• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

511 tactical boot

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I think most will agree that breaking in a new pair of boots at OCS is not the best idea. You might consider showing up with a pair you know won't cut your feet up.

Bad feet is bad news

Most people actually show up to OCS without having been in boots before and have no problems. I didn't have any and I didn't buy boots before hand. The cycle actually has boot break in time built into it. Don't buy boots before hand, you don't need to. In fact, the less you bring to OCS the better. But hey, I just went through the most recent class so what do I know.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
With all the shit you have to lug around there the first few days its not that hard to throw an extra pair of boots in the mix. If you want to bring them go ahead. I did and was glad that I did. Others didnt and did just fine. Up to you entirely.

Recidivist

Most people actually show up to OCS without having been in boots before and have no problems. I didn't have any and I didn't buy boots before hand. The cycle actually has boot break in time built into it. Don't buy boots before hand, you don't need to. In fact, the less you bring to OCS the better. But hey, I just went through the most recent class so what do I know.

Totally concur with this. I went through 199, did not bring broken in boots and was one of the few dudes that never had any blister problems. Only caviat is that if you have fucked up feet, you probably want to have a pair, or at least get a good idea of what boot fits you. The cash sales uniform issue doesn't afford much time for trying on multiple boots and walking around to see if you like the fit.

My recommendation: Don't buy boots until after first libo if you still want them, and don't buy any more Bates products than you have to.

Fetter

Well, my current situation is that I am stuck w/ some Belleville Jungles after a debacle w/ the Lejeune PX...not crazy about them, but it was the best I could do with my allotted time. I also don't like pissing off my PTAD officers while I fumble around the boot section trying to find the best pair for my overpronated feet. I actually exchanged a pair of Bates regular for these Bellevilles because after some walking around in regular bates; 1, they were a bit too small and 2, the bottom tread/sole has a middle platform that you stand on and it doesn't feel very stable.

So the question now is do I go ahead and get some bates lights or wait...I guess I'll tally up the opinions after a while, hah.

Or I could just pull out that Decisiveness leadership trait and decide on my own- but you guys are helpful. Thanks.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
They also issue Danners. It's the luck of the draw at to what you get. Don't buy bates Lites until week 3 libo. You won't be allowed to wear them until then anyway.

Its interesting to hear that they are issuing Danners at OCS. My best guess is that those are reserved for the Winter Companys that have less Candidates and get some of the more gucchi gear, as opposed to Summer when there are five times as many people on deck.

Also, what boot you are required to wear is definately platoon/company dependent. Some staff are totally anal about everyone wearing the same boots...others dont give a shit. I bought a pair of lites before juniors and never had any problems with them. They felt great on all those boots/utes runs in Seniors. This allowed me to save my ICBs as just an inspection boot. Sure, its not that hard to clean boots, but you know...you are already on limited time, wouldnt you like to save some time if you got the chance? I say get some boots. At least it will give you a little bit of time to see what running in them is like before you HAVE to do it.

But hey..what do I know. I have only been through both juniors and seniors, underwent two pickups and have had 7 SIs on my ass all the time (Yes, my seniors platoon had FOUR Sergeant Instructors...good times). So we measuring for length or girth??? :icon_wink

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
Well, my current situation is that I am stuck w/ some Belleville Jungles after a debacle w/ the Lejeune PX...not crazy about them, but it was the best I could do with my allotted time. I also don't like pissing off my PTAD officers while I fumble around the boot section trying to find the best pair for my overpronated feet. I actually exchanged a pair of Bates regular for these Bellevilles because after some walking around in regular bates; 1, they were a bit too small and 2, the bottom tread/sole has a middle platform that you stand on and it doesn't feel very stable.

So the question now is do I go ahead and get some bates lights or wait...I guess I'll tally up the opinions after a while, hah.

Or I could just pull out that Decisiveness leadership trait and decide on my own- but you guys are helpful. Thanks.

I was issued belleville jungles and bates ICBs, during the initial break in period when we were required to wear both switching off at different periods of the day I hated my bates, they were uncomfortable and I wore them on the O-course once and they have absolutely no grip on the rope IMHO. Therefore I saved them for inspections and used the belleville jungles for everything they were comfortable had good grip and the construction was better so they weren't falling apart in two weeks, I also knew we were going to be in the water a lot and therefore wanted to use the jungles so at least some of it could get out...

my .02 anyway

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Its interesting to hear that they are issuing Danners at OCS. My best guess is that those are reserved for the Winter Companys that have less Candidates and get some of the more gucchi gear, as opposed to Summer when there are five times as many people on deck.

Also, what boot you are required to wear is definately platoon/company dependent. Some staff are totally anal about everyone wearing the same boots...others dont give a shit. I bought a pair of lites before juniors and never had any problems with them. They felt great on all those boots/utes runs in Seniors. This allowed me to save my ICBs as just an inspection boot. Sure, its not that hard to clean boots, but you know...you are already on limited time, wouldnt you like to save some time if you got the chance? I say get some boots. At least it will give you a little bit of time to see what running in them is like before you HAVE to do it.

