• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

5 Aerial Battles that put Top Gun to shame

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The first two are definitely well known and I agree. The last three, I know about them but there are greater battles out there. Werner Voss taking on 7 British aces alone in his triplane....VF-791 Panthers engaging Soviet Mig-15's, 3 vs 7, downing 4 of the with LT Middleton downing 3 of the 4. May 10 1972 would be another I think.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I find it weird that the writers on cracked generally do better research for aviation articles than newsweek, time, CNN, fox, abc, nbc, and cbs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The EF-111 in the third story was not officially credited with a kill and according to the guy who wrote this book, a former F-111 driver who said that he would love to have an F-111 credited with a kill, that was the right call.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I find it weird that the writers on cracked generally do better research for aviation articles than newsweek, time, CNN, fox, abc, nbc, and cbs.

Meh... Probably because they rely on humor to draw an audience, not sensationalism... Sometimes the funniest (or most badass) shit is complete truth and is worth researching.

MPH

Meh... Probably because they rely on humor to draw an audience, not sensationalism... Sometimes the funniest (or most badass) shit is complete truth and is worth researching.

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that all of cracked's writers are freelance and paid by the article. If you're writing a one-off piece, it might as well be something you're actually interested in.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The EF-111 in the third story was not officially credited with a kill and according to the guy who wrote this book, a former F-111 driver who said that he would love to have an F-111 credited with a kill, that was the right call.

Yeah, an Eagle driver got the credit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
"Dashing" Dave McCampbell's nine kill mission at Leyte Gulf??

Not sure about that one, granted a record setter for the US but they were poorly flown Kamikazes. Of course still impressive though. I think Hans-Joachim Marseille "claim" of 17 British fighters shot down on three missions in one day, 1 Sept 1942 is more impressive. Though most likely the actual score was less as most high claims were almost always exaggerated.

Owen

You're entitled......consider...........NINE kills......20 - 24
seconds firing time......SIX rounds remaining after trap.
NOBODY HAS EVER BEATEN THAT GUNNERY RECORD.
USMC ace Jim Swett approached it as did Jeff DeBlanc in
Wildcats. GOD BLESS them all.....we speak English today....

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Or Frank Luke during World War I shooting down 18 over the course of eight days. Not exactly one dogfight, but a hell of a spree none the less.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Picture is worth a thousand words:
Alex-Vraciu-Hellcat-Six-Kills-small.jpg

LTjg Alex Vraciu displays his total from the Turkey Shoot.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You're entitled......consider...........NINE kills......20 - 24
seconds firing time......SIX rounds remaining after trap.
NOBODY HAS EVER BEATEN THAT GUNNERY RECORD.
USMC ace Jim Swett approached it as did Jeff DeBlanc in
Wildcats. GOD BLESS them all.....we speak English today....

Again, impressive but they were not highly trained opponents. The record has been beaten, just not my another American. So easy there Hoss lol.