• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

511 tactical boot

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I am by no means up on Marine OCS regs, but something about being the one guy that is different than the rest doesn't really seem like a good idea when going through there.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I guess I should have said it earlier, but if you are still looking for a boot, I would recommend looking at the Bates Lights and the Bates Hot Weather.

The Light is very light and good for the runs, their Hot Weather boot is also relatively light, but it has a lot more aggressive sole which will help with traction. I usually took the Light's out on just straight boots and utes runs and the Hot Weathers came out for hikes and things like the O-Course/E-Course.

It sounds excessive, but you will want at least 2 pairs of boots there, if not even 3. One pair of your boots will ALWAYS be wet, so you want at least 2 so you can switch back and forth, and 3 is good so that you can keep a pair for inspections. I believe they will issue you one or two pairs of boots, but they will be pretty standard and not as nice as the Bates.

MettGT

pilot
I guess I should have said it earlier, but if you are still looking for a boot, I would recommend looking at the Bates Lights and the Bates Hot Weather.

The Light is very light and good for the runs, their Hot Weather boot is also relatively light, but it has a lot more aggressive sole which will help with traction. I usually took the Light's out on just straight boots and utes runs and the Hot Weathers came out for hikes and things like the O-Course/E-Course.

It sounds excessive, but you will want at least 2 pairs of boots there, if not even 3. One pair of your boots will ALWAYS be wet, so you want at least 2 so you can switch back and forth, and 3 is good so that you can keep a pair for inspections. I believe they will issue you one or two pairs of boots, but they will be pretty standard and not as nice as the Bates.

They get issued 2 pair of boots, one jungle and one ICB, which could either be Bates or Bellevilles. I recommend buying the Bates Lites as the 3rd pair.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
They get issued 2 pair of boots, one jungle and one ICB, which could either be Bates or Bellevilles. I recommend buying the Bates Lites as the 3rd pair.

They also issue Danners. It's the luck of the draw at to what you get. Don't buy bates Lites until week 3 libo. You won't be allowed to wear them until then anyway.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
They also issue Danners. It's the luck of the draw at to what you get. Don't buy bates Lites until week 3 libo. You won't be allowed to wear them until then anyway.

I would assume this is platoon to platoon, but nobody batted an eye at me wearing my Bates Lites the first day.

Buy the Bates Lites early and get them broke in! Wear them on the runs, and pretty much any other time. Wear the issued ICBs on humps, and use the second pair of jungles that are issued for inspection. Just my opinion and how I got through OCS. I'm still using my bates lites now in TBS, but they are now field boots. Gotta buy a new pair of garrison Lites this week.

Fetter

Thanks for the replies.

My problem is that my foot seems to fall between a bates 8.5 and 9. I either get my foot pinched or my heel slides around...wtf.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Try the smaller size but in a wide or extra wide. A friend gave me an extra pair of bates he had and they were a half size small but extra wide and they fit just fine.

Lawman

None
Try the smaller size but in a wide or extra wide. A friend gave me an extra pair of bates he had and they were a half size small but extra wide and they fit just fine.

Agreed. Tight boots may be a little less comfortable, but loose boots are a sure ticket to blisters.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks for the replies.

My problem is that my foot seems to fall between a bates 8.5 and 9. I either get my foot pinched or my heel slides around...wtf.

Take the boots to a shoe/leather repair store and have them stretched where they are tight on your foot. It doesn't cost too much and only takes a few minutes.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I think most will agree that breaking in a new pair of boots at OCS is not the best idea. You might consider showing up with a pair you know won't cut your feet up.

Bad feet is bad news

Amall

I have a pair of Rocky S2Vs and they are amazing. I had the crappy Bates ones and could barely keep up in the field because they were cutting into my heel but, I could run for miles in these babies.