past employer

I'm very disappointed that I didn't get selected. I had previously applied to INTEL back in December and didn't get selected then either. I spoke with my recruiter who said that he was very surprised I couldn't get in. According to him I was an application score of 94. I'm committed to commissioning with the Navy for NFO and so I'm going to get another LOR from a retired O4 in the army and my recruiter is going to revise my package to try and make it look a little better while trying to find 2-3 officers to perform a few interviews with me so we can add that to my package. He tells me there will be another opportunity to apply for NFO in April, so I guess it's going to be more waiting for me. At least it will give me some more time to work out.

I didn't have that much volunteer or leadership experience so I guess that might have brought me down along with my LOR's, but I don't know.

I have to argue that LOR's/Interviews/Leadership must play a role. Your GPA and ASTB were better than mine, and I was selected for SNA. My scores: GPA: 3.11, OAR: 51, ASTB: 6/6/6. BUT, I have a President role in an Aviation non-profit, LOR from former Air Force and Navy pilots, and two interviews: O-5 & O-6. That being said, I know I am female so maybe that played a role in my selection? Either way, you should try for interviews with O-5's and higher. I met mine (within 6 months of submitting my application) through various organizations and they were happy to get lunch a few times and then do a formal interview. If you demonstrate that you're a qualified candidate, they'll be more than happy to do an interview with you.

GOOD LUCK!

mke07

That being said, I know I am female so maybe that played a role in my selection?
Not discreditting your accomplshments, connections, or creddentials, but yupp. This helped. People will say "Selection boards are fair to everyone" and that's not true. Gender and ethnicity play a large role; especially on the last board of the fiscal year.

Aside from this, it is pretty common knowledge a lot of the stuff you listed doesn't matter to the board. Hell, the calculator they use for auto selects doesn't even care about your major, much less who you know and got LORs from. I had a laundry list of leadership and volunteer experience and I guarantee they never got that far into my packet, because they just plugged my scores into a calculator.

Moony0352

Hey everyone! New to the forums just got the call from my recruiter Friday that I have been given a professionally recommended yes to become an SNA. I haven't gotten an OCS date due to graduation in December from college, but I should have my FINSEL as soon as possible! Looking forward to getting to know and meet y'all.
Hey bud, I'm right there with you. Pro-rec SNA but graduation next December!

TimeBandit1775

Aribailo, Looking at historical data NFO is a bit tougher to get than SNA based on ASTB. I think if you had a pair of 7’s or higher you would’ve been selected regardless of your LOR’s. With that being said, Serenaahart makes a good point when she says get senior Naval O’s to interview you. In my 3 years in the Navy one thing I’ve noticed is this: If a high ranking person calls another high ranking person and says “Hey, take this dude. He’s quality” they tend to give you a shot. I see it often. I had two O6’s, an O6 select, and the CO of a base in Japan do my write-ups.

Solon Skarlatos

I have to argue that LOR's/Interviews/Leadership must play a role. Your GPA and ASTB were better than mine, and I was selected for SNA. My scores: GPA: 3.11, OAR: 51, ASTB: 6/6/6. BUT, I have a President role in an Aviation non-profit, LOR from former Air Force and Navy pilots, and two interviews: O-5 & O-6. That being said, I know I am female so maybe that played a role in my selection? Either way, you should try for interviews with O-5's and higher. I met mine (within 6 months of submitting my application) through various organizations and they were happy to get lunch a few times and then do a formal interview. If you demonstrate that you're a qualified candidate, they'll be more than happy to do an interview with you.

GOOD LUCK!
I kinda agree, but I had random LORs (old principal, old employer, and a command sergeant major). Maybe it's just because of my average scores/no waivers/SNA... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

serenaahart

I kinda agree, but I had random LORs (old principal, old employer, and a command sergeant major). Maybe it's just because of my average scores/no waivers/SNA... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah - I agree with all you guys. But there has to be at least SOME impact on final selection from those Interviews and LORs... it can’t soley be based on numbers, because then it wouldn’t make sense why some get selected and others don’t (who have better grades)