• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6 Mar 18 IWC Board

ae1to1830

Per Rufio, here are my stats:
Designator Applied For: 1830
Military Service: 7 Years, Currently Active Duty @ NFDS Blue Angels
Education: B.A. Administrative Leadership, 3.88
OAR: 63
Appraisals: O-6 DOI of NSW, O-5 CO IWTC, O-5 XO IWTC: All 1830's, All 10's, Strong Writeups
LOR's: O-7, O-6, O-6 (Retired), O-5; All pilots

I'm happy to furnish my package or Motivational Statements for anyone interested! Just shoot me a message!

exNavyOffRec

Both are technically STEM but when people see it as BS Psychology (mine was science centered as I had a lot of math and science classes. I got it from a different country) and M Forensic Science, they think it's not hard core. But man, regardless of my background, it feels damn good to be finally in!

They past board members would looks for the tech courses if they did see a "BS" that and your high GPA really gave you a good shot.

App2123

1st board-JUN2017.
- 50 OAR, had a million LORs, no interviews, too long mot sta (whole page).
Detailed physical activities and used APSR space for extra curricular activities.
Applied for CW, Intel, IP. ProRec N.

2nd board-SEP2017
50 OAR; same LORs; SWO O5/Intel O5/ O4 interviews (9,10,8 scores); revised mot sta but still long. Same physical activities and APSR info.
Applied for Intel, IP. ProRec N

3rd board-MAR2018
- Retook OAR, up to 53.
- Trimmed LOR to 2 (Made sure they were the most relevant, highlighted my leadership skills and not the just the typical praises because everyone will be rooting for you, honestly.)
- Kept two O5 interviews, dropped O4 (apparently a score less than 9 negates your app. Can anyone verify?)
- Mot sta is more direct, limited to half the page, 4 paragraphs
- Same physical activities, trimmed extra curricular activities and made it more cohesive. Highlighted the ones that are eye catching and worth remembering.
Applied for CW, Intel. ProRec Y CW.

When I first started this process in Dec 2016, my OR has only been recruiting for 3 weeks. I was initially not confident with my OR because I want a seasoned recruiter, but we gave each other the chance to learn together. (1st test to being an officer, I guess.) I did a bunch of research (airwarriors, thank you!) and shared everything I found with OR.

After 2 rejections, I finally sat down with OR and double checked every box to ensure the right choice was selected. (Keep in mind I threw a bunch of pity parties first prior to opening my mind for major revisions and another shot at rejection. Lol.) Turns out there were a bunch of errors, including my race and degree, that we could have rectified before, esp the part when the processor did not include my masters degree in my app. (I'm talking about the face sheet.) Not my OR's doing but it could've been double checked by all of us, including me. Those details/checkbox you think won't matter actually do. Mistakes happen as this a very routine paperwork task and ORs handle a million candidates with deadlines every week. No one is perfect so be understanding and provide solutions.

For my mot sta, I sought help from grad school librarians, which I should've done in the first place. And that's high caliber, free consultation.

For my interviews, as soon as I got a contact info for the CDRs, I emailed them directly to get an interview, cc'd my OR. One CDR was in Australia so we did it telephonically, the other one is a very busy OIC. Made an appt, waited almost an hour in the office because OIC was in a teleconference. I wanted this so bad if I had to wait the whole day I would've. Patience :)

Long story short (I know. Freaking novel!), learn to work with your OR. Broaden your patience. Reach out to others if needed until you find answers. I messaged a bunch of people here, some responsive, some won't have the time as this site is not attached to their hips. My OR may have been new and it was a blind leading the blind situation but somehow, it worked out. Can't say it'll be the same for everyone, but regardless of the results, you wanna be able to tell yourself that you conducted due diligence in presenting an error free application to the best of your ability. And never play the blame game. I had to endure a bunch of rejections from at least 10 Sheriff offices, FBI, NCIS, and 2x from this board, but here I am. Sometimes, some things are meant to be, while some aren't. Timing is everything. And that's life, as cliched as it sounds.

Anyway, I thought I should share my timeline and some of the hurdles. This whole opening up is new to me because I don't like keyboard confrontation. Hope I don't sound a know it all. Just want to share a different perspective and some valuable tips/resources. Feel free to shoot me a message if you need help. :)

Now, I'm gonna hunt down fellow CW peeps. Please send them my way if you know anyone legit.

Last edited:

Matthew Han

PROREC-Y for IP.
BS Information Systems Management
GPA: 3.7
LOR: 2 0-6s
Interview: O-5, O-4, O-4 all IP officers
Awards: 4 NAMS, 3 FLOCS, 2 time Sailor of the year.
OAR: 56
Active Duty ET1 with 8 years of service
Applied: IP and SWO-IP
28 Years old

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
App2123, I think that will help and encourage a lot of people. In my time here, it always kept me going to see people not giving up.

I will also provide my entire kit to include my motivational statement for anyone to peruse if you'd like to see it, just send me a PM. I want to help in any way I can, like people on here helped me throughout the years.

destin2016

Did not get picked up for this board but I knew it was a long shot considering the DUI is a deal killer 99% of the time. Still anxious to serve and will hopefully get the opportunity whether it is in IWC or another community. Going to keep applying (3rd time is a charm, right?) and strongly consider the reserves. Happy for all that made it!

Applying: IWC/SWO/Anything
Degree: BA International Affairs
GPA: 3.45
OAR: 55
DUI: 2010
LOR: 2 Professors, USN 0-4, Army 0-2, USAF E-9 (even tried emailing the Vice-President/President (emailed/tweeted :D)/State Senator 10+ times lol)

Again, Congrats to all! I can imagine it must feel amazing getting that letter!

Best,
Alan

exNavyOffRec

Did not get picked up for this board but I knew it was a long shot considering the DUI is a deal killer 99% of the time. Still anxious to serve and will hopefully get the opportunity whether it is in IWC or another community. Going to keep applying (3rd time is a charm, right?) and strongly consider the reserves. Happy for all that made it!

Applying: IWC/SWO/Anything
Degree: BA International Affairs
GPA: 3.45
OAR: 55
DUI: 2010
LOR: 2 Professors, USN 0-4, Army 0-2, USAF E-9 (even tried emailing the Vice-President/President (emailed/tweeted :D)/State Senator 10+ times lol)

Again, Congrats to all! I can imagine it must feel amazing getting that letter!

Best,
Alan

How long ago was your DUI?

JessicaS

Did anyone get picked up for CW without the calc abs physics courses? I have calc 1 and physic 1 and 2(alg based).

28, BS in Applied Econ 2.8, M.S in IT 3.5, Security+...currently studying for network+ and ITIL. LoR from President of company, ret e-8(Army), o-4 ret Navy pilot, and ret e-9 navy(in process) all of which I work with 4+ years.

App2123

Did anyone get picked up for CW without the calc abs physics courses? I have calc 1 and physic 1 and 2(alg based).

28, BS in Applied Econ 2.8, M.S in IT 3.5, Security+...currently studying for network+ and ITIL. LoR from President of company, ret e-8(Army), o-4 ret Navy pilot, and ret e-9 navy(in process) all of which I work with 4+ years.

I did :)