• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

4y NROTC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerimarfc

Right now everything but my GPA (2.89) kicks as. 1280 SAT, sports: varsity wrestling, Rugby, swimming, leadership: Soph. pres., Club President, CHemistry and English tutor. Not to name a few other smaller things here and there.

OK, enough ass kissing,
boring_125.gif
my problem is I am horrible at talking to new people. Soon I am going to have to be interviewed by a Capt. Tuttle and I am wondering what type of interview it will be? Can I get any tips? What are my chances of getting the scholarship at this moment?

P.S. Im already pritty nervous...thinking of picking up smoking.

NuSnake

stay away from smokin man...thats definately not gonna help.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

Alex Fowler

Hey Brian, I was in your shoes just a few years ago, applying for an NROTC scholarship, now I am a Midshipman at Boston College. (Although when I had my interview for NROTC it was with a Chief, I wonder why yours is with a Captain.)

The main thing I would say is try to get your GPA up. I'm assuming you're going into your senior year so you won't have much time to do this, but if you can get it above a 3.0 that'll help a lot. My GPA in high school was about 3.3, technically not that much better than yours, but the selection boards are really looking for something in the 3+ range. That's what I'd say is your weakest point right now but it doesn't automatically mean you won't get a scholarship. I would also re-take your SATs and try to get them above 1300--mathematically it's only a 20 point difference, but psychologically it's a bigger difference than that. Your sports and extra-curriculars look great.

As far as "talking to new people", this is a skill you will have to acquire. Not just in your selection interview, but in NROTC and the Navy itself, and for most jobs in the civilian world, you will constantly be interacting with new people. Remember that when you are commissioned you will go to a flight squadron or a ship and it will be your job to lead enlisted sailors, many of whom will come from very different backgrounds than yourself. You will need to be skilled at "talking to new people" (superiors, peers, and subordinates) in NROTC, in flight school, and in the fleet. In the long term, there are a lot of things you can do about this--most people naturally become more socially interactive as they go thru college, and if you still need help you can even take a speech course in college. For the short term, the best advice I can give you is to BE CONFIDENT. Be humble, but be confident. Walk in, look whoever is interviewing you (you will probably be interviewed by 1 or 2 people in addition to the Capt.) in the eye, give them a firm handshake, call them "sir" or "ma'am", answer whatever questions they ask you clearly. If they ask you if you have any questions of your own, don't be afraid to do so (it shows eagerness). I was interviewed by a Chief and another enlisted sailor (seperately), they asked me questions like why did I want to be in the Navy, what do I want to do in the Navy, what do I have to offer the Navy. I was asked one question that I was completely unprepared for and it took me a little while (probably only a few seconds but it seemed like hours) to think of an answer--sorry I can't tell you what it was, but it would've been easy to answer if I'd been able to prepare and I can't take away all your fun. ;)

If you have time the day of your interview, lift some weights and go for a run--not only is it good for you, but you'll look better (lifting weights makes your muscles temporarily swell up and this makes you look more impressive) and feel better. Then watch a few scenes of "Top Gun" to get yourself fired up.

Bottom line, just be relaxed (don't smoke, it won't help you when it comes time for PT!), be confident, be humble and respectful but BE CONFIDENT. The Navy and Marine Corps don't want officers who are going to second-guess everything, who can't make up their minds and who look unsure in front of their troops; they want officers who make a good impression, lead by example, and are decisive. In many situations, ANY decision is the right decision--the toughest part is making it.

If you don't get a scholarship, it's not the end of the world--go to a college with NROTC, join the College Program, and you can apply for a scholarship (most College Programmers get them by the end of their sophomore year, many by the end of freshman year). But the best way is to have a scholarship, and in order to get a scholarship you need to go into your interview with confidence.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail at fowleral@bc.edu, otherwise good luck.

GO EAGLES!! (Boston College and Philadelphia)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All very good recommendations. As someone that has interviewed hundreds of officer candidates (up until a few yeas ago every OCS applicant had to have two officer interviews)including NROTC candidates I can add something. Absolutely say "yes sir". I can't tell you how many guys shrug their shoulds and respond with "ya" and "na". Sit up straight. Don't be nervous. They know they are talking to a high school student. They don't expect a polished interview. Dress nicely. Does not have to be a suit or tie. Just don't wear shorts and a T-shirt. I have seen it. Do plan on addressing you GPA. If asked why it is low have an answer, but don't make it sound like an excuse. Then follow with your plan for getting your GPA up. When a question comes around to your strong points don't be afraid to expound a bit. If he talks class president then you talk about what you learned about leadership and group dymanics. If he talks about athletics you go on about how you love to work out and compete. Be certain about all that you can be. If you don't have an answer just say so. Don't try to fake it. Just say "That is a good question, I have never really thought about it. Can't say I have an answer sir. I expect I'll be thinking about it still tonight." Or something like that. That said, that better not be your answer for things like why you want to be a naval officer, what college you want to attend or your major! If you are on a subject you are comfortable with then just have a conversation with him. The more you are on that subject the less likely he will have time to ask something that puts you on the spot. If you do get put on the spot don't worry. Just go on. He just did that to see how you handle it. Some questions have no right answer or none at all for some one of you experience. Just press on. Don't feel like having a Capt do the interview versus a Chief is a bum deal. Having a Capt sign your interview may help you. Good Luck!

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
DO NOT SMOKE. I repeat, DO NOT SMOKE. Cancer sticks are bad for you.

As for the interviews, relax and be confident. Remember that first impressions count for a lot. That means dress well (I wore a coat and tie to all of mine; I've done about 5 of these types of interviews in the past year), make sure your hair is cut, and you look clean. Give the interviewers a firm handshake if they offer one. Look them in the eye when you first walk in the room and say "good morning, sir/ma'am". They don't expect you to have perfect military etiquette, but they will expect you to be respectful and courteous. That means say "yes,sir" or "yes, ma'am".

When I had my first NROTC interview, I was interview by a Chief. He hit me with some serious questions that I didn't expect at all, but by the end we were actually making fun of one of our senators. He also quizzed me on some Naval History to see how motivated I was. You should probably know these answers anyway, even if you are never asked these questions.

Where is the US Naval Academy?
Who is the father of the modern, nuclear navy?
What is considered to be the turning point battle of WW2?

Annapolis, Admiral Hyman Richover, Battle of Midway

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Status
Not open for further replies.