But hey..what do I know. I have only been through both juniors and seniors, underwent two pickups and have had 7 SIs on my ass all the time (Yes, my seniors platoon had FOUR Sergeant Instructors...good times). So we measuring for length or girth??? :icon_wink

Yeah, we got camelbaks and ILBE packs in the winter cycle. But you got to go on field trips to DC to look at museums and be tourists. :)

I did buy some bates lites during week 3 libo, and they are great for those Boots and Utes runs, as well as the combat course and the E course and just regular garrison use. My ICBs were used when we went to the field (we had snow and ice everytime) and on cold days, and my jungles were about a 1/2 size too big, so after the manadatory 4-5 week "break in your boots together" period was over they became my inspection boots. The entire company was one a break in program. ICBs one day, Jungles the next and running shoes the third day, then repeat for 4-5 weeks. After week 3 we could wear the bates lites as jungle boots, but not before.

Slammer2

Contributor
Yeah, we got camelbaks and ILBE packs in the winter cycle. But you got to go on field trips to DC to look at museums and be tourists. :)

I did buy some bates lites during week 3 libo, and they are great for those Boots and Utes runs, as well as the combat course and the E course and just regular garrison use. My ICBs were used when we went to the field (we had snow and ice everytime) and on cold days, and my jungles were about a 1/2 size too big, so after the manadatory 4-5 week "break in your boots together" period was over they became my inspection boots. The entire company was one a break in program. ICBs one day, Jungles the next and running shoes the third day, then repeat for 4-5 weeks. After week 3 we could wear the bates lites as jungle boots, but not before.

Interesting. We did a similar thing (summer of 2006) but it was really only that first 4 days after issue that we did that. Then they said wear whatever you want but you better break them all in!

Fetter

Do they let you show up w/ two pair of boots? Such as jungles and lites. That way I can just get the issued ICBs and be good to go with my pre-broken in boots.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Do they let you show up w/ two pair of boots? Such as jungles and lites. That way I can just get the issued ICBs and be good to go with my pre-broken in boots.

Negative. you can bring both pairs of boots if you like, but they are going to issue you two pairs no matter what.

I want to add a quick note about brining your own gear (boots and such). If, god forbid, you get dropped they take back all of the cammies and boots they issue you. Often times, they dont bother to go through to see if any of it is trash that you brought yourself and they may take it "back". I even know of Candidates who were dropped from seniors and had all of their woodland cammies taken back even though they recieved them in juniors and brought them back with them for seniors. This caused problems for them when they returned to another seniors class and had to try and explain that they dont have any gear because it was all taken from them. Not to try and dissuade you from bringing a pair of boots, because I certainly recommend it..Just wanted to add some thoughts on the gear topic.

Slammer2

Contributor
Negative. you can bring both pairs of boots if you like, but they are going to issue you two pairs no matter what.

I want to add a quick note about brining your own gear (boots and such). If, god forbid, you get dropped they take back all of the cammies and boots they issue you. Often times, they dont bother to go through to see if any of it is trash that you brought yourself and they may take it "back". I even know of Candidates who were dropped from seniors and had all of their woodland cammies taken back even though they recieved them in juniors and brought them back with them for seniors. This caused problems for them when they returned to another seniors class and had to try and explain that they dont have any gear because it was all taken from them. Not to try and dissuade you from bringing a pair of boots, because I certainly recommend it..Just wanted to add some thoughts on the gear topic.

Do they take you to a room to tell you you're dropped and then when you come back your stuff gone? Or do they just pry everything from your hands no matter what it is?

Sounds crappy either way, but just wondering how people could let not issued stuff be turned back in.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Do they take you to a room to tell you you're dropped and then when you come back your stuff gone? Or do they just pry everything from your hands no matter what it is?

Sounds crappy either way, but just wondering how people could let not issued stuff be turned back in.

No idea..I have never been dropped. But from what I have seen, the Co Police Sgt pretty much rolled in and confinscated all the trash from people that were dropped from my platoon. He didnt stick around long enough to really ask any questions, but it was always AFTER they had talked with the CO.

I only know about the issue with the "rolled" Seniors because we had a few in my platoon who had to explain to cash sales how they needed the full issue because when they were dropped before everything was taken from them.

Fetter

So, I got my bates lites in the mail today...they fit right and feel good w/ my superfeet insoles. Great Success! Hope they don't fall apart on me though- they definitely don't seem as well constructed as the others. The tread is horrible as you all mentioned, but they are light as a mofo. They fit my feet though- that is what I am most concerned about.

I am glad I asked before showing up at OCS with those 511 TAC boots.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
So, I got my bates lites in the mail today...they fit right and feel good w/ my superfeet insoles. Great Success! Hope they don't fall apart on me though- they definitely don't seem as well constructed as the others. The tread is horrible as you all mentioned, but they are light as a mofo. They fit my feet though- that is what I am most concerned about.

I am glad I asked before showing up at OCS with those 511 TAC boots.

Yeah dont run on concrete surfaces with them because the tread is irreplaceable like other boots. I kind of go with the philosophy of just wearing them on runs and O course to try and preserve the life of them.